Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 8:38:04 AM EDT
What is the commercial name for this ammo and is it available to purchase?

If not available, what is a close substitute?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it a hollow point round?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What say all of you about the following:

5.56mm 77 Grain SSA OTM  (MK 262 Clone) 20 Rounds  

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0015536023/5half6mm_77_Grain_SSA_OTM_(MK_262_Clone)_20_Rounds_
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
No, It's an Open Tipped Match (OTM) round..
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I actually have some of this but I now will buy more.  The price seems a lot cheaper than other 77 grain OTM ammo I have seen online.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure there a commercial name.   There were some available several years ago but seems hard to find now.

The SSA you linked to is good ammo.   The IMI is gtg as well.  Not as accurate however.

Black Hills is the top dog.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
IMI good ammo
Quoted:

I actually have some of this but I now will buy more.  The price seems a lot cheaper than other 77 grain OTM ammo I have seen online.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

aka hollow point
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

aka hollow point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aka hollow point

It is not designed for controlled expansion like what you would expect of a traditional hollow point. The tip is open as the result of manufacturing processes and it tends towards fragmentation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMI good ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
IMI good ammo
Quoted:

I just purchased a couple hundred rounds each of the IMI Razor Core 77gr. OTM (16.00/20) and M193 (11.50/30).

Thought that was a fairly decent price for what's considered good quality ammo.  I usually buy PMC m193 when its on sale.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

aka hollow point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aka hollow point

OTM is slightly different, but it is different.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1262
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure there a commercial name.   There were some available several years ago but seems hard to find now.

The SSA you linked to is good ammo.   The IMI is gtg as well.  Not as accurate however.

View Quote

Shooting from a bench I see no real diff between the Black Hills and IMI "262" ammo from my Mk12 clone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shooting from a bench I see no real diff between the Black Hills and IMI "262" ammo from my Mk12 clone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What groups do you get?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I saw someone post some results on this forum and the IMI stuff didn't seem as good as the BH.   I remember thinking I wasn't so impressed.  Not saying it was bad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What groups do you get?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What groups do you get?

Been a while since I played with my Mk12 clone but both rounds were just under an inch if I remember right. Using a bipod and my shoulder/left hand for rear support.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think I saw someone post some results on this forum and the IMI stuff didn't seem as good as the BH.   I remember thinking I wasn't so impressed.  Not saying it was bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read the same thing about the IMI 262 ammo. I think It just comes down to what each gun likes as with any other ammo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Mk 262 is extremely hot, and while I choose to run it when deployed abroad, I also carry mags with green tip or something else if available because of the possibility of primer blow-outs.  Last year, while prepping for a summer deployment, I started looking at the brass from our M4s after noticing the rounds were smoker than I remember.  Almost all of the brass had flattened primers and ejector swipes.This was during weather in the 80's, and I worried that if it was much hotter, we might start seeing worse.  

For my personal guns, I just bought some Fiocchi 77gr SMKs which is definitely loaded not as hot, but it is accurate, and available.  It can be had for about $15-$18 a box.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Mk262 Mod1 exists because of temperature spikes from shooting being enough to cause primer blowouts. Supposedly the new powder is much better about this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thread ewetstone!! I was just wondering this about an hour ago after browsing the MK12 thread
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mk262 Mod1 exists because of temperature spikes from shooting being enough to cause primer blowouts. Supposedly the new powder is much better about this.
View Quote

This was Mod 1!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
IMI has its own version of MK262, I would get that before I paid over a buck for Black Hills.

Wideners IMI  Razor 5.56
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the mod 1 was for the addition of the cannelure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done at the same time but not the why.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good thread ewetstone!! I was just wondering this about an hour ago after browsing the MK12 thread
View Quote

I was able to buy some awhile back made by BVAC and sold by Surplus Ammo but that has dried up.

I went to BVAC website and you can buy 500 rounds for 206.00.

http://www.bvac-ammo.com/pdf/Retail%20Range%20Price%20List.pdf

The stuff I had was loaded in new LC brass,  in fact I shot 90 rounds of just yesterday and not one malfunction.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top