Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2014 5:49:18 PM EDT
Hi All,

I have access to a lot of free steel-cased wolf ammo.  Would be putting it through my range AR, a S&W M&P 15 Sporter.  Any special tips about using it, stay away from it, or use it as normal brass?  I've tried to read different reviews but haven't found anything other than, "It's great" or "Stay away" without any reasons given. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd shoot the hell out of it unless I had some specialty rifle. If it wears out my extractor, who cares, I'll replace it, same goes for the barrel. The money you would save in ammo would buy a whole new rifle by the time you wore out a barrel. Shoot it up, have fun. I just put a 500 round spam can of Tula through my ar pistol, no issues at all, it was accurate and I had a blast doing it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't beat free.

Shoot it and have a ball.

Make sure you clean your chamber. When the gun heats up and the lacquer starts to accumulate, it will glue your bolt closed when the gun cools.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't run it through expensive builds or any rifles you care about. Also, if you like your weapons clean, be prepared for half a day at the range and half a day cleaning lacquer and carbon gunk, some of which is nearly impossible to get off.

I have some for my AK, but I don't even run it through that - just keep it for SHTF.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys!  Looks like I'll be putting some through it this weekend
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't run it through expensive builds or any rifles you care about. Also, if you like your weapons clean, be prepared for half a day at the range and half a day cleaning lacquer and carbon gunk, some of which is nearly impossible to get off.

I have some for my AK, but I don't even run it through that - just keep it for SHTF.

View Quote
I'm no expert on Wolf but I don't believe it is all lacquer coated. The lacquer will cause the issues with cleaning. The Tula I fired is polymer coated and clean up was quite easy, I was actually expecting my AR to be dirtier than it was. Here is a good article on it.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Free is free.  As other have said, unless you have something really nice, shoot, clean, and enjoy.  I don't buy or shoot steel case but if you gave it to me for free i sure would.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
please see the FAQs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top