Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 10:18:01 PM EDT
With all the panic buying last month after the proposed ATF ban on 855 it seems even the cheaper 223 ammo is hard to find now.  Specifically Wolf Gold is near impossible to find now except on places like Gunbroker with typical ridiculous Gunbroker prices.  I am wondering how the hive feels about the Geco 223 55gr and the PMZ Bronze 223 55gr as alternatives to Wolf Gold?  Both of those are running around $340 a case and seem readily available.  Members that have had chance to run the Geco and PMC against the Wolf what are your thoughts, pros and cons?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot thousands of rounds of all three.  They're all good to go.  The PMC is a little less hot but the accuracy is similar.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
GECO 55gr shoots near match quality out of every rifle I have seen it fired from.

I like it VERY much, it is my range ammo of choice.... numerous different lots have all proven accurate.

As a matter of fact Black Hills used GECO 55gr FMJ ammo to help supplement during the Obummer scare.

GECO 55gr FMJ...................GECO 223 REM..........16" ..Av. 2967 , ES 45...............20"...Av. 3128 , ES 22..........................Quite accurate, and still the "cheap" accuracy king.
Black Hills / GECO 55gr FMJ .223....................................Av 2863, ES 31..........................Av. 3000, ES 20...........................Loaded by RUAG / GECO to Black Hills Specs.

GECO is much more accurate then your other choices.

The only draw backs are.... the plastic stripper clips fit NOTHING stateside.... but you can easily snap the rounds free.

And I have no idea if the bullet frags like a M193 type bullet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
bfoosh:

Have you tried the stripper clips with the Thermold/Canadian guides?

Just curious...............................
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I've been reading Geco is really high quality, and accurate. I will confirm this when I shoot some this week, I'll report back on how I like it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never shot Gecco, but Wolf is the best bulk i've shot. Much better than AE223 and PMC.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Wolf Gold is significantly hotter than Geco. I get similar velocities with PMC bronze and geco with wolf gold 200 fps faster.

I also shot a squirrel with Geco last year. It did not fragment and the squirrel ran a good ways. When I recovered it, the exit wound was not much larger than entrance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bfoosh:

Have you tried the stripper clips with the Thermold/Canadian guides?

Just curious...............................
View Quote

Yes.... the clips have ridges down the back that make for a real good wedged in clip in the Thermold Chargers ....

You could belt sand the ribs on the back... ( ask me how I know.. ).... but boy howdy is that time consuming.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never shot Gecco, but Wolf is the best bulk i've shot. Much better than AE223 and PMC.
View Quote

Try some GECO .... you will see the difference. SGAmmo.com has it cheap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wolf Gold is significantly hotter than Geco. I get similar velocities with PMC bronze and geco with wolf gold 200 fps faster.

I also shot a squirrel with Geco last year. It did not fragment and the squirrel ran a good ways. When I recovered it, the exit wound was not much larger than entrance.
View Quote

I suspected as much about the bullet not fragmenting.... but I use the GECO at the range.... if you care to try another very accurate cheap round... PSA has Fed's Tipped Varmint on sale, also a very accurate round. $7.99 / 20.

My GECO velocities are right there with Wolf Gold... PMC Bronze was dismal though.... PMC XTAC was much better performing, spped and accuracy.

..............................................................................16" Middie.......................20" Rifle

GECO 55gr FMJ...................GECO 223 REM............Av. 2967 , ES 45...............Av. 3128 , ES 22..........................Quite accurate, and still the "cheap" accuracy king.
Black Hills / GECO 55gr FMJ .223............................Av 2863, ES 31.................Av. 3000, ES 20...........................Loaded by RUAG / GECO to Black Hills Specs.

Wolf Gold 55gr .223.............223 REM WOLF...........Av. 2951 , ES 105.............Av. 3102 , ES 50...........................

PMC 55gr Bronze....................PMC 223 REM...........Av. 2626 , ES 82...............Av. 2754 , ES 97........................ Just awful accuracy
PMC XTAC 55gr......................PSD 14.....................Av. 2994, ES 33................Av. 3180, ES 72..........................Clearly crimped and sealed. Outstanding accuracy for 55gr FMJ M193
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I should also note that temperature affects Geco quite a bit. I pulled some data I had from last summer with a 18" douglas barrel:

Temp: 70 degrees
Average velocity: 3063
Standard Deviation: 23 fps

I chronoed some this winter:

Temp: freezing balls
Average velocity: low 2900s/high 2800
Standard deviation: decent

I remember shooting in the cold most of my velocities were in the high 2800 and low 2900. Not a single round (out of 50 I shot that day) was in the 3000s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GECO 55gr shoots near match quality out of every rifle I have seen it fired from.

I like it VERY much, it is my range ammo of choice.... numerous different lots have all proven accurate.

As a matter of fact Black Hills used GECO 55gr FMJ ammo to help supplement during the Obummer scare.

