Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 11:56:37 AM EDT
Hi everyone,

I need help understanding the use cases for frangible 556 ammo. Are there people that regularly need the stuff? I understand the idea behind sintered copper bullets, reduced penetration, lead free, etc. Not sure if it's something the average joe would have a use for?

Basically I have a pile of it and I am trying to figure out whether to keep it. (In the spirit of the forum, please keep responses technical in nature.)

Thanks!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I had a bunch of frangible projectiles so I could load some to shoot my steel at close range.  They always seem expensive when I find them so I never buy them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
indoor range I guess
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I had a bunch of frangible projectiles so I could load some to shoot my steel at close range.  They always seem expensive when I find them so I never buy them.
View Quote

RMR has em, in stock.  Just the projo..

I have used a bunch in 9 and 45, banging steel at 10' at night is fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooting steel targets at close range is all I have ever seen it used for. It's very expensive and hard on the rifle.  It can often break apart when chambering leaving small chunks getting stuck in the trigger housing locking it up.   I have also observed in many occasions the projectile break or crack when loading into the chamber leaving the barrel in two or more pieces.( the bullet) This of course led to major problems while using a suppressor.   I would stay away from it unless your shooting steel at close range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on base location, the USAF uses it for indoor ranges during qualification.

Its good for close in steel shooting as some folks already mentioned. If you can get it cheap I'd say go for it! I've never heard of it being hard on rifles, I shoot about 270-300 rounds of it every 6 months both in semi/burst mode.... Never had it break inside the gun (or seen it happen to a coworker) but that doesn't mean its impossible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It has been quite the problem for us.  We use the federal 55 grain and 42 grain.   Most of the problems occur with the 42.  The bullet itself appears longer and thinner. This seems to be the one that breaks while feeding the most.  What type are you using Security Forces?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have some houses about 500-1000yds behind my property. They aren't directly behind my shooting "range", but due to ricochet concerns I only shoot pistol calibers and 22lr. But with frangible ammo I feel safe shooting 556 occasionally, because it should not ricochet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Are we talking about the white tip Mk255 Mod 0?

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/kim.pdf
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
"need?"

"have a use for?"

Has to be illegal.

Since the bullet "vanishes" on impact, how will the ATF ever get "ballistics" of it?

BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"need?"

"have a use for?"

Has to be illegal.

Since the bullet "vanishes" on impact, how will the ATF ever get "ballistics" of it?

BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!... BAN IT!!!
View Quote

Hmmm, that's a great point!

-Stooxie

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top