Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2014 1:01:59 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to build a 7" pistol and I need to know.

I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing from this gel test comparing the 8" barrels results to the 20" barrel results.

Does it get any better than this?

Is there anything that comes close?

How would the MK262 MOD 1 compare at this barrel length?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Herro?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
damn. that is crazy.

MK262 is to heavy and slow to use in a 7" barrel. Well, I wouldn't use it in a 7". I get 2300 fps with MK262 out of my 10.5". TSX bullets are made to have an expansion threshold under 2000 fps.

If I ever need a barrier blind bullet, it will be a TSX.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
damn. that is crazy.

MK262 is to heavy and slow to use in a 7" barrel. Well, I wouldn't use it in a 7". I get 2300 fps with MK262 out of my 10.5". TSX bullets are made to have an expansion threshold under 2000 fps.

View Quote

That's incorrect the 50gr is not a normal TSX, it has stronger petals for better petal retention while passing barriers like auto glass.

That makes it need a Faster FPS threshold. The 50gr needs i think near 2000Fps min for expansion, so its realistically limited to 200m max.

Out of a 7in barrel its unlikely anyone's going to be shooting any further than 200m.

That said the 50gr TSX is made FOR SBR's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The BH 50TSX is harder. The 50TSX you can buy as a component or maybe in other loaded ammunition is different.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's incorrect the 50gr is not a normal TSX, it has stronger petals for better petal retention while passing barriers like auto glass.

That makes it need a Faster FPS threshold. The 50gr needs i think near 2000Fps min for expansion, so its realistically limited to 200m max.

Out of a 7in barrel its unlikely anyone's going to be shooting any further than 200m.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
damn. that is crazy.

Its level is around 2300fps i believe.  I'm guessing a MV of 2500-2600fps from a 7" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
damn. that is crazy.

All TSX but the BH 50gr have a threshold under 2000 FPS. Even the 50gr TSX has had a lot of different data published. Even though the BH 50gr TSX has a higher threshold than other TSX, it still expands at slower velocities than most.

This quote below is correct.

Quoted:
The BH 50TSX is harder. The 50TSX you can buy as a component or maybe in other loaded ammunition is different.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO the BH 50 gr TSX load is the bees knees for short barreled guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies. I was getting ready to fo on some, and I just thought I'd double check before I spent $1.50/round for something that isn't the best product available.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top