Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 9:16:28 AM EDT
I just wanted to post about this ammo before it blows up anyones gun.

I got it from the ammunition store, to run it through a HK21. I generally use silver bear but its just about dried up.

this was in the description:

Manufactured in 2009-2010 for Wolf by the Ulyanovsk Factory. This ammo is a limited purchase that was contracted in smaller quantities so the Wolf Performance guarantee does not apply..

Lot number is 1097-09, with the "10" being very faint

Heres what it did.

The cases are smashed from them not cycling the gun, just note the bases. Yes those are cracks where they blew out the side at the base.

A sample of the primers being blown. The gun was running like crap and I thought it was the gun. What it really was was the primers inside the gun causing feeding problems, and the blown cases not ejecting.

What you can't see is inside the blown cases, is it looks like the base of the case cracked from the case wall, and there is a fine "circle" in the web of the case outlining the primer-personally I think the case was/is manf poorly.  

I pulled 10 rounds but could not find anything funky with the powder load, it was ball powder BTW.

Anyways wolf said they will replace it, gave me a shipping tag and off it went.  

We will see.

BTW the gun was headspaced correctly and I ran 500 or so of my last silver bear to confirm its good. Its the ammo not the gun. I also did not take the time to look at the cases when shooting it after having problems. I did not suspect the ammo until so old guy brought the pimerless cases to me and then i started looking.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Well ....that's a fine way to muck up your day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My PTR digests it just fine, but IMO steel case is a hell of a gamble when feeding a Class III, much less a belt-fed one. Don't even get me started on OUT OF WARRANTY steel case... I'd make the little extra leap to Prvi if I had money for an HK21.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks like a bad deal right there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up.  Was this stuff in WMC packaging or generic white boxes?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just wanted to post about this ammo before it blows up anyones gun.

I got it from the ammunition store, to run it through a HK21. I generally use silver bear but its just about dried up.

this was in the description:

Manufactured in 2009-2010 for Wolf by the Ulyanovsk Factory. This ammo is a limited purchase that was contracted in smaller quantities so the Wolf Performance guarantee does not apply..

Lot number is 1097-09, with the "10" being very faint

Heres what it did.

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/case%20damage_zps28ixgdtu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/case%20damage_zps28ixgdtu.jpg</a>

The cases are smashed from them not cycling the gun, just note the bases. Yes those are cracks where they blew out the side at the base.

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/20150318_143851_zpsdy23oggz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20150318_143851_zpsdy23oggz.jpg</a>

A sample of the primers being blown. The gun was running like crap and I thought it was the gun. What it really was was the primers inside the gun causing feeding problems, and the blown cases not ejecting.

What you can't see is inside the blown cases, is it looks like the base of the case cracked from the case wall, and there is a fine "circle" in the web of the case outlining the primer-personally I think the case was/is manf poorly.  

I pulled 10 rounds but could not find anything funky with the powder load, it was ball powder BTW.

Anyways wolf said they will replace it, gave me a shipping tag and off it went.  

We will see.

BTW the gun was headspaced correctly and I ran 500 or so of my last silver bear to confirm its good. Its the ammo not the gun. I also did not take the time to look at the cases when shooting it after having problems. I did not suspect the ammo until so old guy brought the pimerless cases to me and then i started looking.

View Quote

I just bough 500 rounds at a gunshow before I read this post.  I got 10 rounds through my PA10 before the total case head separation.  No damage to the rifle.   What is the contact information for Wolf?  I would like a replacement on this also.Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Well now, that's not a very nice thing to have happen.  I had been thinking about buying some Monarch Steel .308 (made by Barnaul) but hadn't had a chance to act on this.  I am not now doubting Barnaul, but I'm certainly going to be very, very careful when I start shooting it...

Taylor, any mechanical issues, damage, or injuries, or was this just a "crap, this crap isn't working worth crap" situation?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the contact information for Wolf?  I would like a replacement on this also.Thanks
View Quote

call the number on the website
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Taylor, any mechanical issues, damage, or injuries, or was this just a "crap, this crap isn't working worth crap" situation?
View Quote

just a lot of smoke and would not cycle the gun. no mech damage.

BTW barnaul ammo is GTG and i will continue with silver bear ammo , this is not from barnaul factory
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top