Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2014 4:20:19 PM EDT
I understand this has been covered before but times change and new stuff is always hitting the market, so for mid 2014 what ammo are you guys loading your pistols and SBR's (10.5" or less) with for HD (<15m)?  Just want to get an idea of whats popular and why.  .223/5.56 please.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
m193
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
m193
View Quote

Good to hear.  If it gets the job done I'm all for it, I have about 4,000 rounds of m193 sitting in my safe haha.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just loaded up some nosler 64 bondeds for my 10.5 pistol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you run that load through a chrony?  I'm interested in hearing your velocities.  I'm going to be loading up 62gr Fusions with Varget.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
m193
View Quote

It will shoot, but there is a lot better for a 10.5".  M193 is good for stocking up for budget, but i would suggest a purpose made defense round for a go to round.

Hornady 75gr T2 TAP, MK262, MK318, Black Hillls 50gr TSX, 64gr Gold Dots, and there is a lot more I left out.

I keep two mags loaded with 75 T2 TAP. One mag with my last box of MK262. A bit more SD ammo in boxes. Then i have 3000 rounds of mil surplus other bulk for everything else.

also all of my heavy OTM match ammo i use in 3 gun will make very good HD ammo if needed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you run that load through a chrony?  I'm interested in hearing your velocities.  I'm going to be loading up 62gr Fusions with Varget.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My pistol is in prices right now awaiting a face lift. When I get it back together I will chronograph those loads
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Black Hillls 50gr TSX
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Would fiocchi 62g be alright for 10.5" SBR?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
...M193 for my 5.56 SBR and HORNADY 300 WHISPER 208 or 110 GR V-MAX for my 300 Blackout SBR.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
My 10.5 lmt likes 75 grain tap but I'm curious to try some of the 75 grain ppu match. At $10 per 20 I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It will shoot, but there is a lot better for a 10.5".  M193 is good for stocking up for budget, but i would suggest a purpose made defense round for a go to round.

Hornady 75gr T2 TAP, MK262, MK318, Black Hillls 50gr TSX, 64gr Gold Dots, and there is a lot more I left out.

I keep two mags loaded with 75 T2 TAP. One mag with my last box of MK262. A bit more SD ammo in boxes. Then i have 3000 rounds of mil surplus other bulk for everything else.

also all of my heavy OTM match ammo i use in 3 gun will make very good HD ammo if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

m193

I agree with gotigers.  I'm using 75gr TAP.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

If using a short-barreled weapon: The sameguidelines apply as for barrier penetration loads. SBRs usually haveinsufficient velocity to achieve fragmentation velocity.

As per Doctor Roberts: "Keep in mind, that withnon-fragmenting bullet designs, heavier bullet weights are notnecessarily better, especially at closer ranges and from shorterbarrels. As long as penetration and upset remain adequate, it ispossible to use lighter weight non-fragmenting bullets and still haveoutstanding terminal performance. With fragmenting designs, a heavierbullet is ideal, as it provides more potential fragments and stillallows the central core to have enough mass for adequate penetration.In addition, heavier bullets may have an advantage at longer ranges dueto better BC and less wind drift."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand this has been covered before but times change and new stuff is always hitting the market, so for mid 2014 what ammo are you guys loading your pistols and SBR's (10.5" or less) with for HD (<15m)?  Just want to get an idea of whats popular and why.  .223/5.56 please.

If using a short-barreled weapon: The sameguidelines apply as for barrier penetration loads. SBRs usually haveinsufficient velocity to achieve fragmentation velocity.

As per Doctor Roberts: "Keep in mind, that withnon-fragmenting bullet designs, heavier bullet weights are notnecessarily better, especially at closer ranges and from shorterbarrels. As long as penetration and upset remain adequate, it ispossible to use lighter weight non-fragmenting bullets and still haveoutstanding terminal performance. With fragmenting designs, a heavierbullet is ideal, as it provides more potential fragments and stillallows the central core to have enough mass for adequate penetration.In addition, heavier bullets may have an advantage at longer ranges dueto better BC and less wind drift."

Wow, very informative.  Thanks for sharing the link.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
m193

All of it is good advice but the parts in Red I especially agree with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is informative...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 10.5 lmt likes 75 grain tap but I'm curious to try some of the 75 grain ppu match. At $10 per 20 I couldn't resist.
View Quote

I chrono'd it out of my 10.5", 1:7, FN barrel, late last year. The results are the 7th down in the pic. I find it has consistent velocities, but the groups are slightly bigger than other match ammo.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
That's good info. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
gotigers, TYVM!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I am told Federal RXM556T3 is designed with 10.5" bbls in mind.
IT is a 62gr bonded softpoint bullet - there is NO steel in it.

Chrono testing out of my 10.5" pistol delivered an average of over 2700 FPS.
That is pretty damn good in my book....maybe not the best, but by far the fastest I tested.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Why are the 62-64gr bonded soft points like gold dots and ranger so good at low velocities?

Do they still expand at 10.5 barrel velocities?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why are the 62-64gr bonded soft points like gold dots and ranger so good at low velocities?

Do they still expand at 10.5 barrel velocities?
View Quote

Per Federal's website, "Gold Dot rifle bullets are optimized to ensure expansion out of barrels down to 10" at a wide variety of velocities out to 200 yards."

I'm gonna say yes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I went with Barnes vor-tx 55 gr TSX 223 for my 7.5 in case of an emergency. Got it for just under $1/round on sale, and should expand reliably at 7.5 velocities out to at least 75 yards (1800fps minimum for full expansion)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best performance/price for SBR/pistols is Fed Fusion (<$1 per round). It has some good attributes also, like expansion potential at very low (relatively speaking for a .223) velocities. It has a little of exposed lead tip if that is a concern. It is also available as a component if you want to brew your own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

m193

I was under the (mis?)understanding that 75 gr was too slow for 10.5/7.5.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I have some Nugent 223 with 45gr TSX, but I haven't been able to fire any yet.

Gold Dot is my standard, but I've yet to kill anything with it from an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]

I was impressed with the results of the 70g tsx fired from a 10.5 inch HK416 at 2479fps.  The TSX test starts at 4:40.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top