Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:47:57 AM EDT
A friend of mine called me the other day and said that his S&W M&P 15 Sport had a failure to fire and failure to extract and the case was still stuck in the chamber.  He said that the primer fell out when he tried to extract the case, but he couldn't get the case out.  He brought me his upper and when I looked at the case when it was still in the chamber, it looked strange, so I took a wooden dowel rod and gently tapped the case out (it was pretty stuck).  My suspicions were confirmed when I examined it closer.  Here is a look for yourself.  By the way, it might be hard to tell from the quality of the pictures, but it is a brass case.

Here is a picture of the full case.

and here is a picture of the case head and primer pocket.

He is going to be contacting WalMart (where he purchased the ammunition) and the manufacturer today.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Hm... I think that brand it made in Italy by Fiocchi.  I have a couple boxes of it, switched to ZQi since they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm. Odd. I'll keep an eye on mine. I just bought 5 boxes at the local wallhell on Friday. Before that, only shot 50 rounds of the stuff, but had no problems in my RRA predator or MI Pistol. I hope I don't run into any problems with it. 18$ for 50 rds brass, I couldn't pass it up. I can say thier 9mm is good to go.

(First post on here, but lurked for a long time.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to ar15.com and thanks for joining and posting!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
So the flash hole was not formed in the case...   Perfect A.

Sounds like he is very lucky the primer did not go off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow I didnt catch that! Damn cell phone screen is too small. Educate me on what would've happened had the primer ignited.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Jet of gas with nowhere to go....

May have burned though the brass where the flash hole should have been.  Resulting in a weak ingition of the powder...

May have blown around the primer, and back toward the bolt face.  Scorch the bolt face, but probably not enough to act like a full poped primer.

Not thinks that would destroy the gun (more than likely), but would sure get your attention, and make you wonder what hte hell just happened.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder what the odds of a bad primer and a case with no flash hole are. Interesting
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think VERY VERY low....

Unless the primer pocket was not formed to its full depth, and the primer was either damaged or set off when it was seated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like he is very lucky the primer did not go off.
View Quote
it looks like it did, hence why the primer fell out

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Primer did go off.  Nowhere for the pressure to go since the bolt was still locked, so it just shoved the case up into the chamber a wee bit.

Primer has a lot of force, but nothing that a properly built AR cannot shrug off.  No damage was observed.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top