AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For me, the 1994-2004 AWB taught me a couple of lessons:

1.  Don't assume that something will 'always' be available for a reasonable price.
2.  Have 'more than you need' so that you can sell in to a panic and still have your core (lifetime) needs met.
3.  Prices today are the 'good ol' days'  ... you'll miss them.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm confused...can some explain the importance of having that many magazines. It's not like ammo where you shoot it and it's done. Magazines last a while. I can understand if your buying them as an investment to flip later. But why the fuck do you need 100+ magazines, am I missing something?

Are we strictly talking high cap magazines for fear of them being banned? Guess with me being in California. I'm not stocking up on 10 rounders.

1.  Don't assume that something will 'always' be available for a reasonable price.
2.  Have 'more than you need' so that you can sell in to a panic and still have your core (lifetime) needs met.

TRG

Once again words of wisdom for all young Jedi to learn from.

I too remember those days and vowed never to be caught short again.

1.Liberals are outbreeding us--eventually high capacity mags/AR15's will be banned.I want enough for my son and my future grandkids.
2.Future trading/selling.
3.Better too many rather than not enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't understand what the point of a "high capacity" mag is?

I prefer and  only use  the standard capacity mags that hold 30 rounds each.  Plus they fit in my load out rig.
View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I prefer and  only use  the standard capacity mags that hold 30 rounds each.  Plus they fit in my load out rig.
View Quote

A 30 round mag is a "high capacity mag".
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1.Liberals are outbreeding us--eventually high capacity mags/AR15's will be banned.I want enough for my son and my future grandkids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm confused...can some explain the importance of having that many magazines. It's not like ammo where you shoot it and it's done. Magazines last a while. I can understand if your buying them as an investment to flip later. But why the fuck do you need 100+ magazines, am I missing something?

Are we strictly talking high cap magazines for fear of them being banned? Guess with me being in California. I'm not stocking up on 10 rounders.

TRG

In our lifetimes we've seen product turn from 'legal' to 'turn 'em in'.  We've seen common items disappear off shelves overnight (hello, rifle primers).

I buy almost anything that is under-market right now, just because tomorrow we could wake up to a 'national tragedy' and 'common sense' bans.

Go buy a 'cheap AK' or SKS.  SKS can easily top 500.00 and the ammo is now pushing 350 per k.  Supply is non-existent and not looking good for the long term either.

TRG

TRG
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think GNXGuy is making a point about the phrase "high capacity".
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A 30 round mag is a standard capacity mag as I learned in Basic and it clearly is shown in my Soldiers Guide to common tasks issued to me 30 years ago (yes I still have it somewhere)

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 30 round mag is a standard capacity mag as I learned in Basic and it clearly is shown in my Soldiers Guide to common tasks issued to me 30 years ago (yes I still have it somewhere)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Stoner begin with a straight 20 as the standard mag?

TRG
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

This, when I was in basic, a 20 rounder was standard.
But then again, we didn't have a fancy "soldiers guide", we had a drill sergeant that made things "quite clear".

I understand your point,
but I also think you know what the term means in the context of what is meant in this thread.

ETA: Also, being in Illinois, I would think you would need to be aware of the definition of "High Capacity Magazine" creeping across your state.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You can never have to much.  Might become the next currency!  If they government says you don't need it........double down!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can never have to much.  Might become the next currency!  If they government says you don't need it........double down!
View Quote

Careful about that ... as FerFAL pointed out, when his government/economy collapsed there were still laws in place.  Those laws were extended to make ammunition an items that required a license to buy/sell/trade.

And, keep in mind NY state now prohibits the transfer of ARs between individuals in state.  I'm not sure if that applies to magazines and ammo, but, if the people agree that they cannot give a gun to another, it's a minor step to prohibit all trade in magazines, ammo etc.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Based on ATF's statement that they want to ban ALL AR15 ammo (then go after everything else), no such thing as enough.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Serious?  They hold more ammo than a standard capacity.  The point of them is to hold more ammo, and thus be able to shoot more in between mag changes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Where is NT?

I'm guessing it stands for New-Tucky, you know, the nice part of the Bluegrass State

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where is NT?

