Posted: 9/14/2014 12:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver]
Anyone know about this BH 100gr ammo?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Must be available only to space shuttle door gunners, its not listed on their site.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have to be made from some type of Tungsten powder, so its probably classified as AP by the retards at the BATF.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hookoil] [#3]
Tap
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davetrader] [#4]
Not tungsten, lead cored and copper jacketed.  Looked like someone taped two M193s together.  The last I saw of it, the bullets were being sold as pulls or blems on Midway.

Here is a little test on it.

100gr OTM Test
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Had never heard of this ammo before.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#7]
I've got some 103 gr bullets that aren't any bigger than 75 gr Berger VLDs. I believe that's what that ammo was loaded with.

I believe they were made by Powell River Labs, but Sinister knows waaaayyyy more about them than anyone else here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember a while back when Doc Roberts posted here that you needed like a 1/6 twist rate to run it. Otherwise you got a rainbow trajectory.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morbidbattlecry:
I remember a while back when Doc Roberts posted here that you needed like a 1/6 twist rate to run it. Otherwise you got a rainbow trajectory.
View Quote

I believe most ballistic trajecories at sufficient angle resemble a rainbow or arc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen a case of 87s.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Would be a great SBR round...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds perfect for a 10.5" gun. Tag for info.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Somewhere I have around a hundred rounds of "Extreme Shock" 100 gr. ammo tucked away.  It is frangible, loaded on LC brass, and has a hollow point.  It's "nytrillium", whatever that is.

It's subsonic, and supposed to run an M4.  I've never shot any.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Eric802:

And twist rate has nothing to do with trajectory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I believe most ballistic trajecories at sufficient angle resemble a rainbow or arc.

I'm just quoting what he posted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF2147.JPG
View Quote

Are those yours? Can you pull some?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't have my bullet puller with me but do have a Gerber so I'll try and pull a bullet.  No scale or chronograph at location however.

CD
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't have my bullet puller with me but do have a Gerber so I'll try and pull a bullet.  No scale or chronograph at location however.

CD
View Quote

Did you get issued that? A friend of mine was telling me about some new type of ammo that he was trying out in his mk18 a few months ago while he was over ther. I wonder if this was it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Well, in all honesty if your slug is tumbling end over end because of insufficient stability it's not going to fly for shit.  

But I get where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

I believe this to be correct, a heavy ass round out of too slow of a twist barrel would cause the round to yaw correct? Not sure where he got rainbow trajectory from
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

PRL did the 87gr sintered stuff, but the 100gr was a conventional bullet design.

View All Quotes
I've got some 103 gr bullets that aren't any bigger than 75 gr Berger VLDs. I believe that's what that ammo was loaded with.

I believe they were made by Powell River Labs, but Sinister knows waaaayyyy more about them than anyone else here.

PRL did the 87gr sintered stuff, but the 100gr was a conventional bullet design.

The history of my bullets is obscure and difficult to research.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

I believe this to be correct, a heavy ass round out of too slow of a twist barrel would cause the round to yaw correct? Not sure where he got rainbow trajectory from
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

A non-stabilized will not fly as far as a stabilized one. So it will drop faster.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]
It might drop. Might go cartwheeling up into the sky too.

Go get a copy of Litz's Applied Ballistics
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Haven't pulled a bullet but found this instead on it.

CD
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#29]
Very interesting, I wonder at what length and weight a 5.56 bullet will behave the same in a 1/7 twist barrel as the M193 did in a 1/12 twist, as it is my understanding it was the slight unstable in flight yaw that caused the M193 to be so devistating...until the faster twist rates rifles were issues and over stablized it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
Very interesting, I wonder at what length and weight a 5.56 bullet will behave the same in a 1/7 twist barrel as the M193 did in a 1/12 twist, as it is my understanding it was the slight unstable in flight yaw that caused the M193 to be so devistating...until the faster twist rates rifles were issues and over stablized it.
View Quote

A myth. M193 bullets are fully stable in the air and you can't spin a bullet fast enough to make it stable in tissue, there is no such thing as overstabilized.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#31]
BH made the 100 gr supersonic load for the military back around 2002-2004.  These supersonic loads had a blue coating on the bullets and they came on stripper clips packed in .50 cal ammo cans as illustrated above.  The ammo was an limited issue expedient option designed primarily for fighting at 200 yds and closer.  This ammo has not been made in over a decade, as there are much better options available now, so it is simply a footnote in SOF ammo history.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

A myth. M193 bullets are fully stable in the air and you can't spin a bullet fast enough to make it stable in tissue, there is no such thing as overstabilized.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Originally Posted By OldArmy:  Very interesting, I wonder at what length and weight a 5.56 bullet will behave the same in a 1/7 twist barrel as the M193 did in a 1/12 twist, as it is my understanding it was the slight unstable in flight yaw that caused the M193 to be so devistating...until the faster twist rates rifles were issues and over stablized it.

It seems to be a rather persistent myth.  55 grn bullets fired @ lower velocity than M193 from the early 1 in 14" twist M-16 seemingly produced spectacular wounds; M193, @ a slightly higher velocity w/ 1 in 12" twist did not do so well.  Modern M855 out of the 14.5" M4 is rather notorious for ice-pick style wounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#35]

There is no difference in wounding from a 1/14 vs. 1/12.

