Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2015 5:35:35 PM EDT
I took my Ar15 to the range this afternoon loaded up 4 mags 3 -55 grain and 1- 62 grain. I inserted one of the 55 grain mags and shot one shot.
Aimed again at my target (100yards) and pulled the trigger again. Lined up for the 3rd shot went to pull the trigger and it was locked up /would not move, tried to move the safety it would not move either, so I pulled the bcg out and inspected nothing found I looked into the trigger housing could not see anything. I gave up went home and pulled the trigger out and found a primer and some small pieces of brass stuck in the back were the safety shaft is jamming the entire works. Just wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem. Ammo was the American Eagle 55 grain FMJ the stuff at Academy in the green box.. :grumble only got to shoot 2 shots. My barrel is 1x9 which ammo is the best for the twist?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
62 grain or less should work fine in your 1 in 9 twist barrel, it does in mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I took my Ar15 to the range this afternoon loaded up 4 mags 3 -55 grain and 1- 62 grain. I inserted one of the 55 grain mags and shot one shot.
Aimed again at my target (100yards) and pulled the trigger again. Lined up for the 3rd shot went to pull the trigger and it was locked up /would not move, tried to move the safety it would not move either, so I pulled the bcg out and inspected nothing found I looked into the trigger housing could not see anything. I gave up went home and pulled the trigger out and found a primer and some small pieces of brass stuck in the back were the safety shaft is jamming the entire works. Just wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem. Ammo was the American Eagle 55 grain FMJ the stuff at Academy in the green box.. :grumble only got to shoot 2 shots. My barrel is 1x9 which ammo is the best for the twist?
View Quote

not this specifically but I had a bad day at the range too, if its any consolation. RSO had a stick up his and yelled at me 3 times. I couldn't even get my guns sighted in before I had enough of them and left.
(for what is worth, RSO yelled at me because; During a firing session, I took probably 3 shots with my AR, put my safety ON. Then put the gun on the shooting table, (pointed down range) and leaned over to look through my spotting scope. Never was the gun out of my reach or in any "danger" He said unless the gun is in my shoulder the magazine must be out with the bolt locked back. Funny thing was he was carring a loaded 1911 on his hip the whole time. I should have asked him to unload his gun because it wasn't in his shoulder. )
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blown primers are a sign of overpressure. If your chamber is NOT 5.56 you should not be firing 5.56 pressured ammo out of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Blown primers happen once in a while and when they do, they often times find themselves lodged somewhere in the trigger, jamming things up.

The thing to do is determine why the primer blew.  Most likely over pressure but could have been a bad round.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, a blown primer has zero to do with the twist rate of the barrel
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a blown primer jam the trigger during an NRA service rifle match. Fortunately I was allowed to fix the problem while still on the line and finish the stage of fire. This was with match hand loads. For serious situations, I only run proven, crimped ammunition. Don't ever want this to happen again..

1DD
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Happens all the time with my reloads. I push the limit
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had it happen with reloads, but never with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The range I shoot at has kids for RSO's most of them don't know much about guns only to yell for rapid fire or 2 x taps. That's crazy, I bet it's hard to keep a rifle shouldered while looking through a spotting scope. I've never tried that.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top