Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:36:52 AM EDT
Hey guys.

I bought this surplus .308 ammo that came in a crate.  It was sold as Sellier & Bellot, but I see no markings on the outside.  I thought it was going to arrive in cardboard boxes and I was planning to move them into GI ammo cans.  

Is this crate sealed from moisture?  I didn't want to break the metal bands unnecessarily to find out the case is sealed from the elements like Yugo M67.  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Korrosiv?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Just open it.  What are you afraid of?  Ruining the patina?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of the S&B ".308 Winchester" is corrosive.  It's good shooting ammo, its corrosive.  You've got to clean everything, very well, after you shoot it  Miss a spot or two and you'll be growing rust in those spots if there's any moisture in the air.

I went through a thousand rounds of it a few years ago and have one case left I should be shooting up and saving my non-corrosive stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC that will have a thin tin layer inside the wood.  It's pretty flimsy, so there's a decent chance it isn't holding air anymore anyway.  I'd open it up and put it in ammo cans with desiccant, it'll be safer that way.  

You should be able to cut the band and open the wood lid without damaging the interior lining.  Or it might just be cardboard boxes in there.  I had a couple of cases of that stuff, but it's been a LONG time...

BTW, it IS corrosive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't quite tell... does that have a date of 1/78 on it ?

Ultimately, I would strongly suggest you open it and, as you planned, repackage into 50 cal cans with desiccants....

No offense intended at all....but...

It is not that valuable of .308 ammo anyway, ( probably corrosive ) and the boxes might be ruining the brass.

Who knows what kind of storage conditions it has been in over the last 35 years....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Been away to visit family...

LOL No offense taken.  I knew it is corrosive, the seller disclosed it.  But I'm used to shooting Yugo M67 and Russian 7n6 ammo, so the idea of corrosive primers is OK with me.  

Yes, it does state 1/78 on it, so I figure that is the date of manufacture.  The 7n6 5.45 ammo I am shooting is from the late 80's also and they have been very reliable in my AKs.   This .308 was a good deal in my book, about 49¢ per round shipped.  I've never seen .308 brass ammo this cheap since, what, 2006?

The reason I am hesitant to open it up is that if there is a tin protective layer inside, it may provide a better seal than what my USGI cans can provide.  If the tin inside is anywhere as good as the tin inside Yugo M67 crates, I might leave this ammo alone until I decide to shoot it.  But if I see corrosion, gashes etc. I'll move them into USGI cans.

Thanks for all the replies.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been away to visit family...

LOL No offense taken.  I knew it is corrosive, the seller disclosed it.  But I'm used to shooting Yugo M67 and Russian 7n6 ammo, so the idea of corrosive primers is OK with me.  

Yes, it does state 1/78 on it, so I figure that is the date of manufacture.  The 7n6 5.45 ammo I am shooting is from the late 80's also and they have been very reliable in my AKs.   This .308 was a good deal in my book, about 49¢ per round shipped.  I've never seen .308 brass ammo this cheap since, what, 2006?

The reason I am hesitant to open it up is that if there is a tin protective layer inside, it may provide a better seal than what my USGI cans can provide.  If the tin inside is anywhere as good as the tin inside Yugo M67 crates, I might leave this ammo alone until I decide to shoot it.  But if I see corrosion, gashes etc. I'll move them into USGI cans.

Thanks for all the replies.

View Quote

i wouldnt exactly call that a good deal, walmart here sells mke 308 for 9.97/20 around here and it is brand new brass cased non corrosive ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top