Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf gold 75 gr bt hp
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep 64gr. Winchester Power Points in the AR, and 180gr. Winchester bonded JHPs in the Glock 23.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
110 gr vmax
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wolf gold 75 gr bt hp
View Quote

Have you chrono'd it?

Any expansion tests; gel, wager jugs?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Federal GMM 69gr. SMK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Also an XM193'er.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How about if the prey is two legged?  I purchased some for HD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good price for a good hunting round!

How about if the prey is two legged?  I purchased some for HD.

This is it for me as well. Performance out to just shy of 300 yards out of a 16in barrel. Should that need arise
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Federal Tactical 62 Gn JSP (LE223T3) in the rifle and a stack of mags loaded with Black Hills 5.56mm pressure 77Gn Nosler OTM in reserve.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you chrono'd it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wolf gold 75 gr bt hp

Have you chrono'd it?

Nope
Just got them in
And haven't had a chance to do much with them
Ordered them off the word of a friend

But I do plan on testing them some
Probably no chrono though
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Have two 'HD Ready' carbines and one stashed pistol.  I'll stick to the carbines.  Each has a sling with two loaded mags and four stripper clips hanging from it.

1)  16" 300AAC 'Blackout'
First Mag - Barnes 110gr VOR-TX TAC-TX (the 'black tip), 20 rounds
Second Mag - 220gr Subsonic Sierra OTM BT custom loads, 20 rounds
pouch 3 has two strippers of Barnes
pouch 4 has two strippers of the Subsonics

2)  16" 5.56x45
First Mag - Federal/Lake City XM193, 20 rounds
Second Mag - Federal/Lake City M855, 20 rounds
pouch 3 has two strippers of XM193
pouch 4 has two strippers of M855

They're hung in a way that the first thing you grab is the rifle and pouch #1, the first mag, falls to your hand nicely.  Not 'the answer', but it's as close as I could get.

-Aaron
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Federal LE double odd buck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have two 'HD Ready' carbines and one stashed pistol.  I'll stick to the carbines.  Each has a sling with two loaded mags and four stripper clips hanging from it.

2)  16" 5.56x45

They're hung in a way that the first thing you grab is the rifle and pouch #1, the first mag, falls to your hand nicely.  Not 'the answer', but it's as close as I could get.

-Aaron
View Quote

Wait, so there's no ammunition in the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
75gr TAP.  I would prefer 5.56 TAP, but currently only have .223 TAP.          
View Quote

75gr TAP (5.56) in mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
147 grain Lake City NATO ball rounds, 7.62x51,  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Federal LE double odd buck.
View Quote

Right aside from my HD AR with mags loaded up with Hornady 75gr.TAP T2, IMI Razorcore 77gr, OTM, Winchester 64gr. bonded JSP and IMI M193, I also have my 870 loaded with both Winchester PDX1 1/2 oz 00 Buckshot over 1 oz Slug Bonded and Remington 8 pellet 000 buck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

75gr TAP (5.56) in mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
75gr TAP.  I would prefer 5.56 TAP, but currently only have .223 TAP.          

75gr TAP (5.56) in mine.

Yup...go 5.56 75gr.TAP T2 or don't TAP at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
To all of you who have multiple loads in the magazine or multiple loads with the rifle. Do you know the difference in poa/poi, and can you remeber exactly what the difference is under stress? I want the same type of ammo and know exactly where there going.

I live in ca so the carbine is not the go to, and I have multiple types of defense ammo. When I change the load I re zero the weapon, and I check poa/poi from 10 feet to 25 yards. Which is the longest shot possible in my house.

My ammo of choice is hand loaded 62 trophy bonded bear claw, or 64 nosler bonded solid bas also hand loaded. Theyuse the same load, and perform identically to 50 yards.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
MK318
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To all of you who have multiple loads in the magazine or multiple loads with the rifle. Do you know the difference in poa/poi, and can you remeber exactly what the difference is under stress? I want the same type of ammo and know exactly where there going.

I live in ca so the carbine is not the go to, and I have multiple types of defense ammo. When I change the load I re zero the weapon, and I check poa/poi from 10 feet to 25 yards. Which is the longest shot possible in my house.

My ammo of choice is hand loaded 62 trophy bonded bear claw, or 64 nosler bonded solid bas also hand loaded. Theyuse the same load, and perform identically to 50 yards.  
View Quote

Within 25 yards the difference will be so negligible it's not worth worrying about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Within 25 yards the difference will be so negligible it's not worth worrying about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  The biggest thing you will have to worry about at close range is the offset from your sight / scope and your bore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
In magazines?  That would be IMI Razorcore 77 gr. OTM and Lake City M855.  In the ammo cans --  that would be a whole different story...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

For HD  in and around the house I see absolutely no point.

