User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regarding water testing, a cup doesn't exactly simulate real world. Pressure at depth is the enemy of a bullet case. As far as the most likely encountered water resistance needed, I would say submerged the rounds 4 feet under water for 30 minutes. Most folks that would wind up getting their weapon and ammo wet would have at least their head above water and the ammo wouldn't remain submerged for that long as I am guessing the first instinct would be to get your weapon/ammo out of the water and get it dried out. This, of course, doesn't apply to Navy Seals that might be diving with their weapon, in which case the ammo should probably be tested at a depth of 30 to 60 feet for 1.5 hours.
View Quote

The Hornady tap le gmx rounds I had failed just in a cup of water. Any further testing was pointless as failure was easily achieved with that. I am very happy to see Black Hills waterproofing their monometal loads and will be buying!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No offense meant, but why has Sierra or Black Hills not posted real world elevation adjustments from a 20 inch barrel AR15 at 600, 800 and 1,000 yards?

Ive been it sales for 30 years.

Seems like a good idea to me!

G1 ballistic coefficients are notoriously inaccurate at 1,000 yards.  I shot a 125 grain the other day that was 4 MOA off that predicted (40 inches difference in drop!).

That's why I ask.

G1 BC will probably be closer to .395 average at 1,000 yards.  It really does help to keep the bullet supersonic at 1,000.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't like to be a thread killer so I'm removing my comment.  There is just too much good information here to stop the information flow.  Scouts Out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Just snagged 100 of the 77TMK's off midway last night.  There's a 1k yard range nearby in Delaware, but they have no information on how to join on their website, so I guess all I'll have available is 500.

Better than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
12_Guage

We have so far made only pre-production runs of the 556 70 GMX. As soon as production quantities of bullets show up we will make the first production run. I expect that to happen within next two weeks.All production runs will be marked "Water Resistant" on the individual box label. Why resistant not waterproof? Because there is no such thing as unbreakable. Anything can be defeated and I did not want to throw out that challenge to this group. This is the same method used on our military ammunition.
The other bullet types ,5.56mm 50 TSX and 62 TSX ,will start being made with neck sealant with the next production runs, with the boxes marked in the same manner.
Jeff
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
12_Guage

We have so far made only pre-production runs of the 556 70 GMX. As soon as production quantities of bullets show up we will make the first production run. I expect that to happen within next two weeks.All production runs will be marked "Water Resistant" on the individual box label. Why resistant not waterproof? Because there is no such thing as unbreakable. Anything can be defeated and I did not want to throw out that challenge to this group. This is the same method used on our military ammunition.
The other bullet types ,5.56mm 50 TSX and 62 TSX ,will start being made with neck sealant with the next production runs, with the boxes marked in the same manner.
Jeff
View Quote

Amazing product and customer support! Thank-you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Since the components are being made available any guess on which powder would provide the best results? I understand YMMV but I currently have an excessive amount of Varget at my disposal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since the components are being made available any guess on which powder would provide the best results? I understand YMMV but I currently have an excessive amount of Varget at my disposal.
View Quote

Varget and RL-15 are two of the more beloved powders for heavier projectiles in .223
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used both Varget  and RE15 with all of my heavy bullet loads in 5.56  Varget ended up 24.4 grains and RE 15 25 grains.  I would begin at least .4 grains less.  I got 100 Sierra 77 TMK bullets in the mail yesterday and I intend to begin at 24 grains of Varget.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd start with the ones listed here: http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Whew, I just loaded two 10 round batches of the 77 TMK.  I had some die adjustments to make so I wasted 5 bullets.  Sort of, I'll still shoot them.  I used the same setting on my seater that I used on the Nosler 77 grain and found that it was leaving a pressure ring on the bullet.  It took me 5 rounds to adjust until the ring was not there.  I ended with one batch with 24.5 grains of Varget seated to 2.250 and one batch with 24 grains also seated to 2.250.  I ended up using my Redding seater.  For these rounds I'm using Lake City, sized and trimmed and weighed.  Tomorrow I'll use RE-15 with the same formula I used with the Nosler bullet. and one batch with a .5 lighter load.  I plan to use Range 3 at Ft. Huachuca to test but it may not be for 2 weeks as I'm sponsoring Mas Ayoob next weekend and we will be going through a week of Masamania.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd be interested to see the final numbers on your load, just wondering how close we will be able to get with commercial powder.

Huachuca was almost my home when I was contemplating Army intel a decade ago. My recruiter talked it up pretty good. At least I would have been out of the snow!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I hit it with my Nosler 77 grain loads, in fact exceeded then dropped back a bit.  One thing to watch our for that I see is that it is easy to leave a ring around the nose of the bullet.  I will probably include a Vit powder in the testing.  540 or 135.

