Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2015 11:42:28 PM EDT
New ar owner here.. What is the best way to store ammo at the house?
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo can and desiccant if long term. Cheapest place i can consistently find ammo cans is on Ebay. I suggest getting .30 cal cans. Throw in the ammo, slap a label on the can, and stack it on the shelf or floor. Easy to carry even if full of ammo, water proof, stackable and sturdy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
This. I did find some cans at a local army surplus store that were a decent price.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ammo can and desiccant if long term. Cheapest place i can consistently find ammo cans is on Ebay. I suggest getting .30 cal cans. Throw in the ammo, slap a label on the can, and stack it on the shelf or floor. Easy to carry even if full of ammo, water proof, stackable and sturdy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two unopened Wolf 1K cases, otherwise everything is in ammo cans in the back of a closet in my office.  50 cal cans for rifle and pistol ammo. Loose or boxed.

40mm (i think) cans for shot shell. The 40mm cans are almost 2 feet long and i can fit 16 25 round boxes (400 rounds) in them. All stay in their 25 round box until use.

Extra mags go in 50 cal cans.

Primers go in 50 cal cans, but stored in another area.

All ammo cans get some sort of desiccant pack for moisture control.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've gotten new 50 cal cans from Bass Pro for $20. Army Navy stores are $20 and used. Not that a can is a fancy piece of work and can't be reused, I just don't want rust already installed for the same price as new. Same cans too, not some Chinese knock off. Op, put it in cans and if you can indoors for climate control, the humidity outside is the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone heard of throwing in a small amount of rice for long term storage? Seemed hokey, but logically makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes sense. People put it in salt shakers to act as a desiccant. However, i think the actually desiccant packs can be had for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a fan of rice.

Desi. paks are dirt cheap in bulk.

Loose ammo in .30 cal & .50 cal cans with desi paks for brass cased and one of the empty packages with a lot # , date of purchase, price paid.

Outside labeled with type, quantity, date of purchase.

VCI packs added to all steel cased product.

Store off of any concrete floor on 2x4's or a pallet . ( Minimize heat transfer from a frozen concrete floor.. )
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep all my magazines slammed with FMJs, except my 10 round mag. I keep Barnes hollow tips in the 10 round for first response self defense and hunting. Then I store the rest of my FMJ ammo on stripper clips in 2 30 cal cans, 2 7.62 cans, and a cheap plano can. I keep all of my "nice" ammo in the box, including my Barnes and Hornady.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]

.50 Ammo can holds 1K rds.  Easy to keep count of that way.  Put label w/ lot # in each can for reference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I mainly use 50 caliber ammo cans that are brand new with an excellent rubber seal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer to keep my ammo in the original factory package inside .50 cal can.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Usually just in the factory package in cardboard boxes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Standard ammo cans & dessicant for me. I keep a paper bag half full of rice as a dessicant in my gun safes, cheap and works great, but since space is tight in my ammo cans I use the silica packs with the colored 'end of life' dots. Since they don't get opened as often I rarely have to replace those packs. If buying a used ammo can make sure the seals are good, I've seen crappy seals smeared with vaseline work great for about a month then disintegrate. New cans are $15 to $25 in steel or plastic, both work well, spring for steel if you're stacking them two or three cans deep.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I use ammo cans for the most part.  Some are still just in the factory case.  If I break them out of the factory case, I like to keep something that references the lot number just in case there's an issue or a recall.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If it's boxed ammo then I just put the factory boxes in a .50 ammo can with a desiccant pack.

If it's loose ammo, I usually put it in zip-lock bags with 100 rnds per bag for convenience.  You can get about 1,000 rnds in a can loose.

And one can of loaded PMags... in case of a Zombie attack  

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You can buy a 4lb bag of Mimi Litter at Walmart which is essentially just silica for around 5 bucks and make your own desiccant packs on the cheap.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The kitty litter thing has been debunked in the past.  I leave ammo in the factory boxes then into ammo cans.  The large cans are awesome because they are harder for a burglar to carry off.  I let the ammo sit in my climate controlled house for a while before packing away.  Packed away in the wintertime the boxes will be super dry.  But in the summer when the air is running they are very dry also. I put some of the desiccant packs in too, just in case it would ever matter.

