Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:08:22 PM EDT
I bought 100 rounds of 150gr. .300BLK from Freedom Munitions and wanted to share my findings. I tried to load this ammo in a Ruger American Ranch and the bolt wouldn't close on seven of the first ten rounds I tried. I emptied the ammo from the first box and visually I could tell QC was non-existent. Upon measuring, the OAL varied by .006 just in the first twenty rounds I gauged, and the worst part is the brass... the case lengths are ridiculously varied, shoulders don't look right and are different from cartridge to cartridge in some cases, the case necks and crimps are horribly inconsistent, every single round has gunpowder and/or tumbling media stuck in the case mouth and bullet cannelure, and I could go on. It also seems like there's 3-5 different kinds of primers being used in a single lot... there's no way this ammo could shoot consistently, ignoring the fact it doesn't chamber. I haven't pulled any bullets to gauge the brass and I'm not going to, this stuff is going back.

The shipping was fast and the price was very good with their free shipping deal for first time customers, however... The only thing that is consistent about this ammunition is the weight, which must be how they measure "quality control". The company overall appears to have a good reputation and I have no experience with their product in other calibers. I try to refrain from crapping on a company online before I've contacted someone about the problem but then I found this (Link) and realized that this is far from an isolated "bad lot" and they have known about the problem with their .300 Blackout for months and continue to sell defective ammunition. Again, I am certain I will receive a timely refund but this is a heads up to purchase this ammunition at your own discretion.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy from Ozark Ordnance if you want good 300blk reloads.  They use IMR 4227 and it runs great...

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy from Ozark Ordnance if you want good 300blk reloads.  They use IMR 4227 and it runs great...  
View Quote

Thank you for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Try FTW ammo too
http://ftwammo.com

PS - I buy a lot of 9mm ammo from Freedom and it's alll GTG.  Both New and remanned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try FTW ammo too
http://ftwammo.com

PS - I buy a lot of 9mm ammo from Freedom and it's alll GTG.  Both New and remanned.
View Quote

Very first squib load I have ever seen as in a buddy's fns9 was with freedom 115gr reman. Had to push the round out with a rod. Freedom didn't want them back or the lot number,  offered to replace the bad round. I have 500 rounds of the new 115 and 500 new 223. Its all been relegated emergency use.
Enough anecdotal events that is not worth me worrying about it,  so no more. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
PNW makes nice 300BLK ammo,
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Have any of you tried the BVAC ammo that Lucky Gunner sells?  I was thinking about getting some for hunting.  It uses the the Federal Fusion bullet, and the price is really nice.  Haven't found much about it on the web.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the third or fourth FM related thread I've seen lately, all with a common theme- Bad QC

FM's off of my "to buy from" list.

As an aside- I recently bought some factory new PPU "M855" from them, in three separate AR's it consistently failed to extract every 3-6 rounds. While looking for anyone with similar problems, I came across several references that referenced PPU brass having an extremely thin web, and several more comments that it should not be reloaded.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, shot about 80-100rnds of their 55g FMJ that they had on sale in early november without a hitch.
I didn't know they had a spotty reputation when I purchased.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top