Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2014 12:33:24 PM EDT
So not asking if steel cased is bad, we all know it will run in an AR, but when you stack it, do you prefer the brass cased reloadable for the extra $80/1000 or just go as cheap as possible and blast away ?  Does more barrel wear with steel jacketed bullets factor in to your decision ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer brass but, I have fired steel cased on occasion out of my Stag with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever is the lowest cost at the time. Right now it's steel cased.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel cases and my Noveske barrel do not bode well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite rifle will digest steel cased ammo but my others won't.  For that reason I stick with brass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Prefer brass.   Steel runs fine in my rifles and will pick it up if that's what's available
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
my AR runs both flawlessly, zero FTF's, FTE's, stove pipes, etc.  in 1000 rounds.  i buy whatever i can find at a price i like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I use brass for the accuracy. If steel was as accurate as brass, I would buy that.

And if I want to just go blasting, I put a 5.45mm upper on my AR and go to town.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I reload so all brass for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Brass , no questions about it being once fired.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer brass, but I will use Hornady Steel Match.  As far as projectiles - gilding metal jackets only in my AR.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Mostly steel case unless really trying for accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Brass only - never in my life have I had an issue with brass.

Read enough on steel to know to avoid it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, I will ONLY shoot brass-cased ammo in my AR-15 rifles.

Now, I WOULD shoot steel-cased ammo in my Saiga .223 rifle if that were all I had, but your question is about AR-15s.    

Why?  Because I can afford brass-cased ammo and I want to minimize extractor and barrel wear and YES steel-cased commie ammo does wear out these faster but tell yourself whatever you want to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Have 8k+ rounds through the MK18 postie with nothing but a steady diet of Tulammo 55gr.  It's still minute of paper plate at 100yds and no keyholes.  On a semi auto...I don't have any hesitations shooting steel cased ammo with a bi-metal jacket through a CL barrel.  I don't shoot it through my 11.5" Noveske SS barrel just because I buy quality brass cased ammo for that thing...but for blasting rifles it's perfectly fine.  Just clean your chamber really well to ensure all of the carbon build up gets removed every thousand rounds or so.  The steel does not obturate at the neck like brass does, which allows carbon and gas to flow between the case and chamber walls.  This build up will eventually lead to stuck cases.  Lots of ARFCOMer's like to quote the Luckygunner test...but I've yet to see the same results, even after actual full auto fire.  Maybe DD makes a barrel that's that much better than Bushmaster....I dunno.  That's my personal experience.  It's worth what you're paying for it...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot what ever you can buy !
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prefer brass.   Steel runs fine in my rifles and will pick it up if that's what's available
View Quote

My thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]

500 rounds  $119 at Walmart. I hope that my son will shoot it in 30 years or so when I'm dead or too old to shoot. I buy brass for self defence, hunting and target when I can get it at a reasonable price. But I have no problem shooting the cheap steel stuff for plinking. In the spam can it doesn't get any better for long term storage and it doesn't tie up a lot of money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I shoot mostly brass case stuff .

I have shot a bit of the steel but I am not much of a blaster type shooter and have not been much impressed with the power or accuracy of most of the steel I have found .

The steel has its uses
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoot the steel case and leave the brass for me!
lol!!
I only use brass and buy ammo from USA if at all possible.  I have used PMC on occasion.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I use brass for the accuracy. If steel was as accurate as brass, I would buy that.

View Quote
try hornady, its better than brass surplus

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

you should not believe what you read

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

minimize extractor and barrel wear and YES steel-cased commie ammo does wear out these faster but tell yourself whatever you want to.
View Quote
my Mgs will disagree

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing but brass..................

The steel is not good with my rifles and not worth the damage done....................

Brass all the way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I do have a spam can of tula steel for SHTF. probably will never get used.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
You can pay for a new barrel with what you save buying steel vs brass.

I shoot mostly brass but some steel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Tula steel cased for plinking ammo, M193 and M855 for stocking.

I do keep a can of Tula stocked also.

Steel runs 100% in both my PSA/Daniel Defense build and Dad's Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Prefer brass but steel is cheaper

When you shoot a lot the savings definitely add up

Brass is for defense/long range/carbine classes

Steel is for plinking/blasting

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I reload so all brass for me.
View Quote

Me also. its cheap and easy enough to get.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the only steel i have used and liked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#32]
If you have a high end paper puncher, I can see not wanting to run steel. But, if you have a
battle rifle, it better run everything.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi,

Use either brass or steel in my AR-15‘s.  The steel winds up being used mostly in areas were I can't keep my brass.  The last carbine class I you couldn't keep your brass so steel cased ammo saw the most use.  I noticed no problems in my chromed bore carbine, but some guys with regular chambers and bores got stuck cases.  With a new rifle I'd sseveral hundred rounds of steel cased without cleaning before depending on it.  My rifles can do this, but some can't.  Hope my two cents help.

