Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12_Guage

We have so far made only pre-production runs of the 556 70 GMX. As soon as production quantities of bullets show up we will make the first production run. I expect that to happen within next two weeks.All production runs will be marked "Water Resistant" on the individual box label. Why resistant not waterproof? Because there is no such thing as unbreakable. Anything can be defeated and I did not want to throw out that challenge to this group. This is the same method used on our military ammunition.
The other bullet types ,5.56mm 50 TSX and 62 TSX ,will start being made with neck sealant with the next production runs, with the boxes marked in the same manner.
Jeff
View Quote

Just curious if the 77 grain TMK's will be manufactured to be water resistant, or do they need to be?  Do they suffer from the same issue as those above?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you folks buying your TMK and/or Black Hills ammo?

Neither available around central Oregon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Second to last post on page 3 ;)
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Triad Tactical has some as does Able Ammo and Cabelas.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll go ahead and add my test, though it's not professional, like the ones posted earlier in the thread.

Link

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and add my test, though it's not professional, like the ones posted earlier in the thread.

Link

https://youtu.be/qXBU03vdr2Q
View Quote

As always thank you for sharing BlueFalcon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I've spent so much time watching tests on handgun ammo, that I've lost my expected outcomes for .223/5.56.

Retained weight seems to be at about 50% and it's acting a lot like a varmint round, having its biggest effect at a shallow depth with just the core continuing on to an acceptable ending depth.

What have I forgotten, or what am I missing?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think I've spent so much time watching tests on handgun ammo, that I've lost my expected outcomes for .223/5.56.

Retained weight seems to be at about 50% and it's acting a lot like a varmint round, having its biggest effect at a shallow depth with just the core continuing on to an acceptable ending depth.

View Quote

a short neck w/early fragmentation is a good thing

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be shooting the 77gr TMK in a highpower 3x600 next weekend. But from a 16" barrel. lol wish me luck. Seems like I'll need somewhere around 13-14 minutes of come-up—maybe more (50-yard zero).
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link

https://youtu.be/qXBU03vdr2Q
View Quote

Very nice, thank you.  Midwayusa.com has the bullets on sale.  A bought   a    few.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Best of both worlds, quick energy dump and frag followed by a mushroomed slug that penetrates deep.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Anyone have a difference in Dope comparison (Actual and Calculated) from Black Hills 5.56 77SMK compared to the New TMK Load??

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Now if someone would just carry these....
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well it has better BC than 75 or 77 OTM so it can be used over 300 yards in wind effectively, by in wind effectively I mean 100% hits, in gusing wind, on 6" targets. I think you missed the part where the gel pic was 315 yards, or the fact the core is expanded to .40, or the fact it does almost the same thing from 1 yard to 315+.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:...I think you missed the part where the gel pic was 315 yards...
View Quote

I missed that as well. Is that from one of the links in the thread; because I'm not finding it either...?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I find that living in Rapid City, South Dakota has few advantages over most other places. One of them is that Black Hills Ammunition is in town, and all the local stores carry it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I missed that as well. Is that from one of the links in the thread; because I'm not finding it either...?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77025

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77024

I posted the pics - these were done by the manufacturer to simulate a shot at 315 yards say from a standard length barrel or from close range out of an sbr. The picture above is a 1900fps impact  

If you think about the potential of this round (either the ability to still be devastating from an sbr or at long range from a 16" barrel), this round is a serious contender.

Watch blue falcon's video. The sbr shot is plenty devastating.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Just thought I'd add my very non-scientific test. I bought a big ghetto 6-7lb pork shoulder, and placed it on a cinder block about 25m away and blasted it with 77tmk from my 12.5. I placed it lengthwise so the round would have a lot of depth to work with. The round pretty much blew bacon sized strips all around a 15m radius of the shoulder like confetti, half the pieces landed closer to me than the target! I know it's not scientific, but it was enough to convince me that the 77tmk will seriously mess up the day of any medium-sized game/threat you hit at a reasonable distance.

