Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2014 12:48:26 AM EDT
After reading the Self Defense Article FAQ, it seems that barrier blind ammunition is better than fragmenting OTM rounds for self defense inside the home.  However, it seems that the Nosler 64 grain bonded ammo does not have a crimped primer nor mouth sealant.  

I can get the Nosler 64 Gr bonded SP for about 10 cents per round cheaper than the IMI 5.56 77gr OTM RAZOR CORE though I am not sure if not having a crimped primer and no mouth sealant is a big deal?

Also, the version of the of the 64 Gr bonded soft point with the crimped primer and  mouth sealant would be the Bonded Winchester Ranger 64GR JSP Ammo RA556B but is a bit out of the my price range as it is basically double the cost of the Nosler brand.  

The ammo I use to practice with mostly is 55 gr Wolf/Federal XM193 and I am currently zeroed with that ammunition.

With either a 14.5" (w/permanently attached muzzle device) or 16" AR inside your standard home, what would you choose?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is some of the Winchester Q3313 64gr. BSB for sale on gunbroker a bit cheaper than SGammo.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438679802
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Just an FYI.... Midway has the Nosler 64gr on clearance right now for the cheapest I have ever seen.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/788183/nosler-defense-ammunition-223-remington-64-grain-bonded-solid-base-soft-point-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Both of your choices are GTG... buy and keep a magazine of both readily available. I keep them in different mags so I can't confuse them.... 20 rd Lancer clear vs. 20 rd USGI .... the smaller mags are easier to move with for me.

BE ADVISED.... that those two rounds will have dramatically different impact points on target at 100 yards ! Even showing up at closer ranges.

MAKE SURE to test out both and see where they are impacting on target.... that way you can adjust hold over for one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
decent prices thanks bfoosh06!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is some of the Winchester Q3313 64gr. BSB for sale on gunbroker a bit cheaper than SGammo.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438679802
View Quote

$1+ per round, WTF? I bought 2k rounds of that at .35 a round a couple years ago. Makes me feel bad for bump firing it into a hill now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You won't need a crimped primer or sealant.  I'm shooting ammo +50 years old and it still works fine.  I have shot 20-30 year old ammo that was submerged for a few hours during a hurricane.  There have been a lot of tests on subermed ammo in various liquids and it doesn't matter.  I would only worry about sealant if you were gonna go deep diving with the stuff.

If you are really worried about it, you can always buy sealant, they sell it on midway, and seal whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just an FYI.... Midway has the Nosler 64gr on clearance right now for the cheapest I have ever seen.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/788183/nosler-defense-ammunition-223-remington-64-grain-bonded-solid-base-soft-point-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Both of your choices are GTG... buy and keep a magazine of both readily available. I keep them in different mags so I can't confuse them.... 20 rd Lancer clear vs. 20 rd USGI .... the smaller mags are easier to move with for me.

BE ADVISED.... that those two rounds will have dramatically different impact points on target at 100 yards ! Even showing up at closer ranges.

MAKE SURE to test out both and see where they are impacting on target.... that way you can adjust hold over for one or the other.
View Quote

Thanx...I just bought several boxes.  According to Midway it is a clearance sale.  Whether that means it is being discontinued or Midway just wants to get rid of it....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
After buying it 20 boxes of the Nosler Defense 64 grain from midwayusa.com, and now I just bump in to this thread. I will be testing it out at 50 yards when it arrives and report back. My M&P15 t is zero with the x193 at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I reload the nosler to RA556 B velocity (a bit more actually).  Even at 2750 fps (16 inch barrel I think) the SAMMI pressure nosler ammo is way more sophisticated for self defense than a long range target bullet like the 77 grain.  A 20 inch barrel would help the 77 grain fragment.  They do well on coyotes from my 20 inch gun out to 150 - 200 yards depending on velocity I load them at (2800 - 2850 fps possible with BLC-2 and CFE223)

For home defense which includes ability to shoot through most common barricades, I would want the Nosler, esp at $13 a box!

Stockup and zero your rifle with it.  They find cheaper ammo that shoots close to its point of aim.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anybody chrono'd the Nosler Defense .223 round out of a 16 inch barrel? I've read that someone at Nosler stated the 2750 fps velocity on the box is out of a 24 inch test barrel. I've sent messages to Nosler both about the velocity and any ballistic gel testing they've done at .223 velocity with that bullet and can't get a response.