Best Regards:-)
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're  doing it backwards in my opinion. Shoot steel at the range, keep brass for SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP, I will ONLY shoot brass-cased ammo in my AR-15 rifles.

Now, I WOULD shoot steel-cased ammo in my Saiga .223 rifle if that were all I had, but your question is about AR-15s.    

Why?  Because I can afford brass-cased ammo and I want to minimize extractor and barrel wear and YES steel-cased commie ammo does wear out these faster but tell yourself whatever you want to.
View Quote

With the savings of shooting steel over brass, you can afford to keep a barrel and bolt on hand. At current pricing at AIM, Wolf steel is 269.75 per thousand which is $2697.50 for 10k rounds. Wolf brass is $339.50 per thousand, which is $3395 for 10k rounds. That's a difference of $697.50 which is plenty of savings to buy a replacement barrel and bcg. Which most here probably have on hand anyways.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Steel case for 80% of shooting, brass for 20%.

Ive had zero issues with steel in the following brands:
BCM
Spikes
PSA
Daniel Defense

For the $ I save, I can buy a few barrels.

If shooting past 200 or going for groups, it's brass.

ETA: I'm shooting 2-3x a month, 300-500 rounds per outing.

The savings add up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Just cleaned lgs out of 75gr. Hornady steel match today. 400rds/150ish this stuff is pretty damn straight shooting too (hpbt and no steel jackets for those that don't know).
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Please stop posting this video; that's at least twice now - Eric802
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I only shoot brass casing rounds out of my AR's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Brass, because I don't feel like cleaning every time I shoot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I voted Brass...Im not going to fire steel cased russian made trash through a rifle worth more than some peoples homes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I would just run brass the lucky gunner review convinced me when I was on the fence about this topic,  barrel with brass was good past 10k rounds and the barrels with steel showed wear after 5k.  So to go past 10k you would actually be on your 3rd barrel. But if you don't mind switching it up and changing barrels and the look of your rifle with different barrels it's a wash.   With wolf gold being as cheap as it is nowadays I just stocked up and don't have to worry about degrading my barrel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would just run brass the lucky gunner review convinced me when I was on the fence about this topic,  barrel with brass was good past 10k rounds and the barrels with steel showed wear after 5k.  So to go past 10k you would actually be on your 3rd barrel. But if you don't mind switching it up and changing barrels and the look of your rifle with different barrels it's a wash.   With wolf gold being as cheap as it is nowadays I just stocked up and don't have to worry about degrading my barrel.
View Quote

Do you believe everything you read on the internet, I have read the Lucky Gunner's article several times and all I get out of it is, The whole thing reads like a selling ad for brass ammo because it is higher dollar and there for more mark up.  After all Lucky Gunner is an ammo seller and just may be a bit biased.  Now I don't blame them at all for this, if I had an ammo company I would do the same.

The fact is that I shoot mostly Steel out of my 5 AR's and I have stated this before on this site many times "that steel performs flawless in all 5 of my rifles" and I have not seen the premature barrel wear that Lucky Gunner Article states... I have one rifle with over 10K rounds of steel through it and it still shoots under 3 inches at 100 yards.

So for me it is Steel, the only thing I use brass for is hunting critters...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you believe everything you read on the internet, I have read the Lucky Gunner's article several times and I get out of it is, The whole thing reads like a selling ad for brass ammo because it is higher dollar and there for more mark up.  After all Lucky Gunner is an ammo seller and just may be a bit biased.  Now I don't blame them at all for this, if I had an ammo company I would do the same.

The fact is that I shoot mostly Steel out of my 5 AR's and I have stated this before on this site many times "that steel performs flawless in all 5 of my rifles" and I have not seen the premature barrel wear that Lucky Gunner Article states... I have one rifle with over 10K rounds of steel through it and it still shoots under 3 inches at 100 yards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you believe everything you read on the internet, I have read the Lucky Gunner's article several times and I get out of it is, The whole thing reads like a selling ad for brass ammo because it is higher dollar and there for more mark up.  After all Lucky Gunner is an ammo seller and just may be a bit biased.  Now I don't blame them at all for this, if I had an ammo company I would do the same.

You probably weren't doing 10k worth of full auto mag dumps.  They were running those rifles flat out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You probably weren't doing 10k worth of full auto mag dumps.  They were running those rifles flat out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post on Pg 1...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Brass in my scoped AR, and steel in my shorter barrel AR with a red dot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I would guess I am pushing 10000 rounds of steel case with out any major issues. It's normally cheaper so I go with it. I also shoot a good bit of reloads since I reload.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Have always shot brass exclusively in my rifles and handguns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Whatever works for the job intended.

I shoot both, a requirement for all my AR's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top