Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2014 10:32:23 AM EDT
I was cursing around on sgammo doing a little shopping.
I was wondering if any one here has tried the cheaper .308?
Like the silver bear and WPA..  They also have some colt made in Russia ammo.
I am just glad to see some affordable .308 ammo.
thanks again
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
While not 308, I did buy some Wolf 8 MM Mauser. It was actually PPU ammo boxed in a Wolf box.   I shot 30 rounds last weekend and it was just fine.
It is 196 grain copper soft point, brass cased non-corrosive boxer primed goodness.  Through my 1943 K98k and irons I had, for my old eyes, good results.  In fact come November 1st it will be my ammo of choice for a hog hunt on my friends property.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot some (Wolf, which is PPU and Herters, which is Tula) and it works fine.

But, I have a CETME and it pretty much shoots anything.

However, for the price,
I have been buying up the ZQI 7.62x51 at Walmart since it is essentially the same price for brass cased.
and it does not have a bi-metal bullet.

$9.97/box (20rds) locally.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried Wolf 308, which had brass jacketed bullet. I try to avoid bi-metal in my 308's. It shot fine, no issues. Accuracy was OK, maybe 3MOA in a gun that can give me under 2MOA with better ammo. I'd buy again if the price was right. Great blasting/plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tried Wolf 308, which had brass jacketed bullet. I try to avoid bi-metal in my 308's. It shot fine, no issues. Accuracy was OK, maybe 3MOA in a gun that can give me under 2MOA with better ammo. I'd buy again if the price was right. Great blasting/plinking ammo.
View Quote

Brass jackets?

...op,fwiw I'm pretty sure the colt steel stuff is just silver bear in a more expensive pony laden blue box. Try to find some hornady steel match in .308. Its a little more money than wolf or the others but much higher quality with way better bullets, not sure if it's as available as it once was I haven't looked for any in a long time I've been burning through a pile of Winchester/nosler ballistic tips in 168 grain and loving the accuracy to be had with them. If you haven't tried those and can find them, you might wanna give a box a go and see how your gun likes them, they are a bit spendy though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Want cheap 308-go to WM and get you some ZQI, shoots nice and no steel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^This^^^  It's shooting more accurate than LC out of my 308
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not been impressed with the ZQI.
Has anyone done a comparison of multiple cartridges within the current retail production stock?
I got 12 different kinds of .308/7.62x51 & I want to shoot groups of all of it with one or two other shooters using the same rifle.

ETA: the ZQI 5.56 has performed well, I'm still searching for the holy grail in .308.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm still searching for the holy grail in .308.
View Quote
fed match

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it for blasting ammo and it works great.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot WOLF and TULA out of my SOCOM and it worked fine.  A little dirty, but it was expected when I loaded up.  Mainly used for drills and such so wasn't much concerned with accuracy.  Would buy again...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had good results with the steel-cased Wolf .308 out of a FAL.  It was a bit more accurate than some of the other surplus I had been using.

No complaints, and (when purchasing by the case online) is a bit cheaper than Wal Mart-sourced ZQI.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had good results with the steel-cased Wolf .308 out of a FAL.  It was a bit more accurate than some of the other surplus I had been using.

No complaints, and (when purchasing by the case online) is a bit cheaper than Wal Mart-sourced ZQI.
View Quote

Agree,
but for the small price difference, I figure I can shoot brass and lead.

I find that I don't shoot much 7.62.... or 8mm mauser anymore, for that matter.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
fed match

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still searching for the holy grail in .308.
fed match

Me too! Either out of stock or in small boxes. Prices are out of sight. I need about 4k rounds
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top