Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
Just thought I post that I expanded about +/- 220 more rounds of the 55 grain made in Taiwan Wolf Gold .223. Fired flawlessly no issues at all. due to my limited experience with AR 15's I'm not really sure how to judge this ammo for how clean or dirty it burns, but my BCG, chamber and so on while dirty, did not seam all that bad. I also had zero built up carbon deposits on my BCG, bolt face or chamber face. Am still in process of learning how to shoot well with AR 15 type post and peep sights but was averaging 3-3.5" 10 shot 100 yard groups.

Plan on upgraeding to a Geissele SSA-E trigger soon, so I have been saving all my targets for a before and after trigger upgrade to show (I hope) a dramatic accuracy improvement. I have always been quite good with regular irons in the past, so I'm quite interested to see what I can do once I upgrade to the Giessele. Ive put about 350 rounds of the M-I-T Wolf Gold and it has functioned perfectly. Seams pretty consistent as far as pressure is concerned because all I have to do is stand it's lid up in my rubber made container and place it in the right spot and every piece of ejected brass lands nicely in it when shooting from the bench. While standing and firing while in the grass at my range all my spent cases land in a area less than 2 feet square. I leaned quickly I'm better of firing 5-10 rounds at a time while standing than 1 or two, as 6,7,8 or 10 spent casing are much easier/quicker to find in the grass than 1 or 2.

I also got to shoot 60 rounds of mixed type Wolf poly coated steel cased ammo. Fed/Fired flawlessly. Mixed it in with my Wolf gold and at 150, 100 and 50 yards could consistently hit the 12"x 18" hanging steel plates at my range firing off hand with no sling. So I guess it's safe to say Wolf steel cased ammo is "minuet of man" out to at least 150 yards.

Can still get 1000 rounds for $309 so I'm going to keep ordering the Wolf Gold. seeing as standard steel cased wold ammo is $230 for 1000, I figure for $80 bucks more I get a large quantity of good quality relaodable brass, that I'm going to have to buy anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Wolf Gold as well.  You can buy sight posts from KNS that are much more precise if you would like to stay with irons.  Since you're shooting so well already, I think your best chance of improvement would be a magnified optic if shooting better groups is your goal.

I have an SSA-E and it is great, but my biggest accuracy improvement came with getting a 1-4x scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just thought I post that I expanded about +/- 220 more rounds of the 55 grain made in Taiwan Wolf Gold .223. Fired flawlessly no issues at all. due to my limited experience with AR 15's I'm not really sure how to judge this ammo for how clean or dirty it burns, but my BCG, chamber and so on while dirty, did not seam all that bad. I also had zero built up carbon deposits on my BCG, bolt face or chamber face. Am still in process of learning how to shoot well with AR 15 type post and peep sights but was averaging 3-3.5" 10 shot 100 yard groups.

Plan on upgraeding to a Geissele SSA-E trigger soon, so I have been saving all my targets for a before and after trigger upgrade to show (I hope) a dramatic accuracy improvement. I have always been quite good with regular irons in the past, so I'm quite interested to see what I can do once I upgrade to the Giessele. Ive put about 350 rounds of the M-I-T Wolf Gold and it has functioned perfectly. Seams pretty consistent as far as pressure is concerned because all I have to do is stand it's lid up in my rubber made container and place it in the right spot and every piece of ejected brass lands nicely in it when shooting from the bench. While standing and firing while in the grass at my range all my spent cases land in a area less than 2 feet square. I leaned quickly I'm better of firing 5-10 rounds at a time while standing than 1 or two, as 6,7,8 or 10 spent casing are much easier/quicker to find in the grass than 1 or 2.

I also got to shoot 60 rounds of mixed type Wolf poly coated steel cased ammo. Fed/Fired flawlessly. Mixed it in with my Wolf gold and at 150, 100 and 50 yards could consistently hit the 12"x 18" hanging steel plates at my range firing off hand with no sling. So I guess it's safe to say Wolf steel cased ammo is "minuet of man" out to at least 150 yards.

Can still get 1000 rounds for $309 so I'm going to keep ordering the Wolf Gold. seeing as standard steel cased wold ammo is $230 for 1000, I figure for $80 bucks more I get a large quantity of good quality relaodable brass, that I'm going to have to buy anyhow.
View Quote

Is that delivered? Because I can get 1,000 ZQI at Wal-Mart for $333.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Been shooting Wolf gold since it came out pretty good stuff. like you said,a lot cleaner than steel case.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top