Site Notices
100 gr 5.56mm ammo? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ottertail:
Yes I swage my own rifle bullets.  The 92 gr bullets have shown to be stable out to 100 yds with the 7" twist in both my 10.5" and 16" barrels with outside temperature around 40 degrees.  Have not shot them in my long barrel with 8" twist.  Penetration in gel has been straight line with no

noticeable departure from the original flight path.  Goal was to achieve excellent penetration with some expansion for the SBR.
View Quote
Are they only stable to 100yds? Or thats as far as you have shot them?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not shot them at distances greater than 100 yds.

I have some photos, will try to post but cannot import directly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
" />
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure why that does not import the image into the post.  If I click on the link I can see my photo.

The 92 gr bullet on the left was shot from the 10.5" barrel at approx 2100 fps at Clear Ballistics Gel from a distance of 50 yds.

The middle bullet is obviously unfired.  It has a length of 1.020" which is shorter than a Berger 80 gr which I measured at 1.090"

The bullet on the right was fired from a 16" barrel at approx 2400 fps at Clear Ballistics Gel from a distance of 50 yds.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Team members can see your pictures.  All ARFCOM newbies have the same issues and questions.  You are not a team member (a paying member) and your post count is under 50, so any pictures you post (even if they are posted correctly - you can see them in preview) will be replaced by their links to all non-members.  Your pictures will begin to display to non-members (including yourself) after three members approve the pictures.  Once you have 50+ posts or you pay for a membership, you'll be ale to post images without needing the members approvals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Update:  I fired this ammo out of a 10.3" URG using a new FN SOCOM 1:7 twist bbl. at 100m last year.  Rifle equipped with a Matech BUIS and KAC folding front sight.  Mk 262 on left and Frangible ammo on right.  No longer have any of this ammo left.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Interested
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know the heaviest possible bullet that will stabilize in 1:7? I know length is key rather than weight but lets stay with conventional copper jacketed lead core bullets. What is max weight possible? At what point will we reach diminishing returns due to the bullet taking up too much powder space in the case?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By T1000:
Does this mean there’s someone on another forum right now asking about 55gr bullets in a 300blk.  
View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Does anyone know the heaviest possible bullet that will stabilize in 1:7? I know length is key rather than weight but lets stay with conventional copper jacketed lead core bullets. What is max weight possible? At what point will we reach diminishing returns due to the bullet taking up too much powder space in the case?
View Quote
You can figure it out with the Berger twist calculator here.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

As you noted, it depends on the length, density, twist rate, speed, and enviormental conditions.

I think there is supposed to be an absolute limit on the length of a projectile that can be spin stabilized reguardless of twist, density, or speed.  I believe it is around an L/D of 7.  I don't think the boundary is cut and dry but as you approach it, you need to switch to fin stabilized.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm all in when you guys come up with some depleted uranium penetrators.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Well, in all honesty if your slug is tumbling end over end because of insufficient stability it's not going to fly for shit.  

But I get where you're coming from.
View Quote
When shooting at 550m with m1a there are both  holes and keyholes on the same target.

My bullets hit the target while tumbling.  
I’m suspecting the trajectory arc is causing the bullet to flip over when it hits paper.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
100 gr 5.56mm ammo? (Page 2 of 2)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top