In regards to the variation in wounding potential from .223, please refer to the "Best choices for self defense ammo" and the chapter "Why not M193/M855?". It discusses the fleet yaw issue that seems to affect .223 to a disproportionate degree.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It seems to be a rather persistent myth.  55 grn bullets fired @ lower velocity than M193 from the early 1 in 14" twist M-16 seemingly produced spectacular wounds; M193, @ a slightly higher velocity w/ 1 in 12" twist did not do so well.  Modern M855 out of the 14.5" M4 is rather notorious for ice-pick style wounds.

There is no difference in wounding from a 1/14 vs. 1/12.

In regards to the variation in wounding potential from .223, please refer to the "Best choices for self defense ammo" and the chapter "Why not M193/M855?". It discusses the fleet yaw issue that seems to affect .223 to a disproportionate degree.  

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

Has a very small section which discusses fleet yaw in M855, and does not seemingly address M193, nor the slightly slower predecessor to M193 which was fired from the 1/14" twist bbl.

Nor does the link in that section work @ present.

From http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-1.html cited in the Ammo Oracle:

1962:

July: ARPA's operational testing of the AR-15 in Vietnam ends. Later in the month, ARPA releases the report "Test of ArmaLite Rifle, AR-15." The report concludes that the AR-15 is superior to the M2 Carbine, and better suited for Vietnamese soldiers than the M1 rifle, the M1918 BAR, and the Thompson SMG. Vietnamese troops and their US advisors reportedly considered the AR-15 "the best "all around" shoulder weapon" then in use. ARPA notes that there were no part breakages in nearly 80,000 rounds fired, and only two parts were replaced. The report also includes graphic details of the .223 Remington's terminal effects. The results are typically described as "explosive."

The American Rifleman article is cited for the AR-15's inaccuracy in cold weather, yet changing the rifling twist would likely decrease of the rifle's lethality.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DocGKR:
BH made the 100 gr supersonic load for the military back around 2002-2004.  These supersonic loads had a blue coating on the bullets and they came on stripper clips packed in .50 cal ammo cans as illustrated above.  The ammo was an limited issue expedient option designed primarily for fighting at 200 yds and closer.  This ammo has not been made in over a decade, as there are much better options available now, so it is simply a footnote in SOF ammo history.
View Quote

Thanks for the info Doc, still haven't shoot the 30 rds yet.  Got a Mk18 (10.3") to test them with later.

CD
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:18:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#38]
"The report also includes graphic details of the .223 Remington's terminal effects. The results are typically described as "explosive."
View Quote

The mechanisms of yaw, hyperexpansion, and fragmentation were not known at that time, so that report simply perpetuates more myth along with a sad lack of science.

Combat Diver:  be careful--that ammo uses an older propellent which is NOT heat stable; there have been some pressure issues as a result.  Would hate to see your rifle blown apart.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Combat Diver:  be careful--that ammo uses an older propellent which is NOT heat stable; there have been some pressure issues as a result.  Would hate to see your rifle blown apart.
View Quote

Roger, might just keep for last ditch defensive use then.

CD
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  I'll have to fix the link. Molon pulled most of his documents off of box.net unfortunately.

A 1962 article is hardly the definitive source on wounding potential. The knowledge about wound ballistics in those days was very limited. Unless I'm mistaken, Doctor Roberts or Dr. Fackler have tested 1/12 vs. 1/14 and did not find any difference.

[ETA] http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_tighttwist.html  
View Quote

Ah, thanks for the link - that does answer the question.  But I've really enjoyed reading this:

http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-6.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember arguing about this 10-12 years ago.  It was a bust then.  Why would it be any better now when it was dropped 9-11 years ago?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:  I remember arguing about this 10-12 years ago.  It was a bust then.  Why would it be any better now when it was dropped 9-11 years ago?
View Quote

Maximum allowable chamber pressures have been upped?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:  I remember arguing about this 10-12 years ago.  It was a bust then.  Why would it be any better now when it was dropped 9-11 years ago?

Ok, I can see that.  Not so sure higher pressures are all that good long term but it does rekindle the argument a bit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#44]

CD
View All Quotes

CD

Self defense? Hell i'd sell it. I'd imagine some ammo collectors would love to have some. I would love to have some lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Does this mean there’s someone on another forum right now asking about 55gr bullets in a 300blk.  

Also since when does 'Not heat stable' mean ammo has a shorter shelf life or that these round should never be fired in any rifle?

No but in all seriousness don't fire them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Based on some of the above, I have been experimenting with heavy bullets (90 to 100 gr) for use in a 10.5" SBR.  Latest version was 92 gr with a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps.  Bullet expanded to twice original diameter, penetrated 15 inches of Clear Ballistics Gel, and had a retained weight of 86 gr.

Velocity in a 16" barrel was 2400fps.  This also expanded to twice original diameter, completely penetrated a 16 inch block of gel and had a retained weight of 55 gr.

Been too cold to test my next version which is 97 gr.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Are you making the bullets?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes I swage my own rifle bullets.  The 92 gr bullets have shown to be stable out to 100 yds with the 7" twist in both my 10.5" and 16" barrels with outside temperature around 40 degrees.  Have not shot them in my long barrel with 8" twist.  Penetration in gel has been straight line with no

noticeable departure from the original flight path.  Goal was to achieve excellent penetration with some expansion for the SBR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Missing information.  Gel block testing was done from 50 yds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
100 gr 5.56mm ammo? (Page 1 of 2)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top