Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 7:18:50 AM EDT
Hello to all,

I was at my local shooting range the other day and went to talk to the on-site gunsmith and I was told that sometime this year ammo prices are gonna come way down! Since the average for a box of 20 rounds/223 Remington is going for around $9 bucks I was hoping the price could come down to maybe $5 bucks instead?

Has anyone in the states heard of this same rumor/info that I was informed? If it could it sure could be a great comfort on my wallet. Even at $9/box of 223 I can barely afford it currently.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Every store around here (DFW area), Walmart, Cabela's. Academy, Bass Pro, and even Dick's is swimming in ammo. Its only a matter of time before prices drop. Now to what level the pricing goes remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every store around here (DFW area), Walmart, Cabela's. Academy, Bass Pro, and even Dick's is swimming in ammo. Its only a matter of time before prices drop. Now to what level the pricing goes remains to be seen.
View Quote

MSC182,

I'm much glad at least you have good inventory but over here in Cali I've not seen much of an improvement except for the prices have come down a bit over time. I don't believe it's due to an over stock of ammo though. I know it's really a stretch but I remember in use to fet PMC Military for about 3.50/box of 20. Heck for that price even I can afford that on my meger budget. All I really see is Russian ammo imported and even that's pretty pricey for a catron of 1000 rounds!!!

Impala
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo's definitely been coming down in cost. I'm kinda hoping I can get more 5.56/.223 for 25 cents per round shipped again, but I'm not holding my breath on it being a reliable/common occurrence.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You should be paying no more than $309/1k shipped for brass .223 at this point. Go on slickguns.com and you'll see the deals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ammo's definitely been coming down in cost. I'm kinda hoping I can get more 5.56/.223 for 25 cents per round shipped again, but I'm not holding my breath on it being a reliable/common occurrence.
View Quote

Luckygunner.com had tula .223 for .25ish/rnd delivered as of this morning. $225/1k plus shipping, which was $27 to my location.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Around the Memphis area, the market is flooded with everything, except 22lr and 9mm. 9mm shows up often tho. Prices for shotshells have started to fall. Walmart dropped $6 off the 100 shell box of #7 12ga. It is now under $20. I am seeing <$7 for a 20 round box of Fed XM193 at Academy and $8 for a 20 round box of AE223 55fmj.

With the prices on the interweb dropping well below walmart, we will see walmart start to drop prices more in the coming months. I have noticed a 3-6 month lag in walmart prices vs market prices. I think they might catch up sooner because market prices are falling faster than normal.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Around the Memphis area, the market is flooded with everything, except 22lr and 9mm. 9mm shows up often tho. Prices for shotshells have started to fall. Walmart dropped $6 off the 100 shell box of #7 12ga. It is now under $20. I am seeing <$7 for a 20 round box of Fed XM193 at Academy and $8 for a 20 round box of AE223 55fmj.

With the prices on the interweb dropping well below walmart, we will see walmart start to drop prices more in the coming months. I have noticed a 3-6 month lag in walmart prices vs market prices. I think they might catch up sooner because market prices are falling faster than normal.
View Quote

gotigers,

Based on your statement it appears 223/556 is coming down in price in very small increments but it's still pretty much outta my pocket book still. Once upon a time I use to be able to buy every two weeks about 4-5 boxes/20 rounds and save it up and have fun at the shooting range when my buds and I were able to plan a get together. Since we entered the wars everything just went sour for me. Because of the prices I've been able to shoot a little more but still must spare my ammo to a minimum (60 rounds) on an outing. Let's hope the price will come down more and all the rumors gpoing around that Obama's governemt isn't buying up the ammo to keep the prices up and out of the pocket of the average american.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
$7 per box of .223/5.56 is my new cutoff. I don't need it though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

GTRider245,

I'm waiting for at least $5/box myself.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Availability is steadily increasing for all calibers especially 22lr.  With that the prices are also steadily dropping across the board.  Check out AmmoSpy's Trending Page: http://www.ammospy.net/trending
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Availability is steadily increasing for all calibers especially 22lr.  With that the prices are also steadily dropping across the board.  Check out AmmoSpy's Trending Page: http://www.ammospy.net/trending
View Quote

