Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2014 6:01:38 AM EDT
Posting this in hopes to save just one fool who wants to purchase the FAKE Argentine Depleted Uranium (DU) API off Gun Broker.  $450 for 10 rounds!  
First of all Argentina never made a DU round, either for the military or experimental.  Other than a US company, no one is known to have made one.
Second of all it wouldn't the have incendiary compound inside the projectile since DU is already self igniting in dust form.

The US version was made by Pacific Technica (DARPA +TRW).  It is a 72gr projectile with a 56gr penetrator in a black sabot, in reused US military cases, LC/70.  It makes a Geiger counter sing.

Not only is Depleted Uranium self igniting, but its also self sharpening.  There is always a point on the projectile, even while its going thru the target.  

Probably the most expensive 7.62x51 around, $250 each at todays prices.  That's if you can find one for sale.
No I have not sectioned one, yet.  Would leave the penetrator whole if I did.  Its a dark gray core with a aluminum pusher cup at its base.  Here is a picture of a whole round.
wolfganggross  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]

The US version was made by Pacific Technica (DARPA +TRW). It is a 72gr projectile with a 56gr penetrator in a black sabot, in reused US military cases, LC/70  
View Quote

Very interesting!

Strange that they didn't use new cases.  Not like it would have pushed up the cost of production by any significant amount.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. I can see why you haven't sectioned one yet. I'd definitely avoid making Uranium dust.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't mind having a belt of that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have got to wonder just how effective such a round would be ? I understand the DU in certain large caliber stuff is designed to be more effective against certain armor but with small arms wouldn't it be easier to just get a bigger gun ?

Was any of this 7.62 DU stuff deployed or was it a small run for testing and evaluation?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have got to wonder just how effective such a round would be ? I understand the DU in certain large caliber stuff is designed to be more effective against certain armor but with small arms wouldn't it be easier to just get a bigger gun ?

Was any of this 7.62 DU stuff deployed or was it a small run for testing and evaluation?
View Quote

I'm guessing it turns an M60 into an effective anti BMP weapon. That could be useful.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
We stopped using DU a while ago.  Last ship (2000 - 2004) ran tungsten rounds in the CIWS.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.
Never knew they made a DU 7.62.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a hard enough time finding SLAP 7.62 for my collection, can't imagine how difficult it would be to find this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm guessing it turns an M60 into an effective anti BMP weapon. That could be useful.
View Quote
right until you caught a whiff of the dust

I would still like a belt of it though-jic

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're soloing a BMP with an M60, your life expectancy is short of the norm already.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top