Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 9:19:02 PM EDT
Does this ammo have the same effect as M193? Or would it not be adequate for HD?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
.223 not loaded as hot as 5.56

I wouldn't want to be shot with either.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant say about gel tests. AE223 55gr FMJ is a little slower than M193, it is not crimped nor is it sealed like M193. It wouldn't make a good patrol round without those features, but I don't see why it wouldn't kill bad guys. I would use it for SHTF. I have a 1k of it and would not hesitate to use it.

There are much better cartridges, but it will kill bad guys. You might want at least a mag or two of a good soft point or heavy OTM that are made for defense. I have a couple of mags with 75gr NATO TAP and MK262. If I need more than that, I will grab the bulk stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
AE is 223 pressure.

It was my go to ammo for years back when they had red boxes. Still have 1.5k loaded with LC brass.

Pretty damn accurate for what it is...

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip

Pretty damn accurate for what it is...

View Quote

This is true. I like it for 3 gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I got my first AR a few weeks ago and I am trying to build an ammo stockpile.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I got my first AR a few weeks ago and I am trying to build an ammo stockpile.
View Quote

Go for it then. If you happen to find better ammo suited for your HD needs, pick that up too. It's good ammo, you can always trade it if you find you prefer something else.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience in several different calibers, AE is probably the best of the cheaper ammo.  Although winchester is a close second with some of the loadings.  But I've always gotten decent accuracy from it from several different guns.  

But yeah, as far as effective, I have no clue.  Not as good as some others, but definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It's decent stuff.  I use it fairly often at the range.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind if you reload, or may possibly consider it, AE223 brass is really short. Too short for me anyways.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used a ton and it works just fine.

I've been trying to standardize my stock and I've been buying xm193
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:43:09 AM EDT
[#11]
http://le.atk.com/downloads/catalogs/223RifleDataBook_vol-1.pdf

Gel test of AE223 shown in the above publication. Actually doesn't look terrible compared to a lot of loads. Loooong neck length in bare gel, looks better in heavy clothing, which I've heard from knowledgeable sources is the test closer to matching real world performance. In both of those tests it reaches 12+ inches, though. Looks pretty similar to M193 to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its accurate and fairly clean.

There are a lot better options available. But if your just starting to stock up, get as much as you can.

It pokes holes in stuff just like the $2 a round ammo does.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top