I'm guessing it stands for New-Tucky, you know, the nice part of the Bluegrass State
View Quote

I am guessing OPSEC,
but NT is often used as the state code for Springfield (home of the Simpsons)
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Careful about that ... as FerFAL pointed out, when his government/economy collapsed there were still laws in place.  Those laws were extended to make ammunition an items that required a license to buy/sell/trade.

And, keep in mind NY state now prohibits the transfer of ARs between individuals in state.  I'm not sure if that applies to magazines and ammo, but, if the people agree that they cannot give a gun to another, it's a minor step to prohibit all trade in magazines, ammo etc.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I don't think that a group of us will care too much about such a law.  If it get's to the point that giving your neighbor or foxhole buddy a box of ammo is a crime, then there would be nothing left of this country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
You never have enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think that a group of us will care too much about such a law.  If it get's to the point that giving your neighbor or foxhole buddy a box of ammo is a crime, then there would be nothing left of this country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I was a gun owner  during the AWB.  I watched a lot of 'junior G-Man' gun owners walking around clucking their tongues at those who disobeyed the law.

Police, Feds, ATF, etc ... they don't ignore laws, even ones that infringe.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]
A Clinton Presidency in 2016 would create a panic like we have never seen; the rest of 2015 should be spent on purchasing magazines, ammo, and any gun you want/need.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yup. I would of bought all I could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For that price, I would buy as much as possible. You are never going to find it cheaper than that.  Seems like a mistake in pricing.

Yup. I would of bought all I could.
It's not a pricing mistake. It's been this price in TN for the past month far as I can tell, and I've stacked it deep.

9mm - 6.94/box

.40 - 8.94/box

.45 - 8.94/box

.308 - 6.94/box

.223 - 8.94/box

The 40, 45 and 223 are not as plentiful but the 9 and 308 is all you want, no limit.

I just picked up another case (1K) of the 9mm today, $154.34 out the door.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is a High Capacity mag ban in NT?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted Again and again.....I also remember the DISMAL feeling of realizing you can never buy a High Capacity mag again.....

I might just go buy another 20 right now..... Thanx Obama.

Sorry, my comment was in context to the various attempts at  gun regulation... mag bans, AWB.. etc ( scares included ) ... and the horrible feeling of maybe never being able to buy a in-expensive Hi-Cap again...certainly not at the cheap prices you let slip through your fingers.

All the comments on cheap ammo and mags should be heeded.... as well as inexpensive AR parts ( bolts, barrels..etc )

There could come a time when those purchases will seem like the best investment ever.... and do believe it will get worse in the coming months. Depending on OBummer and or the next likely President.

Remember, at the very least your "on sale" purchases will hold their value and certainly be a valuable investment in your shooting hobby and shooting future..... not to mention double or triple in value in the event of another "scare".

In a very overly simplistic viewpoint..... your inexpensive ammo purchases today... could be as valuable as gold tomorrow.

I have heard of a local, ol'timer that bought a metric sh_t ton of the various Commie surplus when it first came to this country, so much so that his wife about left him....well he finally sold all, for considerably more then he paid for it... and paid off his mortgage. All that Chinese $99 / 1200 rd 7.62x39 ammo sold for a premium during a panic.

I also would like to point out the comparisons between this thread and the various fables.... The Ant and The Grasshopper, comes to mind first..... and I see that parable relived every gunscare.

BTW, NT is the Northwest Territories.....so yes, an attempt at "Internet" privacy.

And I did buy more mags. ... as good as money in the bank. ( Frankly, probably a better investment. )

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A Clinton Presidency in 2016 would create a panic like we have never seen; the rest of 2015 should be spent on purchasing magazines, ammo, and any gun you want/need.
View Quote

+1

Every time I get more ammo I think of HRC...and abut getting more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sorry, my comment was in context to the various attempts at  gun regulation... mag bans, AWB.. etc ( scares included ) ... and the horrible feeling of maybe never being able to buy a in-expensive Hi-Cap again...certainly not at the cheap prices you let slip through your fingers.

All the comments on cheap ammo and mags should be heeded.... as well as inexpensive AR parts ( bolts, barrels..etc )

There could come a time when those purchases will seem like the best investment ever.... and do believe it will get worse in the coming months. Depending on OBummer and or the next likely President.

