Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
This is my second thread on this.

In the first one, I got several recommendations for heavy duty shelves from HD or Lowes, so I picked up one with a metal key-lock frame and wooden shelves rated at 1000 lbs per shelf.

Unfortunately, the shelf surrounds are already buckling from the load.

So now I'm back in the market for some shelves capable of holding several thousand rounds of a variety of ammo.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the steel shelving that uses wire mesh shelving instead of the wooden shelves.   We have three of them in our basement and they seem to hold

weight exceptionally well.

The specs say they will hold 2k pounds per shelf.    The specs @ lowes for your shelving unit is 1k pounds per shelf.  I can tell you that the ones I linked below

are built much better than the ones you pictured.  On mine, there is a support bar in the middle of each shelf, running front to back that adds to the rigidity of the

shelf itself.  The wire shelf grate is pretty heavy duty itself.  

I think we paid $140 for ours on sale a few months back.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Build some shelves out of 2x6s, frame each shelf out with a 2x6 every foot and skin it with 2 layers of 3/4 inch ply.  It'll be heavy as hell bht it'll hold a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check out the steel shelving that uses wire mesh shelving instead of the wooden shelves.   We have three of them in our basement and they seem to hold
weight exceptionally well.
View Quote

The specs say they will hold 2k pounds per shelf.    The specs @ lowes for your shelving unit is 1k pounds per shelf.  I can tell you that the ones I linked below

are built much better than the ones you pictured.  On mine, there is a support bar in the middle of each shelf, running front to back that adds to the rigidity of the

these are nice racks,I have 2 in the garage

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I see now.  I have the edsal, but the 3-tier one is the only one with the wire mesh shelves that support 2k lbs.  I thought they were all the same design, just with different sizes and # of tiers.

I would like to have 4-5 shelves instead of 3, but I don't see a place to buy the wire mesh shelf independently.  Anyone seen them available?

ETA - typos
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, I see now.  I have the edsal, but the 3-tier one is the only one with the wire mesh shelves that support 2k lbs.  I thought they were are the same design, just with different sizes and # of tiers.

I would like to have 4-5 shelves instead of 3, but I don't see a place to buy the wire mesh shelf independently.  Anyone seen them available?
View Quote

Yes, Edsal makes several grades and apparently you picked up the lower-weight one.

You can buy all the extra pieces you want and change the 3-shelf standard to anything else.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_319485-1281-ER72_1z11xm0+1z13eao__?productId=3219973&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=edsal

That's just an example- you need to match the piece to your system. Just do a search and you'll see where you can buy decking, shelf bars, etc all separately.

I have up to five shelves on mine, all completely loaded with ammo cans, with no weight issues at all.  Mine are the same ones that tackleberry1145 linked to above.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I think your shelf bracket there is upside down.  I could be horribly wrong however.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think your shelf bracket there is upside down.  I could be horribly wrong however.
View Quote

I don't think you're wrong.  I think the shelf bracket is upside down...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to worry................just keep posting pictures with your address exposed and soon someone will be at your house to remove your problem for you.....OPSEC Google it
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not to worry................just keep posting pictures with your address exposed and soon someone will be at your house to remove your problem for you.....OPSEC Google it
View Quote

Ah, the inability to provide advice without being a dick.    Thank you, GD.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out the steel shelving that uses wire mesh shelving instead of the wooden shelves.   We have three of them in our basement and they seem to holdweight exceptionally well.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319477-1281-7224PRBWWD3_0__?productId=3172913&Ntt=metal+shelving&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dmetal%2Bshelving&facetInfo=

View Quote

Just a heads up, if you buy the same style shelving unit from home depot it comes with an extra shelf compaired to the lowes model.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just a heads up, if you buy the same style shelving unit from home depot it comes with an extra shelf compaired to the lowes model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out the steel shelving that uses wire mesh shelving instead of the wooden shelves.   We have three of them in our basement and they seem to holdweight exceptionally well.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319477-1281-7224PRBWWD3_0__?productId=3172913&Ntt=metal+shelving&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dmetal%2Bshelving&facetInfo=

Nice, thanks.  There's not a Lowes near the HD where we shop now, but there is one almost across the street from the HD near our old house which is only a few miles further.  I may check them out this weekend and compare shelving units.

The point might be moot, however.  I've been using the closet in my office to store things for a while because I work from home and like to tinker around with stuff during the day between calls, but Mrs. DJ is griping about wanting the space for holiday decorations.  So I may have to split things up into smaller groups and move the shelves to the garage for stuff that usually sit on the floor there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankyou.    I have Gorilla Racks rated at 500lb per shelf but tried to flip a shelf bracket, and 50lbs would distort it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Strong-hold cabinets.  

http://www.strong-hold.com/

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thankyou.    I have Gorilla Racks rated at 500lb per shelf but tried to flip a shelf bracket, and 50lbs would distort it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take a look and see if I have the instructions any more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Costco carries whalen industrial shelves.  Incredibly strong.  The rack alone weighs almost 200 pounds.

Remember, whatever the shelf's rating, that is with that much weight spread out evenly, not in one point.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
it looks like you're missing the shelf stabilizers that keep the shelf from bowing out. they fit in the holes on the bottom.

If you don't have them, add 3" pieces of wood underneatth the plywood, add a screw on the hole in the bottom mto keep from bowing
I left mine out of one set of shelves, same thing happened to me. Added the cut 2x4's and good as new.

Its not the shelves, they will handle the weight, its how you put them together.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones that are rated for serious loads cannot be installed upside down- the keyways are wedge shaped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top