If I lived on a lot of land and wanted to stop people/vehicles at the edge of my property then I would reach for one of my mags with 75gr.Tap T2 or IMI 77gr. MK262.  For a more personal touch I reach for the Winchester or Nosler 64gr. bonded SP.  

My rifle is sighted for the 75 and 77 grain stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
20 Rounds Winchester PDX1 60 grain Defender -30 Rounds 75 grain OTM Black Hills Match Blue Box.

18 Rounds Federal HST 9mm 147 grain HP
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Old school XM193.  I bought cheap and stacked deep years ago.  Many many cases.  
For the space I have to defend, XM193 is perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of you that use an AR for home defense.

What ammo do you have loaded in that magazine marked for home defense?

Old school XM193.  I bought cheap and stacked deep years ago.  Many many cases.  
For the space I have to defend, XM193 is perfect.

Yup.  55 grain FMJ in PMags.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2)  16" 5.56x45

-Aaron

Rifles not loaded - less than ideal.  They are also in a safe which isn't in the most convenient place to access, I have two kids and need to be responsible.  Now in response to the next query (as in, what good would they do if they aren't accessible?), I do have a couple quick access safes with .40S&W's stashed that ARE loaded.  Federal HST in those.  But since this is ar15.com - I'd focus on the long guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rifles not loaded - less than ideal.  They are also in a safe which isn't in the most convenient place to access, I have two kids and need to be responsible.  Now in response to the next query (as in, what good would they do if they aren't accessible?), I do have a couple quick access safes with .40S&W's stashed that ARE loaded.  Federal HST in those.  But since this is ar15.com - I'd focus on the long guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2)  16" 5.56x45

-Aaron

Then you don't have a home defense rifle, which was the focus of the original question. You might have a SHTF rifle but you don't have a home defense rifle. Either a rifle or a shotgun will make a far better home defense gun than a handgun. The ONLY thing a handgun is good for is being small enough to have on your person. I have two kids and I keep my rifle hanging from a nail on the wall in our master bedroom, out of their reach. They are also not allowed in the master bedroom. Another option is to get a separate locker for your home defense gun. There are several options depending on how much you intend to spend. If you don't want to get one of the nice, expensive ones that fit in the wall, you can just get a cheap Stackon locker. That will keep the kids safe and allow you access to a far more effective tool. When you are away, you should move the rifles and/or shotguns to the safe.

Sorry for the derail.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then you don't have a home defense rifle, which was the focus of the original question. You might have a SHTF rifle but you don't have a home defense rifle. Either a rifle or a shotgun will make a far better home defense gun than a handgun. The ONLY thing a handgun is good for is being small enough to have on your person. I have two kids and I keep my rifle hanging from a nail on the wall in our master bedroom, out of their reach. They are also not allowed in the master bedroom. Another option is to get a separate locker for your home defense gun. There are several options depending on how much you intend to spend. If you don't want to get one of the nice, expensive ones that fit in the wall, you can just get a cheap Stackon locker. That will keep the kids safe and allow you access to a far more effective tool. When you are away, you should move the rifles and/or shotguns to the safe.

Sorry for the derail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2)  16" 5.56x45

-Aaron

Sorry for the derail.

That's not true.  While I agree with the shotgun I don't agree with the rifle.

Inside my home, in the middle of the night, my .45 5" Kimber Warrior is right next to my bed on a nightstand with a Beamshot green laser/light combo mounted on it.  

For the middle of the night, from a dead sleep that's my go to weapon.  I have a 870 5 feet from that if needed that just needs a pump.

If the neighborhood is under siege than the AR makes an appearance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Federal XM223SP1 ETSP 62g bonded (basically same thing as the Federal Fusion 62g bonded).  Bought it from Palmetto a while back just for HD use.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Presently 55 grain 5.56 Gold Dot. I picked up some Nosler Defense 64 Bonded Solid Base that I'll probably switch to once I make sure it's GTG in my carbine.

I am frequently loading and unloading my rifle for various reasons (going to range, some storage conditions, dry fire). Since I don't rechamber SD ammo and prefer not to go through my small defense ammo stockpile more quickly than necessary, I keep the chamber loaded with XM193 that I just toss back into my can of range ammo when I've ejected it from the AR.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#31]
For my go to rifle I have 62 gr Federal Fusion MSR in a 30 rd PMAG along with two additional 30 rd reloads if necessary.  I've also got a Glock 19 with 18 rds of 124 gr +p Gold Dots if I need to grab a handgun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Currently Federal Fusion 62 grain stuff. But I am more than a little curious about the new Black Hills 5.56mm TMK ammo. If it consistently performs like it did in a photo of a gel block posted here a while back, it just might be the most devastating 5.56mm load to date. The temporary cavity that thing makes is simply NASTY. It penetrates about 12.5" in gel and the TC looks to be in the 6" diameter range!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Currently Federal Fusion 62 grain stuff. But I am more than a little curious about the new Black Hills 5.56mm TMK ammo. If it consistently performs like it did in a photo of a gel block posted here a while back, it just might be the most devastating 5.56mm load to date. The temporary cavity that thing makes is simply NASTY. It penetrates about 12.5" in gel and the TC looks to be in the 6" diameter range!
View Quote