I bought as much as I could afford of the Nosler round when I saw it was on clearance at Midway. If I can't get any good info about it, I may see if I can find someone who'll do a favorable trade for another good barrier-blind round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anybody chrono'd the Nosler Defense .223 round out of a 16 inch barrel? I've read that someone at Nosler stated the 2750 fps velocity on the box is out of a 24 inch test barrel. I've sent messages to Nosler both about the velocity and any ballistic gel testing they've done at .223 velocity with that bullet and can't get a response.

I bought as much as I could afford of the Nosler round when I saw it was on clearance at Midway. If I can't get any good info about it, I may see if I can find someone who'll do a favorable trade for another good barrier-blind round.
View Quote

Hopefully ... I will this weekend... 14.5", 16", ( middies ) and 20"

as long as the little woman doesn't want to re-stain the deck... Lol

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After reading the Self Defense Article FAQ, it seems that barrier blind ammunition is better than fragmenting OTM rounds for self defense inside the home.  However, it seems that the Nosler 64 grain bonded ammo does not have a crimped primer nor mouth sealant.  

I can get the Nosler 64 Gr bonded SP for about 10 cents per round cheaper than the IMI 5.56 77gr OTM RAZOR CORE though I am not sure if not having a crimped primer and no mouth sealant is a big deal?

Also, the version of the of the 64 Gr bonded soft point with the crimped primer and  mouth sealant would be the Bonded Winchester Ranger 64GR JSP Ammo RA556B but is a bit out of the my price range as it is basically double the cost of the Nosler brand.  

The ammo I use to practice with mostly is 55 gr Wolf/Federal XM193 and I am currently zeroed with that ammunition.

With either a 14.5" (w/permanently attached muzzle device) or 16" AR inside your standard home, what would you choose?
View Quote

why bother with bonded ammo at all I have taken many MANY deer with my 16" carbine, I learned that soft tip 68 grain ammo drops them hardest.  I HPrecommend you look at soft tip expanding ammo and skip the bonded ammo unless you are looking for auto glass penetration. the non expanding ammo I have used often takes multiple hits to put down a deer for good.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

that idea is an excellent point. in fact i learned in long ago from watching the 2nd Die Hard movie...but i digress...

so what i do is use colored electrical tape around the base and/or on the bottom plate....green for barrier ammo, red for heavy OTM, no tape for standard m193.

i too keep a couple loaded mags of each, ya just never know what kinda p[arty its going to be but i keep the rifle loaded with hornady 55gr GMX barrier rounds, thats my flavor of the day for barrier blind ammo in teh 16's but in the 20" i keep 75 gr TAP T2.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

why bother with bonded ammo at all I have taken many MANY deer with my 16" carbine, I learned that soft tip 68 grain ammo drops them hardest.  I HPrecommend you look at soft tip expanding ammo and skip the bonded ammo unless you are looking for auto glass penetration. the non expanding ammo I have used often takes multiple hits to put down a deer for good.

View Quote

The bonded round to which he is referring is indeed an expanding soft-tip round, as are all the other popular barrier-blind bonded rounds that I'm aware of (other than the copper TSX and GMX). Why would he skip the loads that have the most reliable expansion and penetration in a wide variety of circumstances under which less well-designed bullets would fail?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That doesn't make a lot of sense. You purchased a ~$1000 gun for self defense, likely only need 30 rounds for home defense use, and you're going to buy a lower quality, non-bonded round to save like 5 dollars?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#15]
He should have taken his 5 bucks he saved, and bought some grammar.  If he had any left over, he might have even been able to get some punctuation too!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]

well the sale is anyway
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Luckily I ordered 10 boxes while it was on sale. Last Sunday I went to shoot it ant 100 yards using my Eotech, got decent groupings and similar to the Fusion MSR. Those who have a scope with magnification can really test it well. I don't have any gel blocks or anything to test expansion. I'm hoping someone can test this ammo ballistics really soon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any update or did the woman make you restain the deck?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I've reloaded the nosler 64gr bullet to 2900+fps out of a 20" barrel. LC NATO brass, cci 400 primer, 25.1gr Varget.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top