The only downside is that it was so effective, there was nothing left for a second shot!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
When is more comimg?  Can't find any anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Just thought I'd add my very non-scientific test. I bought a big ghetto 6-7lb pork shoulder, and placed it on a cinder block about 25m away and blasted it with 77tmk from my 12.5. I placed it lengthwise so the round would have a lot of depth to work with. The round pretty much blew bacon sized strips all around a 15m radius of the shoulder like confetti, half the pieces landed closer to me than the target! I know it's not scientific, but it was enough to convince me that the 77tmk will seriously mess up the day of any medium-sized game/threat you hit at a reasonable distance.

The only downside is that it was so effective, there was nothing left for a second shot!
View Quote

Tell me you took pictures and just forgot to post them..
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Ha I thought there'd be something left to take pictures of! Picture one would be a huge 7 pound pork shoulder, pictures 2+ would be assorted small porkchops and bacon strips thrown randomly throughout a field! I know it wasn't very scientific but it was enough to convince me that a 77tmk will basically turn a football sized chunk of your target into high velocity projectile hamburger meat. Given its FPS requirements it seems it can do it a good 300+m out depending on barrel length. I think it'll be my new official hunting/home defense round given our coyotes and typically smaller deer out here. Hopefully it doesn't ruin too much meat though!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Bought a box yesterday at local gun shop, cost some serious coin, has anyone shot these out of a 10.3, 1-7twist barrel using a suppressor?  Any feedback would be much appreciated, just want to make sure there stable enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't see why it would be any different than any other 77gr from a SBR 1/7 in terms of stability. People have been shooting 77s from suppressed Mk18s for quite some time on both the civilian and .mil side. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You have my attention.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I dumped a very nice razorback boar this morning at 50yds. with the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK fired from a suppressed 10" M4. The TMK took him in the kill zone right behind the shoulder. The next loads in the mag were 5.56MM 70GR. TSX just in case the TMK failed but none were required. And the little TMK held together well enough to yield an exit wound. I will post pics of the wounds when I get back.

Edit: Just finished up. I did find a piece of copper jacket in what was left of the vitals indicating the TMK expanded then fragmented as expected. The entrance and exit wounds look very similar to those on the whitetail. I agree with Jeff Hoffman that the TSX is a much better bullet for hogs. But the TMK has now proven capable, if needed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I dumped a very nice razorback boar this morning at 50yds. with the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK fired from a suppressed 10" M4. The TMK took him in the kill zone right behind the shoulder. The next loads in the mag were 5.56MM 70GR. TSX just in case the TMK failed but none were not required. And the little TMK held together well enough to yield an exit wound. I will post pics of the wounds when I get back.
View Quote

Nice work leid!

The TMK is proving to be a great projectile for hunting applications, which is what I suspected from the beginning.

Standing by the pics.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#28]
OK. All (4) pics are up showing terminal performance of the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK fired from a 10.0" M4 with M4 can on a very tough flesh & bone target at 50yds.

Razorback boar:

Entrance Wound:

Internal Damage: The 77GR. TMK hit dead center on ribs entering the chest cavity and exiting the chest cavity.

Exit Wound: I should have put a finger next to the wound for scale. It is approx. 2" in diameter. And the large hematoma surrounding the exit wound indicates the 77GR. TMK still had a good level of energy for a 5.56MM when it punched thru the rib on the off-side of the chest cavity and exited.  HTH

Chalk up another one to the 10" truck gun. With proper ammo, it has been a very effective tool for SD/HD/dealing with poachers and trespassers/game control/general hunting. For those using a 16" M4, the 5.56MM TMK load would be approx. 361 FPS faster than it was in this 10" (2705 FPS VS 2344 FPS):

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks like the entrance wound was centered on the 3rd rib and the exit wound centered on the 4th rib (as counted from what's visible in your pictures - I'm not really well trained on hog anatomy ).  Entering through a rib is not the most ideal entrance, and yet the bullet retained enough mass to penetrate another rib.  That's impressive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm very impressed, looks like I'll be trying my TMK out this season. Thanks for posting the photos Leid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#31]
saw a video on youtube where the 77gr TMK was going through sheet metal and drywall and still fragmenting properly in gel
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]
If I can't get my SCAR 17 off the ground in time I'm thinking this will be my deer round next month. Every indicator shows it to be devastating. Would there be appreciable meat loss due to its fragmentation if going with a heart/lung shot? Would a neck shot be preferable with this round, as opposed to an expanding type bullet like TSX, or am I making mountains of molehills?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#33]
So these should be suitable for white tail deer?  I just picked up a box to load up yesterday, I've always liked the 77gr matchkings.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So these should be suitable for white tail deer?  I just picked up a box to load up yesterday, I've always liked the 77gr matchkings.
View Quote

LEID took two whitetail last season, IIRC, and the TMKs worked well from what I remember him saying (you can find his comments earlier in this thread).