So far with all my loads the best bullet I have is the Berger 73 grain bthp.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Just an FYI did more velocity tests this weekend.... Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK.

BH 5.56x45 ..77gr TMK .......16" V7 Match Barrel Middie, .... 2636 fps, ES 54fps....... 20" CHF SS Wylde...... 2753 fps, ES 63.

Accuracy from both barrels was outstanding. ( Haven't measured that stuff yet. )

EDIT !!  One other side note the . 223 brass used by BH is Federal .... ( My bad, I thought the brass for the TMK was Fed. Headstamp, I was just informed that I am Incorrect... by Black Hills. )

The Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK does indeed say ( NATO Cross ) WCC 14.

Again Sorry for being a nitwit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BH 5.56x45 ..77gr TMK .......16" V7 Match Barrel Middie, .... 2636 fps, ES 54fps....... 20" CHF SS Wylde...... 2753 fps, ES 63.

Accuracy from both barrels was outstanding. ( Haven't measured that stuff yet. )

One other side note the brass used by BH is Federal ....
View Quote

bfoosh06,
    I have never seen new factory BHA 5.56MM loads in Federal brass. Post a pic or give us the exact headstamp info when you can. The factory BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK loads I used were in new "WCC 13 (+)"  NATO marked mil-spec brass. TIA.

WCC/SIERRA marking on 500 round case indicates use of new WCC brass on these BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK cartridges:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting. All my BH loads, Red, Blue, or white box, have either been WCC or LC brass.

The TMKs I got from BH were loaded in brass with a headstamp of WCC 13, like Leid mentioned.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting. All my BH loads, Red, Blue, or white box, have either been WCC or LC brass.

The TMKs I got from BH were loaded in brass with a headstamp of WCC 13, like Leid mentioned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muad,
    Due to shortages of WCC & LC mil-spec brass, BHA started using very high quality (expensive) RWS brass on some of their new loads to keep the machines running. This is confirmed info as I have seen 500 round cases marked "RWS/SIERRA" indicating RWS brass used with a 77GR. SMK OTM SIERRA bullet. But it was a BHA .223 pressure load, not the BHA 5.56MM pressure commercial MK 262 MOD 1 loading. The 500 round cases of BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK are marked "WCC/SIERRA" indicating use of WCC brass. 500 round cases of BHA commercial 5.56MM MK 262 MOD 1 using LC cases will be marked "LC/SIERRA".

RWS/SIERRA marked 500 round case indicates new RWS cases used:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Muad,

Due to shortages of WCC & LC mil-spec brass, BHA started using very high quality (expensive) RWS brass on some of their new loads to keep the machines running. This is confirmed info as I have seen 500 round cases marked "RWS/SIERRA" indicating RWS brass used with a 77GR. SMK OTM SIERRA bullet. But it was a BHA .223 pressure load, not the BHA 5.56MM pressure commercial MK 262 MOD 1 loading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Muad,

Due to shortages of WCC & LC mil-spec brass, BHA started using very high quality (expensive) RWS brass on some of their new loads to keep the machines running. This is confirmed info as I have seen 500 round cases marked "RWS/SIERRA" indicating RWS brass used with a 77GR. SMK OTM SIERRA bullet. But it was a BHA .223 pressure load, not the BHA 5.56MM pressure commercial MK 262 MOD 1 loading.

Thanks for the added info sir. I have not seen those, yet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

bfoosh06,
    I have never seen new factory BHA loads in Federal brass. Post a pic or give us the exact headstamp info when you can. The factory BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK loads I used were in "WCC 13 (+)"  NATO marked mil-spec brass. TIA.

WCC/SIERRA marking on 500 round case indicates use of new WCC brass on these BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK cartridges:

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/leid/media/Ammo/BHA205.56MM2077GR.20TMK_zpsbvcrailh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Ammo/BHA205.56MM2077GR.20TMK_zpsbvcrailh.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bfoosh06,
    I have never seen new factory BHA loads in Federal brass. Post a pic or give us the exact headstamp info when you can. The factory BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK loads I used were in "WCC 13 (+)"  NATO marked mil-spec brass. TIA.