I have cleaned up some really nasty looking ammo over the years and never had a dud. So this subject is kinda more about OCD then reality. But I like clean nice things and it is easy and fun to pack it well.   Actually, more then OCD is it like hobby/collecting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The kitty litter thing has been debunked in the past.  I leave ammo in the factory boxes then into ammo cans.  The large cans are awesome because they are harder for a burglar to carry off.  I let the ammo sit in my climate controlled house for a while before packing away.  Packed away in the wintertime the boxes will be super dry.  But in the summer when the air is running they are very dry also. I put some of the desiccant packs in too, just in case it would ever matter.

I have cleaned up some really nasty looking ammo over the years and never had a dud. So this subject is kinda more about OCD then reality. But I like clean nice things and it is easy and fun to pack it well.   Actually, more then OCD is it like hobby/collecting.
View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean by "debunked". Mimi Litter is made out silica, not clay, which is what desiccant packs are made of.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I use .50cal ammo cans. I usually leave the ammo in the factory boxes and depending on the size of the boxes can get between 900-1000rds in each can. I make my own desiccant packs out of coffee filters and some silica flower drying material that I got at a craft store. The stuff I got can be reactivated by baking it in the oven. The seals in my cans aren't the greatest so I open up each can about twice a year and replace the packs in them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to use desiccant.
After 20+ yrs of empirical testing, I have decided it's a waste of effort.

Never found any functional difference between ammo packed with desiccant vs. not packed with desiccant,

stored loose in ammo cans or stored in their original boxes in ammo cans.

or stored in their original boxes and left sitting on a shelf for years.

The only ammo I have ever had any serious problems with was some 1940-50 era surplus Turkish 8mm Mauser,
but it was bad the day I bought it at the gunshow.

I remember people here buying the surplus Guatemalan battlepacks and some had termite holes and the ammo showed some corrosion,
but the ammo still performed.

I decided that the desiccant is more of a feel good add-on.

YMMV
Flame away.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Boxed ammo inside 30 and 50 caliber ammo cans.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Depending on humidity levels, and how much moisture is locked up in the silica, don't forget to recharge it. That's a great source of cheap dessicant!

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "debunked". Mimi Litter is made out silica, not clay, which is what desiccant packs are made of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

.50 Ammo can holds 1K rds.  Easy to keep count of that way.  Put label w/ lot # in each can for reference.
View Quote

1240 rounds if on stripper clips.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Usually just in the factory package in cardboard boxes.
View Quote

Ive been moving in this direction. getting rid of the ammo cans.

My primary storage method for 5.56mm ammo will continue to be in loaded magazines in a pelican case that holds ten mags.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Meh. Next problem is where to store all the cans...
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I am a fairly old fart and have some ammo that I bought years ago and it was old them . I have honestly not seen any problems with just stacking it in factory boxes on a shelf.

If you are tossing it in a toolshed , barn or wet basement your mileage may vary.Same thing if you live in a swamp or seacoast

Bought some Guat surplus that looked like the cardboard packages were leaching and there was heavy tarnish on some of it . Likely started when it had been stored in some jungle somewhere. I dumped it into my tumbler for a few minutes and then tossed into zip-loc bags and into a rubber tub . Cleaned up fairly well and has not changed in ten years . this ammo is nearing 30 years and still works just fine.

I keep my ammo in my living space of my home , Why people are so interested to spend lots on ammo and then put it in the attic ,basement or barn is beyond me
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I keep 2 loaded AR mags on "standby", in safe with evil/expensive guns. All HD handguns loaded. A few rounds stored in gun cabinet with "not evil" hunting guns. Bulk ammo is in ammo cans, ammo cans are stored in a big metal job box like they sell at lowe's, in garage locked up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Ammo cans, and more recently 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids and a big pack of desiccant. This is also where I store my powder and primers, the lids just spin off and if I ever got that far into it I have mylar bags with oxy absorbers but that might only be if I for some reason feel the need to bury it in the backyard.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top