Yeah my HD mags consist of 5.56 75gr tap alternated with the federal FBIT3 round or the 77gr tmk alternated with the T3. I'm just waiting for some additional gelatin or hunting shots before I make the tmk my go to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#34]
MK318
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe if you were only looking at half the regular SMK gel test.

The neck length looks even shorter than the hornady 75gr!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You know, the tipped Match King gel shot I've seen here looks pretty much exactly like the regular 77gr SMK gel shots I've seen. The main advantage to the tipped version - as far as I can tell - is a much improved BC for long range shooting; completely irrelevant to home defense applications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah my HD mags consist of 5.56 75gr tap alternated with the federal FBIT3 round or the 77gr tmk alternated with the T3. I'm just waiting for some additional gelatin or hunting shots before I make the tmk my go to.

You know, the tipped Match King gel shot I've seen here looks pretty much exactly like the regular 77gr SMK gel shots I've seen. The main advantage to the tipped version - as far as I can tell - is a much improved BC for long range shooting; completely irrelevant to home defense applications.

As the other poster said, the neck length is MUCH shorter, and temporary cavity may be bigger with the TMK.  The SMK round can have a very long neck length that is much longer than either the 77gr nosler or 75gr tap.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#38]
XM193
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Currently, '03 vintage Fed XM193.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Samson (IMI) M193 for now.

Federal fusion got a lot of good reviews in this thread, I might have to try some out
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Federal Fusion MSR at home. Hornady TAP Barrier 62 grain at work, department issued.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Currently 69gr SMK. However, I just ordered up some Nosler Defense 64gr bonded. Ballistic calculator says I will stay above 1600FPS out to 300 yards, which is what Nosler says is required for reliable expansion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, and there are also 77gr SMK tests out there with much shorter necks, like the 75gr Hornady (for instance, the one in the Self Defense Ammo thread here). Point being that one gel shot doesn't prove anything about repeatable performance, so I hate to see folks ready to jump on another bandwagon after seeing one (1) gel shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, and there are also 77gr SMK tests out there with much shorter necks, like the 75gr Hornady (for instance, the one in the Self Defense Ammo thread here). Point being that one gel shot doesn't prove anything about repeatable performance, so I hate to see folks ready to jump on another bandwagon after seeing one (1) gel shot.

Of course one gel shot isn't enough. There are enough to indicate that the tap t2 and nosler OTM offer somewhat better wound ballistics than the smk.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Barnes TSX 55 grain or 62 grain handloads in the AR15 mags, depending on what I have loaded last.  Leaning more toward the 62 grain loads now.   Some mags also have Speer 64 grain Gold Dot soft points.

Federal Premium Flight Control 00B in the 12 gauge tactical shotgun with extended magazine.

I go for the shotgun first inside my home.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Currently 69gr SMK. However, I just ordered up some Nosler Defense 64gr bonded. Ballistic calculator says I will stay above 1600FPS out to 300 yards, which is what Nosler says is required for reliable expansion.
View Quote

Out of a 16in barrel and using the data from the Nosler threads that is about what I was getting as well using the Hornady ballistic calculator. I input the M.V. as 2525 which was a rough mean average from the two guys on here that put up their M.V.'s out of the same barrel length. I'm good with it
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Barnes 62g TSX... I will probably add some 70g TSX also.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#48]
M193
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#49]
M193 coupled to a mag with m855.... If that doesn't handle the situation, it's something I shouldn't  be messing with
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Presently 55 grain 5.56 Gold Dot. I picked up some Nosler Defense 64 Bonded Solid Base that I'll probably switch to once I make sure it's GTG in my carbine.

I am frequently loading and unloading my rifle for various reasons (going to range, some storage conditions, dry fire). Since I don't rechamber SD ammo and prefer not to go through my small defense ammo stockpile more quickly than necessary, I keep the chamber loaded with XM193 that I just toss back into my can of range ammo when I've ejected it from the AR.
View Quote

Not a bad idea. Could easily do the same with a hand load with a good OTM or soft point.

I drop a round into the chamber, ease the bolt forward, and press the forward assist to avoid firing pin dings.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top