Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:48:51 PM EDT
Link for phones

.223 Rem Double Tap 77 gr Nosler HPBT fired from 11.5" and 16" barrel AR pattern rifles into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 588.4 fps, 3.7"

11.5" barrel results:

Impact velocity: 2,559 fps
Penetration: 13.8"
Retained weight: 22.7 gr
Max expansion: 0.453"
Min expansion: 0.286"
Neck: 1.8"
TSC: 2.75" x 6.5"

16" barrel results:

Impact velocity: 2,754 fps
Penetration: 12.7"
Retained weight: 41.7 gr
Max expansion: 0.721"
Min expansion: 0.317"
Neck: 0.9"
TSC: 2.5" x 7.5"

The jacket on the first shot stopped in the middle of the block but on the second shot it stayed with the bulk of the projectile all the way. Oddly, the jacket seemed to be "backwards". If you look closely, you can see where the base of the bullet would have been. It seems that it may have somehow separated from the core and then got mashed back against it. This underscores the reason that a statistically valid sample size is important in professional testing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
As always... Thank You for taking the time and effort for our benefit.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the encouragement.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
wow that's some very interesting stuff, thanks for posting, just out of curiosity what kind of camera set up do you have mounted on you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll post in this thread too - this is an EXCELLENT substitute for the 5.56 75gr TAP round, which is difficult to get.  Previous BT Ammo labs plus gary Robert's testing indicated that the 77gr nosler round was at least equal to the TAP round and likely slightly better when driven to 5.56 level velocities.  While a .223 round, this is at 5.56 level velocities and similar to the 75gr 5.56 TAP round.

The one advantage is that this is easily obtainable and generally cheaper than the TAP round when it is available.  I was surprised it did this well and think it is a perfectly valid alternative.

DT also makes an 80 gr 223 round that will fit into AR mags…tempted to get this as well, but I don't think the 3 grs would make a significant difference.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As always... Thank You for taking the time and effort for our benefit.

Keep up the good work.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
someone help me out here with bullet results.....i am not doubting, just a confused layman.

with the lower velocity i can understand more penetration but the lower velocity also had a lower recovered weight?  therefore more fragmentation?

is that just inconsistency in this bullet wight and OTM projo's?  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wow that's some very interesting stuff, thanks for posting, just out of curiosity what kind of camera set up do you have mounted on you?
View Quote

It's a cheap, Chinese one my wife bought me for Christmas.

Amazon link
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
someone help me out here with bullet results.....i am not doubting, just a confused layman.

with the lower velocity i can understand more penetration but the lower velocity also had a lower recovered weight?  therefore more fragmentation?

is that just inconsistency in this bullet wight and OTM projo's?  

View Quote

It's just an anomaly. In the higher velocity shot, the jacket came off and got left behind about half way in but in the short barrel shot, the jacket came off the bullet, turned around and got stuck back on it. The increased mass led to deeper penetration, of course. Odd behavior but weird things happen with bullets some times. You can see how the jacket was actually inside out in this pic of the recovered projectile from the 16" shot:

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top