Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 1:16:40 PM EDT
So apparently the 75 gr TAP is a mythical white unicorn to find.  I can find the 55 gr relatively easy and have two boxes loaded right now at home.  I have a choke point in a spiral staircase form the basement Point of entry the main level or a hall way from the upstairs main level to the bedrooms.  My house is almost all brick and stone and any shooing lanes are forward of the occupied rooms.  I have no kids and the dog sleeps in our room.

What I am asking is 55 gr the best all around indoor HD round  in this ammo or should I look for something like Gold Got or some other loading for HD/SD use?

I did a search here and with google and all the threads are archived and not really answering what I need to know.  I will be ordering about 10 boxes to have some to test  for poa/poi and load several mags.  

The gun will be a 10.5 pistol with a Rainier Arms Match barrel .223 Wylde and 1:8 twist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It will do the job. I use 55gr FMJBT so it's all about where I put the round at that matters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with something other than 55gr TAP, especially if you're not that worried about over penetration.   It's loaded with 55gr Vmax, which may underpenetrate, especially if it has to go through an outstretched arm.

I've been seeing Federal Fusion in stock. Gold dots, Barnes TSX, Mk262. I'd use any quality ammo loaded with heavy OTMs before 55gr TAP. I think it's a shame they market the Vmax for self defense, my department issues the stuff as duty ammo...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Barnes 55 gr. (or 62.gr) TSX bullets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go with something other than 55gr TAP, especially if you're not that worried about over penetration.   It's loaded with 55gr Vmax, which may underpenetrate, especially if it has to go through an outstretched arm.

I've been seeing Federal Fusion in stock. Gold dots, Barnes TSX, Mk262. I'd use any quality ammo loaded with heavy OTMs before 55gr TAP. I think it's a shame they market the Vmax for self defense, my department issues the stuff as duty ammo...
View Quote

You're talking about the same people who market the same bullet for zombie protection. Go figure.

The good news about the T2 TAP being hard to find is like mentioned above, there are other options out there. If you have to have it I can probably hook you up with some though.

EDIT: OP, PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
55gr TAP notoriously under penetrates.  Please read the FAQ on what rounds to select for defense for more info and other acceptable rounds.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys more I read about TAP  the more I am skeptical.

I'm open to suggestion and that Nosler defense stuff looks good.

Anybody else have any suggestions to try?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I should say this is the numero uno bullet according to Dr. Roberts. Not necessarily this loading from Nosler, but definitely the bullet itself.

You will not find it cheaper anywhere BTW.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Last year hornady announced they were stopping production on a big list of loadings. They needed the capacity to keep up with demand.

The t1 loaded 75gr .223 round was on the list.

The t2c loaded 75gr 5.56 has been a Leo only round from the get go. Has to be purchased on a department letterhead. The only stuff that makes it to "us" is grey market.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Last year hornady announced they were stopping production on a big list of loadings. They needed the capacity to keep up with demand.

The t2c loaded 75gr 5.56 has been a Leo only round from the get go. Has to be purchased on a department letterhead. The only stuff that makes it to "us" is grey market.
View Quote

A local gun store has 75gr T2c 5.56 NATO TAP on a regular basis and I buy it when I see it. Last time I was there, they had an entire shelf of boxes for retail. They have no such requirement. I have not heard of any restrictions. Not even when I buy it on line.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is good TAP and TAP labeled for marketing. The NATO pressure TAP ammo is good stuff for SD. The other TAP is good ammo, but might not be optimal for SD.

links to HornadyLE ammo specs and gel tests
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
i bought some TAP 75 gr T2 late in 2013 then it was gone, musta been a small run.

if you are a hornady fan, look into the 55gr GMX, just be careful to steer clear of the super performance flavor that is designed for 20" barrels and piston gun. it uses a special slow burning powder that doesnt work so will in carbine gas tubes.

there is quite a bit of the 55gr GMX around too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I should say this is the numero uno bullet according to Dr. Roberts. Not necessarily this loading from Nosler, but definitely the bullet itself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link? I want to read some of his stuff and googled it but didn't see this bullet on the stuff I read.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link? I want to read some of his stuff and googled it but didn't see this bullet on the stuff I read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is now a mod at pistol-forum.com.  Check out their ammo section for the stickies that used to be at M4carbine.net.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The key to the TAP stuff isn't whether you're getting .223 or 5.56, or T1 or T2, it's simply in the bullet weight/design. The ones that aren't 75gr bullets are polymer-tipped varmint loads.  All the 75gr varieties are 75gr BTHP.  Whether it's .223 or 5.56 or T1 or T2 really doesn't matter for SD purposes.  

The T2 has the same terminal ballistics as the T1 - the different ogive shape was made to promote better feeding in carbines with M4 feedramps, not to change the fragmentation or anything.
View Quote

thanks, that's good info to know. i was curious why the difference in olgiv shape.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to Dr. Roberts threads
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I started a thread about this very round on lightfighter. The man himself said this round uses the same bullet that is in one of his preferred barrier blind loads.

Although he is "just a dentist" lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The key to the TAP stuff isn't whether you're getting .223 or 5.56, or T1 or T2, it's simply in the bullet weight/design. The ones that aren't 75gr bullets are polymer-tipped varmint loads.  All the 75gr varieties are 75gr BTHP.  Whether it's .223 or 5.56 or T1 or T2 really doesn't matter for SD purposes.  