I took some TMKs to WV to try and take a deer last year, but never saw one to shoot at.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the TMKs this season or not, as I have a .277WLV upper in that I'm testing and plan to use instead.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Fucking Hornady's got me wondering now if the tip on the TMK melts and flattens at distance and lowers the BC.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I think Hornady's problem was related to the material the tips were made of.  I don't see any indication Sierra had problems like this - but I certainly don't have an inside scoop from Sierra, so if someone has solid information on this I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeppers.... Speed goat at 500 yards. Enjoy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1800986_Dinner_Pic_____WIfe_took_an_antelope_Pics_of_Wife_____1111_____Edit_More_pics_in_OP___.html

Excellent! By the end of this hunting season, I think we will know quite a bit more about TMK bullet terminal performance on flesh & bone targets.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Chalk up another one to the 10" truck gun. With proper ammo, it has been a very effective tool for SD/HD/dealing with poachers and trespassers/game control/general hunting. For those using a 16" M4, the 5.56MM TMK load would be approx. 361 FPS faster than it was in this 10" (2705 FPS VS 2344 FPS):

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/leid/media/M16/30be3b61-b54e-4a08-8e54-0e679ad286f7_zps47b72e22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/M16/30be3b61-b54e-4a08-8e54-0e679ad286f7_zps47b72e22.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your "truck gun" is a full auto?  I must be doing something wrong.  

Impressive results on the hog.  I bought 500 rounds of this ammo to try but haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet.  Appears to be a good round based on what I've read here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#40]
tag...
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#41]
This may be a dumb question, as I see the results on deer/hog sized game are good, but has anyone shot these on smaller varmints like coyotes, groundhogs/rockchucks, or prairie dogs? I'm wondering if they are "explosive" enough to work on the smaller critters, while retaining enough penetration for the bigger game. Looking at the ballistics gel tests, it seems the neck is pretty short, which might be okay on the larger varmints, but not so great on the smaller ones. Leaning to the 69gr version, but could use 77's...

Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This may be a dumb question, as I see the results on deer/hog sized game are good, but has anyone shot these on smaller varmints like coyotes, groundhogs/rockchucks, or prairie dogs? I'm wondering if they are "explosive" enough to work on the smaller critters, while retaining enough penetration for the bigger game. Looking at the ballistics gel tests, it seems the neck is pretty short, which might be okay on the larger varmints, but not so great on the smaller ones. Leaning to the 69gr version, but could use 77's...
Anyone?
View Quote

Sierra actually only recommends using the TMKs on varmint sized game. However, real world results have shown they are great on mid-sized game as well.

I've taken two whistle pigs with the TMK. One at 401 yards (did not recover), and another at about 50-60 yards. It was plenty for both. Not as explosive as say a 55gr V-max or BlitzKing (the latter I've used on prairie dogs past 350 yards), but it gets the job done well. I was hoping to use the 77gr TMK on prairie dogs in AZ this year, but I ended up not being able to go on that hunting trip. I was hoping to get some real long range hits in beyond 400 yards.

ETA: Actually, I think I may have taken one or two more with the TMK. I'll have to dig through my files for 2015.
Here is the one at 50-60 yards:

Exit wound:

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Anyone?
View Quote

Shot a buzzard with a 77gr TMK handload this past weekend at about 70 yards..  It made an impressive hole.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Shot a buzzard with a 77gr TMK handload this past weekend at about 70 yards..  It made an impressive hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone?

Legality?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sierra actually only recommends using the TMKs on varmint sized game. However, real world results have shown they are great on mid-sized game as well.

