Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2014 4:05:28 PM EDT
I have been looking into different bulk ammo prices for .223/5.56 online (http://www.bulkammo.com/rifle/bulk-.223-ammo) and have found prices ranging from $.34/rd all the way to nearly $1.00/rd. I understand the basic reasons behind price variation, HP v. FMJ etc. but what is the real manufacturing difference between the el cheapo and "quality" ammunition.

I'm about to order a hefty supply to re-stock the fridge if you will, but before I do I'd love  little education on why the prices differ so much. Powder variations? Importation costs? Manufacturing costs in the US/foreign made? Overall quality/consistency? I'm betting there's somebody out there who can spell out the gory details for me.

Thank ya much,
Andy
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As a "New Member," having to split this up is annoying enough to make it brief (ish).
You pretty well answered your own question. But, I'll try to touch on the basics of some of the most important factors from least to most significant:

• Bullet Design / Construction
    This is insignificant when comparing 55 gr. FMJBT XM193 to Winchester White Box 55 gr. SPR even to 77 gr. Sierra OTM. The differences in weight and design are, from a manufacturing standpoint, relatively minor. It gets important when you get into Bonded Core or Mono-Metal designs. These require different processes and equipment to make that can increase costs significantly (although the increased cost is equally due to increased performance potential).

• Manufacturing Process / Equipment
    Most ammo is produced on dedicated industrial presses (we'll stick with final process, primer + case + powder + projectile = ammo) that produce 10,000s of rounds per hour. Some of this equipment is consumable, mainly the dies which wear out after several 100,000 rounds. The first usually 10,000 rounds made on a new set of dies become what is sold as "Match Grade" ammo. There are some exceptions, such as Black Hills who load their Custom Grade ammo (kinda) by hand on Dillon Presses. That gives them more control over the process and more opportunity for in-process Q.C.

Continued Below...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
...Continued From Above

• Consistency of Components
    This goes hand-in-hand with Manufacturing Process and Equipment, but is also a separate subject. The more consistent the individual components going into that final round, the more consistent - and by extension, accurate - the final product. Brass can vary in weight, volume, wall thickness, flash hole size, concentricity, hardness, etc. Primers and powder can ignite faster, or burn hotter. Bullets can vary in weight, jacket thickness, concentricity, overall length, ogive-to-tip (meplat) length, meplat geometry - which all affect Ballistic Coefficient (B.C. -  how "slippery" a bullet is as it flies, larger value is better) and Rotational Axis vs. Center of Gravity, among many other things. So having all your cases the same weight with the same volume and uniform flash holes, along with very accurate and consistent powder charges from the same lot of powder, combined with bullets sorted by weight and ogive-to-meplat length with uniformed meplats and checked for concentricity will - when combined with wise selection of components and proper process on quality equipment - yield the ultimate in accuracy potential.

This is not even a gnat bite on the elephant ass of Interior and Exterior Ballistics. Nor is it a significant treatise on Ammunition Manufacturing Processes, Components, Design, and Equipment. It's just a real quick and dirty peek into the process to help you better understand it. Standard caveats apply - exception to every rule, YMMV, paying for a name, etc. I'd suggest seriously considering getting into reloading. I load XM193 for 20.4 cents per round and Sierra 77 gr. MK for 39.7 cents per round not counting brass cost. Brass adds about 1.2 cents per round if you reload it 7 times. Handloading allows you to experiment to get the absolute best possible performance from every weapon you own for the lowest possible price.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty explanatory and, I suppoose, exactly what I expected to hear. Thanks for the post
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just chrono'd a ton of different ammo (here.... and noticed a HUGE difference in accuracy in all the ammo I tested.

If you have the time I suggest you try some with decent accuracy reviews.

Quite a few come to mind.... Wolf Gold is a good value currently... BUT you need to try the ammo in your rifle.

And see what kind of accuracy you will get..... the difference in MOA between the inexpensive ammo ran around 3 MOA.... Why not get cheap inexpensive accurate ammo for the same price ?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...Continued From Above

• Consistency of Components
    This goes hand-in-hand with Manufacturing Process and Equipment, but is also a separate subject. The more consistent the individual components going into that final round, the more consistent - and by extension, accurate - the final product. Brass can vary in weight, volume, wall thickness, flash hole size, concentricity, hardness, etc. Primers and powder can ignite faster, or burn hotter. Bullets can vary in weight, jacket thickness, concentricity, overall length, ogive-to-tip (meplat) length, meplat geometry - which all affect Ballistic Coefficient (B.C. -  how "slippery" a bullet is as it flies, larger value is better) and Rotational Axis vs. Center of Gravity, among many other things. So having all your cases the same weight with the same volume and uniform flash holes, along with very accurate and consistent powder charges from the same lot of powder, combined with bullets sorted by weight and ogive-to-meplat length with uniformed meplats and checked for concentricity will - when combined with wise selection of components and proper process on quality equipment - yield the ultimate in accuracy potential.

This is not even a gnat bite on the elephant ass of Interior and Exterior Ballistics. Nor is it a significant treatise on Ammunition Manufacturing Processes, Components, Design, and Equipment. It's just a real quick and dirty peek into the process to help you better understand it. Standard caveats apply - exception to every rule, YMMV, paying for a name, etc. I'd suggest seriously considering getting into reloading. I load XM193 for 20.4 cents per round and Sierra 77 gr. MK for 39.7 cents per round not counting brass cost. Brass adds about 1.2 cents per round if you reload it 7 times. Handloading allows you to experiment to get the absolute best possible performance from every weapon you own for the lowest possible price.

Hope this helps!
View Quote

You load anything in a blitzking?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top