Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 9:15:54 AM EDT
I have sighted in my DDM4 v5 with standard M855 ball (FMJ) greet tip ammo.  I am now looking to get a supply of ammo that is not FMJ.   As my riftle was sighted in with a .62 grain bullet, my preference would be to stay with that bullet weight.

I have two questions.

It seems that there is larger supply of .55 grain bullets with soft point or ballistic tip ammo, as compared to the .62 grain bullet. Why is that?

There is a large variety of ammo available with soft point or ballistic tip with bullet weights in the 40 grains all the way up to 70+ grains.  Sure, different targets (Varmints, tactical, plinking) are better suited for different bullet characteristics.  But, the .62 grain doesn't seem to be the bullet weight of choice.  Why not?

I guess I have a third question, and that would relate to price.  From what I can find from on-line sources, the soft point and ballistic point is priced much higher than standard ball ammo. I am guessing that is a factor of material cost and demand. correct?

My objective is to find ammo for shooting pigs and coyotes.   My shooting distance could be as far out as 400 yards.  Which is the reason for trying to stay with the same bullet weight as what my gun was sighted in at, and my Nikon M-223 scope is 'calibrated' to the .56 grain bullet.  (I shoot the heavier .62 grain because of the barrel twist.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought some 62gr softpoint for that same purpose.  And it was cheaper than 55ball around here.  However it is russian steel cased ammo (nickel plated case) with a bimetal bullet.  It should show up on Tues. and I plan on checking it to see how my AR likes it.   I'll let you know...

Here's the 20rd boxes if you just wanted to try it, but they have 100,500, and 1000 rd cases too...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-223-silver-bear-62gr-soft-point-ammo/cName/223-556-soft-point

You don't need much for a coyote, and from what i've been able to find the softpoint actually does fragment and break apart a little.  If the Silver bear is too much for you, look at the Brown bear ammo, it's lacquer coated steel case with the same bullet.  

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=330212

http://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/113812-223-brown-bear-soft-point-62-gr/
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Because 62gr isn't what the vast majority are using for hunting. There are 62gr non fmj out there, but your best bet for availability would be 60gr.
2. Because 62gr isn't the end-all be-all for .223/5.56?
3. Quality of ammo. Your m855 military surplus isn't to the same quality or performance standards of quality hunting or self-defense loads.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
1.  223 has historically been a varmit caliber.  30-55gr bullets are great for varmits.  You only need a 1-14 to 1-12 twist barrel to stabalizze them so most of the choice came in those weights to match the barrel twist and inertia set in.  No one was going to design new bullets that current rifles would not support.

2.  Your rifle is sighted in for the BC. of the M855 round.  Switching ammo will cause a shift reguardless of the weight unless it has the same BC.  The shift will be minor.  Bullet manufactures have their own reasons for various weights.  You will find quite a few within the 60-65gr weight span.  Why did ATK make a 62gr Fusion, a 63grain American Eagle Bonded, and a 64gr Golddot when they are all the same bullet except for the weight and ever so differences in profile?  Who knows?

3.  I guess difficulty or maybe scale of production.

4.  Yotes are normally shot with heavier varmit bullets.  Pigs will require bonded or all copper bullets.  Most softpoints, BTs, or hollowpoints will behave like varmit bullets and give insignificant penetration on pigs.  Use bonded bullets like TBBC, Nosler Bonded, Fusion/Goldot, Swifts or go all copper with Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, or Nosler E-Tips.  There are probably others but I don't remember them all.  Shoot 60-70gr weight span for better penetration.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
So here's my update on the Silver Bear 62gr.  It ran without problems and shot quite well imho.  I'll definitely be using it when tooling around looking for javelina/coyote/near the border.

I shot these at 50yrds from sand bag rest with an eotech to check various diff. rounds I had.  and how far off of zero they all were to one another

The single "/" marks are 55gr xm193.  
The "circle" is the Silver Bear 62gr sp, (there are 10 rounds, some holes overlapped and I missed marking them before taking this pic.)
The one "t" round is the last 55gr tap I had.
The five "//" rounds are 50gr vmax fiocchi.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is a large variety of ammo available with soft point or ballistic tip with bullet weights in the 40 grains all the way up to 70+ grains.  Sure, different targets (Varmints, tactical, plinking) are better suited for different bullet characteristics.  But, the .62 grain doesn't seem to be the bullet weight of choice.  Why not?
View Quote

From what  I have read before (don't ask me where), the steel penetrator in 62 grain m855  may not always be embedded perfectly straight and/or canted inside the bullet which causes reduced accuracy. My understanding is the military prefers this round due to the increase in penetration into body armor, barriers etc...but by no means am I an expert on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My objective is to find ammo for shooting pigs and coyotes.   My shooting distance could be as far out as 400 yards.  Which is the reason for trying to stay with the same bullet weight as what my gun was sighted in at, and my Nikon M-223 scope is 'calibrated' to the .56 grain bullet.  (I shoot the heavier .62 grain because of the barrel twist.)
View Quote

I think this will be fine for your pigs/yotes... the distance I don't know b/c I don't have my rifle scoped to check long range accuracy ability...

Today I did a very unscientific water jug test.  Laid six 1-gallon milk jugs back to back and shot them from 20yrds.  First two milk jugs blew up, 3rd had a nice single entry and exit, 4th had an entry and I found this in the bottom with no other fragments found.  I'm super happy with this for shooting javelina/coyote... Unfortunately I only had one set of jugs to test so I could only test one round this time... but it looks like it'll be ok for small/medium game.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Due to the steel in the M855,it's longer then other 62 grain bullets. Going to be hard to ballistically match that exact bullet.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top