GECO 55gr FMJ...................GECO 223 REM..........16" ..Av. 2967 , ES 45...............20"...Av. 3128 , ES 22..........................Quite accurate, and still the "cheap" accuracy king.
Black Hills / GECO 55gr FMJ .223....................................Av 2863, ES 31..........................Av. 3000, ES 20...........................Loaded by RUAG / GECO to Black Hills Specs.

GECO is much more accurate then your other choices.

The only draw backs are.... the plastic stripper clips fit NOTHING stateside.... but you can easily snap the rounds free.

And I have no idea if the bullet frags like a M193 type bullet.
View Quote

Nice right up.  Thanks for the advice on the Geco.  Sounds like it is GTG for my purposes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I've been reading Geco is really high quality, and accurate. I will confirm this when I shoot some this week, I'll report back on how I like it.
View Quote

Got an update for you guys. Went to the range today. Shoot some IMI m193, and Geco 55gr. Geco shot better and was more accurate out of my rifle. Really impressed with this ammo for plinking. Shot very clean, no unburnt powder, and was very accurate out to 500yds. Didn't try any further. The price is good also at around 35c a round. I'm gonna buy another case for sure.

I really wanna try some wolf gold when it's back in stock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy all the Geco you can!  PMC bronze is in my Ruger and S&W.  Seems low powered, and always has huge clouds of smoke rolling down my shooting lane.. Like back powder, Davy Crockett clouds.  i won't buy any more- ever.

The Geco is clean, clean clean. A fine .223 load!  I'm impressed enough with it I'm gonna try it on SW VA woodchucks soon.  It's an honest 1.5 MOA load in my weapons.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
just received 100 rounds of Geco to try out.  the stripper clips work perfectly in the mag chargers that come in the 1000 round Carl Gustaf cans
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just received 100 rounds of Geco to try out.  the stripper clips work perfectly in the mag chargers that come in the 1000 round Carl Gustaf cans
View Quote

Thanks for sharing ! I will try it out !

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolf Gold comes into the country in huge shipments.  Unless their agreement with Wolf is not happening anymore, it should just be a matter of time before we see this again.

I swear I read about some big ammo shipment getting held up in port.... but I cant seem to find it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Never heard of Geco till today.  I will have to try it out.  PMC Bronze is pretty good ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I swear I read about some big ammo shipment getting held up in port.... but I cant seem to find it anymore.
View Quote

FWIW, that's what AIM told me in an email. Dock strikes apparently.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for that info.  I'm on a few email alerts so I'm sure I'll get a few emails when it's back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Received 10K Geco yesterday
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you would be so kind as to let us know how well it shoots for you, that would be great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#23]
shot 60 rounds of GECO 55 gr out of my 20" AUG-A1 today.  holy fuck this stuff groups great.  much better than the CBC 62 gr (my usual great shooter) and Lake City XM193
Mean radius of this 30 round group was only 0.823", and thats with a basically unmagnified 1.5x optic

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice buy man, you're gonna like it. I think it shoots better then IMI. Very accurate and shoots CLEAN!!! I was hitting targets out to 700yrds consistently. I've stacked up 3k so far. Trying to get more without putting myself in debt haha.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
PMC Bronze 55 gr isn't very accurate for me. It's cheap when you can find it though.

Wolf Gold is good stuff. Affordable and accurate out of both my 1/9 and 1/7 barrels.

Don't overlook Prvi M193. When I can find it I buy it. It's often less expensive than Wolf Gold by a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
shot 60 rounds of GECO 55 gr out of my 20" AUG-A1 today.  holy fuck this stuff groups great.  much better than the CBC 62 gr (my usual great shooter) and Lake City XM193

Mean radius of this 30 round group was only 0.823", and thats with a basically unmagnified 1.5x optic

http://i62.tinypic.com/9zohz4.jpg

View Quote

Glad to see this.

Accurate factory ammo always makes me smile.

I have been buying this stuff for years... all five different lots have fired the same excellent accuracy.

So IMHO, if you are looking for cheap accurate range ammo.... this is a very good deal.

REMEMBER, I seriously doubt the bullet frags like M193... it probably just Ice Picks.

Now I understand "range only " ammo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
This looks perfect for me, I'm a new shooter and want to practice a lot with cheap target ammo!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually buy from cheaper than dirt, thanks for the lead on Geco and SG. Picked up 1000 rounds for my first AR on your recommendation, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I will post a photo of a outstanding ( lucky ) group I fired at the 100 yard range today.

15 rounds, 12 I could cover with my top half of my thumb.... I think I could have got all 15 under my thumb sized... but for the three fliers, I could tell each time that I pulled the trigger that it was the wrong moment.... hence the three fliers.

Scoped 20" AR.....GECO 55gr FMJ....

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow.  Seriously good for inexpensive ammo!

Rob
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top