Remember, at the very least your "on sale" purchases will hold their value and certainly be a valuable investment in your shooting hobby and shooting future..... not to mention double or triple in value in the event of another "scare".

In a very overly simplistic viewpoint..... your inexpensive ammo purchases today... could be as valuable as gold tomorrow.

I have heard of a local, ol'timer that bought a metric sh_t ton of the various Commie surplus when it first came to this country, so much so that his wife about left him....well he finally sold all, for considerably more then he paid for it... and paid off his mortgage. All that Chinese $99 / 1200 rd 7.62x39 ammo sold for a premium during a panic.

I also would like to point out the comparisons between this thread and the various fables.... The Ant and The Grasshopper, comes to mind first..... and I see that parable relived every gunscare.

BTW, NT is the Northwest Territories.....so yes, an attempt at "Internet" privacy.

And I did buy more mags. ... as good as money in the bank. ( Frankly, probably a better investment. )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted Again and again.....I also remember the DISMAL feeling of realizing you can never buy a High Capacity mag again.....

I do not disagree with your thoughts on this.
Although the trick is to be willing to sell part of the stash during the next panic, and then doing it.

What prompted my question was your statement about purchasing more 20 rnd mags.
When I think "high" capacity magazines, I think 30, not 20 (although I realize that both fit the FED definition).
My initial thought was that perhaps you live in a state that limits you to 20rnds.

I thought NT might be Northwest Territories (Canada) or Northern Territory (Australia), but coupled with USA and your Obama comment, I decided no.

So I thought you might mean the fictional state the Simpsons live in,
or perhaps a reference to the northwest U.S. before they became states, so your OPSEC works in my case.
I am now choosing the latter.  

Perhaps I will move to Somalia like TRG, but I digress.

As to the OP's question,
The correct answer is different for everyone.

I used to be one of the people that believed there is never enough, but
I have reached a point in my life where I realize I cannot shoot all the ammunition I have stashed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Although the trick is to be willing to sell part of the stash during the next panic, and then doing it.

LOol... point taken..

I wasn't clear enough.. I meant 20ea, 30 rders

When I think "high" capacity magazines, I think 30, not 20 (although I realize that both fit the FED definition).
My initial thought was that perhaps you live in a state that limits you to 20rnds.

I thought NT might be Northwest Territories (Canada) or Northern Territory (Australia), but coupled with USA and your Obama comment, I decided no.

or perhaps a reference to the northwest U.S. before they became states, so your OPSEC works in my case.

As to the OP's question,

I have reached a point in my life where I realize I cannot shoot all the ammunition I have stashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOol... point taken..

I wasn't clear enough.. I meant 20ea, 30 rders

As to the OP's question,

Time to buy more barrels.... lol

And it sounds like you have plenty of bargaining ammo !
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Being fairly content at this point with my firearm selection (although I am going to buy a few more lowers, at $30-$35 per stripper lower, how could I not?), I'm now turning to stocking up on supplies. Ammo, mags, and reloading supplies. Prices are starting to come back in to 'great deal' territory on a more consistent basis (with the exception of .22LR), so there's no reason not to have AT LEAST a 1-2K round emergency stash in your go-to calibers. And by that I mean, that's ammo that is always set aside for incidentals, and isn't touched under normal circumstance.

I just picked up a good amount of M2 PMAGs at $9.15 each shipped to my door, and I plan on picking up some more to keep tucked away for the next couple of years. Picking up a 100 rounds of ammo every other week in my go-to calibers is something I can do without straining my budget at current prices. I've also started the habit of setting aside money on my 'off weeks' to fund bulk orders.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<snip>
And it sounds like you have plenty of bargaining ammo !
View Quote

and that is another point. I learned my lesson in 1994.
Have never really been affected by anything since that time,
but I have also been unwilling to sell or trade any of my stuff (ammo, mags, spare parts) during any of the shortages since.

CAVEAT: The Hostess thing caught me off-guard, I have a taste for raspberry zingers, not very often, but when I want one, I want one.
This is AMERICA, Damnit!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Enough?? No Such Thing! LOL
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top