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/leid/media/Ammo/BHA205.56MM2077GR.20TMK_zpsbvcrailh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Ammo/BHA205.56MM2077GR.20TMK_zpsbvcrailh.jpg</a>

While I don't have it in front of me.... The .223 Red Box 68gr Horn., 69gr Sierra, and I think the 75gr Horn  had FC Brass .... all recently ordered from MidwayUSA.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Muad,
    Due to shortages of WCC & LC mil-spec brass, BHA started using very high quality (expensive) RWS brass on some of their new loads to keep the machines running. This is confirmed info as I have seen 500 round cases marked "RWS/SIERRA" indicating RWS brass used with a 77GR. SMK OTM SIERRA bullet. But it was a BHA .223 pressure load, not the BHA 5.56MM pressure commercial MK 262 MOD 1 loading. The 500 round cases of BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK are marked "WCC/SIERRA" indicating use of WCC brass. 500 round cases of BHA commercial 5.56MM MK 262 MOD 1 using LC cases will be marked "LC/SIERRA".

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/leid/media/Ammo/RWS%20Brass%2077gr%20SMK%20.223_zps29qw3ido.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Ammo/RWS%20Brass%2077gr%20SMK%20.223_zps29qw3ido.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muad,

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/leid/media/Ammo/RWS%20Brass%2077gr%20SMK%20.223_zps29qw3ido.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Ammo/RWS%20Brass%2077gr%20SMK%20.223_zps29qw3ido.jpg</a>

I'll confirm this info. I had a couple boxes of the Black hills 77gr OTM using RWS brass. Velocities were 150 fps lower than IMI 77grain and CBC 77grain factory loads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I need to apologize , It was the .223 Red Box Black Hills that is using the FC brass....sorry I tested to many different rounds, and spoke out of context.

NOT the 5.56 loads. The Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK does indeed say ( NATO Cross ) WCC 14.

Again sorry for my big mouth. ( Still let down by the FC brass in the .223 though )

Anyone have a photo of the RWS brass load headstamp ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll confirm this info. I had a couple boxes of the Black hills 77gr OTM using RWS brass. Velocities were 150 fps lower than IMI 77grain and CBC 77grain factory loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muad,

Lennyo3034,
    Just to keep it  "apple compared to apple", was the BHA 77gr. OTM  load you chrono'd a 5.56MM pressure load in RWS brass or the BHA .223 pressure load in RWS brass? TIA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Getting ready to roll some of these and was curious about your RE15 results with the 77TMK's. It seems like Varget is really packed in there, wondering about pressure issues and wheter or not RE15 would be a better choice.

Quoted:
Whew, I just loaded two 10 round batches of the 77 TMK.  I had some die adjustments to make so I wasted 5 bullets.  Sort of, I'll still shoot them.  I used the same setting on my seater that I used on the Nosler 77 grain and found that it was leaving a pressure ring on the bullet.  It took me 5 rounds to adjust until the ring was not there.  I ended with one batch with 24.5 grains of Varget seated to 2.250 and one batch with 24 grains also seated to 2.250.  I ended up using my Redding seater.  For these rounds I'm using Lake City, sized and trimmed and weighed.  Tomorrow I'll use RE-15 with the same formula I used with the Nosler bullet. and one batch with a .5 lighter load.  I plan to use Range 3 at Ft. Huachuca to test but it may not be for 2 weeks as I'm sponsoring Mas Ayoob next weekend and we will be going through a week of Masamania.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
'15 gets packed in pretty well to get similar velocities to the non-tipped versions.

frankly, i'm not really sure i'm going to do any further trials with these.  Never in stock anywhere, and if i'm completely honest the 75 hornady is less expensive (half the price if you buy in 500-piece lots) and has a better BC than the standard SMK.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm looking for a round to use for SD and the occasional coyote out of my 16" barrel. I dont think that backing off the load a bit will be that detrimental.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Perhaps tac or ar-comp?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Getting ready to roll some of these and was curious about your RE15 results with the 77TMK's. It seems like Varget is really packed in there, wondering about pressure issues and wheter or not RE15 would be a better choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen any pressure issues in several years of loading either Sierra or Nosler 77 grain bullets.  But I love experimenting and will continue trying different everything.  I just got 500 rounds of the Sierra tipped bullet from Midway so I will experiment with Vit powders.  Both Snipers Hide and National Match sites have some darn good information on loads.  Actually both Varget and RE15 seem to be standard among National Match and Service rifle shooters.  But, things change as new things come out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been doing some tests with it lately and have a thread on it HERE

Last night I loaded 15 rounds of TMK and 15 rounds of SMK using the same load (they both prefer 22.6 grains of 8208) and will compare the two today. So far SMK seems to be more consistently accurate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone tested at 600 or 1000 yards yet?

I'm shooting some 75 grain Hornadys (original T1 profile) at 2850 and 2900 fps using CFE223 tomorrow.