The T2 has the same terminal ballistics as the T1 - the different ogive shape was made to promote better feeding in carbines with M4 feedramps, not to change the fragmentation or anything.
View Quote

They list a 55gr barrier GMX on their website, that would be good in .223 or 5.56.  They also 62gr and 70gr barrier loads, I'm guessing those are also GMX bullets.  They are similar to Barnes TSX and would be good choices, though I haven't actually seen any Hornady TAP for sale loaded with GMX bullets.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They list a 55gr barrier GMX on their website, that would be good in .223 or 5.56.  They also 62gr and 70gr barrier loads, I'm guessing those are also GMX bullets.  They are similar to Barnes TSX and would be good choices, though I haven't actually seen any Hornady TAP for sale loaded with GMX bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only GMX copper solid bullets are 55 and 70 gr and I dont think hornady has produced any factory 70gr GMX yet. Lots of 55 out there though. The 62gr barrier rounds are a soft point like the gold dots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your welcome
View Quote

Holy crap.. thanks for that link.  great price for great ammo, I just ordered a pile.

OP, I too have moved away from TAP ammo.  Running the 70g barns tsx by SSA but I have not seen it on shelves in a long time.  Im switching over to the 62/64g bonded stuff, Fusion MSR and the Nosler defense, cant go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A local gun store has 75gr T2c 5.56 NATO TAP on a regular basis and I buy it when I see it. Last time I was there, they had an entire shelf of boxes for retail. They have no such requirement. I have not heard of any restrictions. Not even when I buy it on line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google dude, it being LEO only is all over the place. I said what gets out is grey market, and it's true. I never said its not for sale, just grey market. A distributor buys a pallet worth for a local department, department either doesn't buy it all or it's never bought at all. It then gets out to "us"

A shop in my old town came into a boat load of the big boxes of 9mm gold dots the same way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Google dude, it being LEO only is all over the place. I said what gets out is grey market, and it's true. I never said its not for sale, just grey market. A distributor buys a pallet worth for a local department, department either doesn't buy it all or it's never bought at all. It then gets out to "us"

A shop in my old town came into a boat load of the big boxes of 9mm gold dots the same way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there are no legal restrictions, there are no restrictions. Reality of capitalism. I wasn't trying to rile you up. I was just stating that it is available.

back on topic: the 75gr TAP is what I would suggest. T2 over T1, but for HD either would do. I keep a few mags of T2 TAP and MK262 handy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought 100 rounds of 75 gr TAP for $12.99 a box

I still want to try the Nosler also an may buy some of it too.  I want to see which is most accurate.  

My question is this. I plan on loading it in my 10.5" pistol mainly for HD use.  Should I load something lighter like the Nosler or I've also been looking at the Federal T223A in 55 gr

Would the lighter bullet be better to keep the velocity up?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I no longer buy / use the frag dependent loads MK262 / 75gr.
Although I have  several 50rd boxes left.

Most of us moved to the barrier blind loads. 5.56mm and 223rem pressure.

I`m still using the Black Hills 5.56mm 50gr TSX in 14.5 barrel carbines for HD and SD
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I still want to try the Nosler also an may buy some of it too.  I want to see which is most accurate.  

My question is this. I plan on loading it in my 10.5" pistol mainly for HD use.  Should I load something lighter like the Nosler or I've also been looking at the Federal T223A in 55 gr

View Quote

Last case of Black Hills blue box 223rem 75gr cost me 400bucks with shipping. I think that was back in 06 or 07

I use the BH 5.56mm 50gr TSX because I like the high velocity in my short barrel 14.5 M4
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I no longer buy / use the frag dependent loads MK262 / 75gr.
Although I have  several 50rd boxes left.

I`m still using the Black Hills 5.56mm 50gr TSX in 14.5 barrel carbines for HD and SD
View Quote

i'm with you on this topic. all my 75/77 gr stuff is now just for my scoped AR and making hits out to 500.  it bucks the wind better and is just overall more accurate at distance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm staying away from barrier blind loads for HD.  I like that the 75gr OTM has reduced penetration after passing through a barrier (like walls and doors).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm staying away from barrier blind loads for HD.  I like that the 75gr OTM has reduced penetration after passing through a barrier (like walls and doors).

I am with this guy.

No doubt barrier blind is the way to go outside the home.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Holy crap.. thanks for that link.  great price for great ammo, I just ordered a pile.

OP, I too have moved away from TAP ammo.  Running the 70g barns tsx by SSA but I have not seen it on shelves in a long time.  Im switching over to the 62/64g bonded stuff, Fusion MSR and the Nosler defense, cant go wrong with either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your welcome

Shipping isnt great so I hope you indeed stocked up hard. I'd get more but I'm tapped at the moment
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I'm sure you are already well aware of, anything you put in the pipe is handicapped from the word go performance wise.

If it were me, I'd look to a round with a low expansion threshold. Federal Fusion, according to the good Dr., expands very well at 2100fps. Nosler is 1600fps. The beauty of a barrier blind load is that its a good general purpose round. Does alot well, but not everything. To my limited knowledge, such a round does not exist.
There's always a tradeoff somwhere.

The unknown is what is the MV out of your barrel as it pertains to most loads. Not many ammo manufacturers post MV out of different length barrels.  And I should add that HD came come in many forms, not just capping someone meaning to do you harm INSIDE your casa. My $0.02 and YMMV and all that.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As I'm sure you are already well aware of, anything you put in the pipe is handicapped from the word go performance wise.

If it were me, I'd look to a round with a low expansion threshold. Federal Fusion, according to the good Dr., expands very well at 2100fps. Nosler is 1600fps. The beauty of a barrier blind load is that its a good general purpose round. Does alot well, but not everything. To my limited knowledge, such a round does not exist.

The unknown is what is the MV out of your barrel as it pertains to most loads. Not many ammo manufacturers post MV out of different length barrels.  And I should add that HD came come in many forms, not just capping someone meaning to do you harm INSIDE your casa. My $0.02 and YMMV and all that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fusion is sub-1800 fps
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#34]
guess Ill wait for my 75 gr to get here and order some nosler and maybe Gold Dot also.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top