I've taken two whistle pigs with the TMK. One at 401 yards (did not recover), and another at about 50-60 yards. It was plenty for both. Not as explosive as say a 55gr V-max or BlitzKing (the latter I've used on prairie dogs past 350 yards), but it gets the job done well. I was hoping to use the 77gr TMK on prairie dogs in AZ this year, but I ended up not being able to go on that hunting trip. I was hoping to get some real long range hits in beyond 400 yards.

ETA: Actually, I think I may have taken one or two more with the TMK. I'll have to dig through my files for 2015.

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AR15-Hunter-BH-77gr-TMK-groundhog-kill-1.jpg

Exit wound:

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AR15-Hunter-BH-77gr-TMK-groundhog-kill-2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone?

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AR15-Hunter-BH-77gr-TMK-groundhog-kill-1.jpg

Exit wound:

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AR15-Hunter-BH-77gr-TMK-groundhog-kill-2.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Lots of good options out there for .224" bullets these days. Makes it hard to pick one.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.

Lots of good options out there for .224" bullets these days. Makes it hard to pick one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone?

Exit wound:

Thanks for the reply.

My favorite ammo for varmints uses 55gr BlitzKings, which I've taken a ton of ground hogs and prairie dogs with. It gets the job done every time, and the load I use (ADI / Australian Outback Ammo) is the most accurate factory loaded ammo I've used to date.

I like the idea of the TMKs for longer range varmint hunting, and/or use on larger game.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

My favorite ammo for varmints uses 55gr BlitzKings, which I've taken a ton of ground hogs and prairie dogs with. It gets the job done every time, and the load I use (ADI / Australian Outback Ammo) is the most accurate factory loaded ammo I've used to date.

I like the idea of the TMKs for longer range varmint hunting, and/or use on larger game.
View Quote

My favorite has been a 60gr V-max pushed pretty hard with AA2230 or TAC... 5.56 velocities. Very explosive even at 400+ yards, but I get pretty good accuracy (1 MOA or less, generally). Down side is that it's not really a long range bullet, being flat based. Most of my shooting is under 500 yards though. I have tried the 60gr Nosler BT, and was not impressed with it's fragmentation... or rather, the lack thereof. Accuracy was about on par with the V-max though. I'm thinking really hard about trying the 69gr TMK for varmints in the spring. Lighter weight should keep velocities up and help increase fragmentation at the ranges I expect.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My favorite has been a 60gr V-max pushed pretty hard with AA2230 or TAC... 5.56 velocities. Very explosive even at 400+ yards, but I get pretty good accuracy (1 MOA or less, generally). Down side is that it's not really a long range bullet, being flat based. Most of my shooting is under 500 yards though. I have tried the 60gr Nosler BT, and was not impressed with it's fragmentation... or rather, the lack thereof. Accuracy was about on par with the V-max though. I'm thinking really hard about trying the 69gr TMK for varmints in the spring. Lighter weight should keep velocities up and help increase fragmentation at the ranges I expect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet they'd do well. At some point I plan to test some 69gr TMKs. If you do end up loading some up, please share your results.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone compared the come ups at 1,000 yards to Mk262 yet?

Ive got reliable dope for the MK, but never tried the TMK.  

Actual 1,000 yard DOPE for 77 grain CBC ammo from 20 inch barrel at 50 degrees F. 2834 fps average.

100 yards 0.0
200 1.25
300 3.25
400 6.0 – 7.0
500 9.75
600 12.5 – 13.0
700 No hits
800 23.0
900 30.25
1,000 37.0

2 MOA cross wind. 19 inch vertical x 12 inch horizontal for six shots at 1,000. 1.55 MOA average. Ive captured four good groups at 1000 now and the average is about 1.6 MOA vertical and 0.9 horizontal. 6-10 shot groups.

Test results closely match the JBM prediction using G7 (Litz) of .190 and 2.75 inch scope height at my altitude. My range card was for this summers average of 2870 fps at 85 degrees F. I was running low at 600 so I switched to a range card I had made for 2850 at 65 degrees F and that worked OK out to 1,000. I measured center of groups above or below center of gongs and came up with the fairly precise results shown.

Changing the temperature from 65 degrees to 50 F actual made 1 MOA difference at 1,000 yards and brought dope within 1/2 MOA or less!

Targets were 12-16 inch plates at 100-700 and 24 inches square at 800-1000.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top