Will report soon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like .395 BC (G1 scale) of T1 75 Hornady was optomistic.  Shoots about 1 MOA lower than 77 OTM at 1000.  So G7 in the .190 range.  Still a useful bullet and at enhanced velocity it frags in real world coyote shots out to 200 yds.  Looks like you need Mach 1.2 or so at 1000 yd line to avoid sudden loss of velocity from higher drag and just no way to get that done from a 556 x 45 in magazine length ctg.  It will hold nearly MOA at 800 though.  (10 inch groups including wind and flyers).  And this with a tactical rather than target scope and +60 year old eye sight.  Near max load of CFE223, WW brass and primer, neck sized and trimmed brass only.  See new Hornady manual for NATO pressure target loads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Never mind, I get it now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like .395 BC (G1 scale) of T1 75 Hornady was optomistic.  Shoots about 1 MOA lower than 77 OTM at 1000.  So G7 in the .190 range.  Still a useful bullet and at enhanced velocity it frags in real world coyote shots out to 200 yds.  Looks like you need Mach 1.2 or so at 1000 yd line to avoid sudden loss of velocity from higher drag and just no way to get that done from a 556 x 45 in magazine length ctg.  It will hold nearly MOA at 800 though.  (10 inch groups including wind and flyers).  And this with a tactical rather than target scope and +60 year old eye sight.  Near max load of CFE223, WW brass and primer, neck sized and trimmed brass only.  See new Hornady manual for NATO pressure target loads.
View Quote

Nice info, thanks. I'd really like to see how the TMK stacks up. I may go out to 500 yards in a few weeks, but not sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:00:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Can someone please advise on the minimum expansion velocity for the 77 TMK? I just got a Noveske 12.5" CHF barrel and want to calc the effective range with this round.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Page 1.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Can someone please advise on the minimum expansion velocity for the 77 TMK? I just got a Noveske 12.5" CHF barrel and want to calc the effective range with this round.
View Quote
Quote taken from one of qwerty4s posts on page 5:

"Jeff said that it would fragment down to 1900 fps or lower."

ETA: Err, never mind. Reading comprehension fail. My apologizes.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Page 1.
View Quote

Wow. I just went back and read the first page 3 times and was about to call you a liar when I finally saw. Guess it's time to get a new reader prescription.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gel tests at 1900 fps were impressive and something many rounds would have trouble matching. It would likely fragment even lower, which is unusual compared to its competitors. It's a great round and has overtaken the 5.56 75gr tap load as my primary home defense load.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The gel tests at 1900 fps were impressive and something many rounds would have trouble matching. It would likely fragment even lower, which is unusual compared to its competitors. It's a great round and has overtaken the 5.56 75gr tap load as my primary home defense load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any chance you can post some pictures of the gel blocks?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Does the TMK stabilize in a 1:8 twist 20 inch barrel?  

Anyone tried it yet?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Does the TMK stabilize in a 1:8 twist 20 inch barrel?  

Anyone tried it yet?
View Quote

easily

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you share a link to the gel test? I just ordered some of these from Old Virginia and was told its a impressively devastating round on hogs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Can you share a link to the gel test? I just ordered some of these from Old Virginia and was told its a impressively devastating round on hogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK has now proven to be an extremely useful load but it would not be my first choice for shooting hogs. The TMK would probably work most of the time but stacking the odds in your favor with a homogenous or bonded .223/5.56MM bullet is the way to go on hogs. Jeff Hoffman, known as "sierraeight" on this board, shared his opinion on the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK load as it related to shooting hogs way back on page 2 of this thread (quoted below). I have been shooting hogs since the '60s. In that time, I have had several bullets/broadheads deflect off of/fail to penetrate the shoulder plate of even medium size hogs at very close quarters. Talk about a circus! Hogs are tough critters so using .223/5.56MM loads that are proven tough on hogs would be wise planning. So is remaining aware of the nearest sturdy tree when hunting them up close. .02

"All,
I should have identified myself clearly, As noted I am with Black Hills Ammo. The 2750 fps is from a 20" barrel. Standard velocity measurement for 556 is from a 20" unless otherwise noted. I have never hunted hogs, but from what I understand penetration can be an issue since they have tough shoulder plates. If I were going hog hunting, I think the 62 TSX might be a better choice. Jeff Hoffman, Black Hills Ammunition "
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I would like to follow up on the 70gr 5.56 pressure GMX, which Sierraeight says will be sealed at both ends. I have not seen any, yet. Not being pushy, just wondering when we will?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I won't be using these on hogs, just curious how it reacts with them from a HD/SD perspective, which is why I was asking for a link to the 1900 fps gel test.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Can a Mod move this to reloading.

Moved
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1920fps and
still a large temporary and permanent cavity, penetration, and around 60% fragmentation.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the pics! Just ordered some from Old Virginia and can't wait to play with it
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top