Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 11:16:49 AM EDT
What's the difference in the ZQI 5.56 ammo. One box I have is white, the other box is tan and says SS109 62gr.

Is this stuff good?

I scooped a load of it up during the Walmart sale the they week
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What's the difference in the ZQI 5.56 ammo. One box I have is white, the other box is tan and says SS109 62gr.

Is this stuff good?

View Quote

Same stuff, new packaging.

It's good stuff, I'd rate it up there with IMI M855.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this stuff good?

QFT

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this stuff good?

Turkey = Israel?  Shot a lot of IMI but never ZQI. Just putting it out there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the white box is 55gr XM193 and the tan box is SS109/M855 "green tip"
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the white box is 55gr XM193 and the tan box is SS109/M855 "green tip"
View Quote

Nah, it's all SS109/M855.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it boxer primed for us reloaders?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it boxer primed for us reloaders?
View Quote

Yes.  

ETA:  It's all crimped, though, so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh, ok.  Thanks for the correction!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought some from the local WM. I would not rate it as highly as IMI. Good(MKE) but not the best(IMI).  
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this stuff good?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
From the many many rounds of ZQI ive fired at this point, id say its just as good as any M855 on the market. And it is by far the cleanest, the brass is shiny as a sumbitch. When I load Lake City in my stripper clips my hands are black by the 5th round. Still love me some LC too tho
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this stuff good?

Turkey is a NATO country, so their SS109 load should meet the same minimum parameters as IMI's M855.
Edited to fix goobered up quote...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
There are several thing I consider when choosing ammo, most shiny case is not one of them. M855 does have minimum requirements, I don't think NATO list "shine" as one. The UN on the other hand, no telling. It would not surprise me if the UN has a minimum "bling" requirement for the ammo they buy. Have to coordinate with the white and blue you know.  
Quoted:
From the many many rounds of ZQI ive fired at this point, id say its just as good as any M855 on the market. And it is by far the cleanest, the brass is shiny as a sumbitch. When I load Lake City in my stripper clips my hands are black by the 5th round. Still love me some LC too tho
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I just disected one, the bullet held a magnet, the jacket was a lot thicker than any wolf or tula jacket though,it weighed it at 63.3 grains, there was 25.1 grains of what looked a lot like a bl-c2 or ww748 type powder, very fine grained, the brass is nice and new shiny on the inside so it is not remanufactured and it is boxer primed and crimped. Bought mine yesterday at WM for $10.99 for 30 rds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are several thing I consider when choosing ammo, most shiny case is not one of them. M855 does have minimum requirements, I don't think NATO list "shine" as one. The UN on the other hand, no telling. It would not surprise me if the UN has a minimum "bling" requirement for the ammo they buy. Have to coordinate with the white and blue you know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shiny is probably for marketing purposes.  And though I think the MIL-SPEC for M855 does say the annealing of the neck has to be visible, this is commercial ammunition, so it doesn't need to meet those appearance standards.  I'm really more interested in what this stuff chronographs at from 20" and 14.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shiny is probably for marketing purposes.  And though I think the MIL-SPEC for M855 does say the annealing of the neck has to be visible, this is commercial ammunition, so it doesn't need to meet those appearance standards.  I'm really more interested in what this stuff chronographs at from 20" and 14.5" barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. They still claim it to be mil spec, or "NATO" anyways, no NATO cross on the case I just now checked tho just "mk 14" headstamp
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Just went out the door and shot some 5.56 for groups, i didn't shoot any across the chrony, but i shot some nice groups with it, several were around a 11/2 inches none were over 2.
Best part besides the price is the ZQI shoots to the same poi as my hornady sp and fmj handloads, i am impressed, waaay better ammo than the other discount junk i have bought before. This ammo will shoot circles around winchester white box.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just disected one, the bullet held a magnet, the jacket was a lot thicker than any wolf or tula jacket though,it weighed it at 63.3 grains, there was 25.1 grains of what looked a lot like a bl-c2 or ww748 type powder, very fine grained, the brass is nice and new shiny on the inside so it is not remanufactured and it is boxer primed and crimped. Bought mine yesterday at WM for $10.99 for 30 rds.
View Quote

So, is this copper wash/steel jacket ammo?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's an SS109 bullet; their web site shows it as copper jacketed with a steel insert and lead/antimony core.  Since Turkey is a NATO nation, I pretty much believe their stated specs - which are just like NATO 5.56mm ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
On the website the jacket is listed as brass. But there is a steel tip inside the front of the jacket .
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the ZQI 556 NATO in my MP15. I'm stocking up on 'em as you can't beat the price ($9.97/30 at WM) and it's more accurate than the AEs, both FMJ and HP. That's from my MP15 that is, it likes the 62g better than the 50g/55g.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]

It's about 50 fps slower than IMI M855 and the same average as surplus M855 from LC:

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top