Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 1:37:38 PM EDT
I've been buying some ZQI ammo at walmart due to the cost. But I have a question: I am used to "green tips" at 62gr, but are ZQI's 62gr considered armor piercing?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Thanks for the answer.

Follow-up question: What would be the more effective round between the 55gr FMJ and ZQI's 62 gr FMJ? Effectiveness in terms of stopping power, not barrier penetration.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've been buying some ZQI ammo at walmart due to the cost. But I have a question: I am used to "green tips" at 62gr, but are ZQI's 62gr considered armor piercing?
View Quote
ZQI 62gr is steel core, but I wouldn't call any SS109 ammunition armor piercing whether it has the green tip or not.  M995 is AP.
Typically M193 loads are more likely to fragment, and as such would be a better round for self defense.

I would recommend MK318, MK262 or 75gr TAP for self defense loads, I would stay away from standard ball.  We have many better options available and I would use something better than M193 or M855 (SS109).  I personally use 75gr TAP.

ETA: M193 is 55gr mil spec ammunition.  Many other 55gr loads use different bullets and are less likely to fragment.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's NATO SS109, basically the same as U.S. M855
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They are LAP projectile. Light armor penetrating. I have shot them out of a M4 at 100m and they have penetrated steel when a 175gn SMK would only crater the streel. Penetrating body armor I'm not sure about. Depending on the quality I guess.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ZQI 62gr is steel core, but I wouldn't call any SS109 ammunition armor piercing whether it has the green tip or not.  M995 is AP.

Typically M193 loads are more likely to fragment, and as such would be a better round for self defense.

I would recommend MK318, MK262 or 75gr TAP for self defense loads, I would stay away from standard ball.  We have many better options available and I would use something better than M193 or M855 (SS109).  I personally use 75gr TAP.

ETA: M193 is 55gr mil spec ammunition.  Many other 55gr loads use different bullets and are less likely to fragment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 62 gr. Green tip are not steel core. They are only steel tip. Really small about 1/8" to 3/16" high steel cone
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought some of this in the last few weeks, have not shot any yet. Is it worth the .36 cents cost

Is there a cheaper, better, deal, (no tula)
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought all i could get my hands on when it was 9.99 for 30rds, now it's 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from Walmart, bought 10 boxes @9.97, they had about 15 left. It is bright and shiny
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought some of this in the last few weeks, have not shot any yet. Is it worth the .36 cents cost  

Is there a cheaper, better, deal, (no tula)
View Quote

Yes there are better "deals".

After reading numerous threads about ZQI, I consider it "blasting" ammo.

I rate its actual "value" by accuracy also, not just by price.... and from what I have read it is generally milspec accurate. My range trips have shown this to be true in my rifles.

There are more accurate , cheaper "blasting" rounds available online.

BUT, those rounds are not typically available at your local Walmart....

The 55gr IMI at Wideners is, IMHO, a fantastic value... inexpensive, known high quality true M193, and accurate. With the IMI you truly get "value".

I would rather spend 33.3 cents per round ( after shipping cost added ) for the IMI and get much better accuracy. In my 5 rifles the IMI v. ZQI .... the IMI is about 1 MOA better. That is a lot.... and cheaper.

With more accurate ammo, you get better training time at the range, less time wasted on inaccurate ammo... more time focused on trigger and stance etc. More value added. Another point about better accuracy is this.... try running for 2 minutes as fast as you can.... then shoot your rifle, you will certainly appreciate the added accuracy.

I would be happier in the long run with the IMI.

My comments are not meant to derail this thread in anyway..... just to point out the "value" aspect of any ammo.

Don't just base your choice on price. Try some for function and accuracy.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Informative post, Thank you for that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
My local walmart has some. I bought both white box, 55gr and green box. The white box actually shot pretty good out of my rifle, 1" -1 1/2.  The green box 62s were 2-3 inch groups. I'll buy some more white box when I see it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
bought 4 boxes but im waiting for my new bcm upper to arrive before i shoot any of it
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My local walmart has some. I bought both white box, 55gr and green box. The white box actually shot pretty good out of my rifle, 1" -1 1/2.  The green box 62s were 2-3 inch groups. I'll buy some more white box when I see it.
View Quote

The ZQ1 white box I have is also 62 grain. The green is supposed to be just a change in packaging
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The ZQ1 white box I have is also 62 grain. The green is supposed to be just a change in packaging
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct

MKE (Turkish National Arsenal) doesn't produce M193 (55 grain).

All they did was change the packaging.

MKE
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are LAP projectile. Light armor penetrating. I have shot them out of a M4 at 100m and they have penetrated steel when a 175gn SMK would only crater the streel. Penetrating body armor I'm not sure about. Depending on the quality I guess.
View Quote

The term "light armor piercing" or "penetrating" is not well defined, and has nothing to do with the legal definition.

The whole point of the SS109 bullet was to more reliably penetrate a steel helmet at over 600m.  The M193 bullet will do it sometimes, but not always because the bullet yaws too much at that range.  By moving the center of mass of the SS109 bullet backward, they got the bullet to fly point-first farther, allowing it to penetrate 3mm of basically mild steel plat at some specific distance over 600m.  The way they did this was by inserting a chunk of steel in the nose of the bullet.  The steel keeps the jacket from collapsing, but it's light enough compared to the rest of the lead core to move the CM back enough for the purpose of longer point-first flight.  It is legally defined as NOT armor piercing in the US.  Recently, many manufacturers have been using hardened inserts, but from the original design goal, that's not needed.  And I don't think  a hardened insert will help in penetrating 3mm of mild steel plate, when the SS109 bullet already does that...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top