Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2015 12:48:30 PM EDT
I never shoot steel case ammo in my ARs, but I wanted to run some steel case ammo through my recently-built AR pistol to see if it would help smooth out some minor machine marks in the chamber, so I ran about 80 rounds of Colt-branded 62gr 223 Silver Bear (Barnaul manufacture) that I had kicking around this past weekend.  The Silver Bear shot surprisingly well, but the stink of the burnt powder was unbelievable.  I've heard people say that some of the steel-case imports stink like cat piss before, but MAN - I was shooting outside, and it was during a snow storm, and yet was still almost overwhelmed by the stench.  What the hell IS that??  (don't put your lips on it)  Can't possibly be good for you.

I ran 20 rounds of Tula through the pistol afterwards, just to see if it stank as bad - and it did have a similar unpleasant odor, but only like 1/10th as strong as the other stuff.  I have a case of 62gr Wolf MC (also Barnaul manufacture) on order just to have some steel case 223 on hand, but now I'm wondering if I even want to shoot the stinky stuff...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  cat Piss.    You already answered your own question.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The smell is pretty common with Russian powder.  You'll get the same smell with 7.62x39 stuff made in Russia.  Nothing wrong with the powder, it's just stinky.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the smell of Communism.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first started shooting it was pretty noticeable. But I've become used to it and actually enjoy it now (because it means I'm at the range) I've never shot black powder, but I've heard that's pretty rough stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#5]
there's american primer Jesus  BBQ camping scent and Debil Foozball Commie cat piss powder....both developed by the OSS  to out Reds.  You SIr,  are America.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I see what you did there!

Flash
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
That smell must be a commie thing - I remember the fumes from Norinco 223 (way back in the early 1990's it was $3 per box of 20!)
also smelled a bit sharp - somewhere between ammonia and cat piss.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Like I said, it's common with Russian powder.  I got some Russian .22LR once, and it smelled pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the smell of Communism.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll im you my address for proper disposal of said stinky ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The smell is pretty common with Russian powder.  You'll get the same smell with 7.62x39 stuff made in Russia.  Nothing wrong with the powder, it's just stinky.
View Quote

Yep, likely just high in ammonia
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Smells like oppression at the range.

But liberation to my wallet.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top