Where??? The only place I've found any .22 LR was at Bass Pro in Mobile, AL last week, and it was only two fifty-round boxes of CCI Standard Velocity. I was glad that's what it was because it's my favorite .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Tons of online retailers have 22lr in stock at a fair price: 22LR Ammo
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
GTRider245,

Impala
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GTRider245,

Impala
Don't expect it.  $6/box will probably be the bottom.  Maybe we'll see $5.50, but I doubt it.  Below $6/box and I'll be stocking up.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you sent the wrong link. None of that would be considered a fair price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, .10/rd for .22.  I might be interest at roughly half that.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't expect it.  $6/box will probably be the bottom.  Maybe we'll see $5.50, but I doubt it.  Below $6/box and I'll be stocking up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTRider245,

Impala

Well that's what I use to do in my earlier days. My meger budget would allow me to buy a few boxes at a time and I would allow it to pile up. When I coordinate with my buddies we'd head to the range together and have a great time at the range. Like I said earlier the price is down about half of what it use to be but still can go farther down than before.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well that's what I use to do in my earlier days. My meger budget would allow me to buy a few boxes at a time and I would allow it to pile up. When I coordinate with my buddies we'd head to the range together and have a great time at the range. Like I said earlier the price is down about half of what it use to be but still can go farther down than before.

Impala
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTRider245,

Impala

Impala

Before Newtown, I was getting Fed XM193 and AE223 for $5.97 a box of 20. It had been that way for a few years. Around here at least. The market is very soft right now, well it was before the Russian BS. If the Russian political issues don't cause an import ban on ammo, then the market might be soft enough to get sub $5. During the ammo shortage everyone bought up everything and are hoarding it. That plus a soft market, could cause a drop in prices.

I can dream.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Before Newtown, I was getting Fed XM193 and AE223 for $5.97 a box of 20. It had been that way for a few years. Around here at least. The market is very soft right now, well it was before the Russian BS. If the Russian political issues don't cause an import ban on ammo, then the market might be soft enough to get sub $5. During the ammo shortage everyone bought up everything and are hoarding it. That plus a soft market, could cause a drop in prices.

I can dream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTRider245,

Impala

Impala

I can dream.

Let's just wait and see. I just saw a special news broadcast on the Russian/Ukraine plane shooting. It doesn't look good for the Russians right now.....Prepare for more sanctions against them. I don't want to get into politics cuz I just want some good non-corrosive ammo to shoot at the range that'll fit my budget. The average price for a box of 20 is about $9. To me that's better than before but still too high for the average shooter like me. Heck I'd even go for PMC Bronze as it appears to function pretty good.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Wolf  Gold .223 is like $309 shipped per 1k.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#20]
prices are dropping online, but lagging for big box stores and local gun shops.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wolf  Gold .223 is like $309 shipped per 1k.
View Quote

shrimpmoney,

Can't find Wolf Gold out here unless it's ordered on line but allot of outta state stores won't ship ammo to California unless it's a business. My best bet is always PMC Bronze which has been pretty reliable.

Impala
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can't find Wolf Gold out here unless it's ordered on line but allot of outta state stores won't ship ammo to California unless it's a business. My best bet is always PMC Bronze which has been pretty reliable.

Impala
View Quote

Can give Freedom Munitions a try.  They have Igman 5.56 for $318/k with free shipping this weekend.  Not sure where in Cali you are but this is their shipping policies.  Pasted the CA stuff below.

CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: No sales of ammunition delivered to the counties of Marin, Napa, San Francisco, Yolo and Ventura. No ammunition delivered to the Cities of: Berkley, Carson, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco. No high capacity magazine exceeding 10rds sales to anyone or dealer in CA. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Can give Freedom Munitions a try.  They have Igman 5.56 for $318/k with free shipping this weekend.  Not sure where in Cali you are but this is their shipping policies.  Pasted the CA stuff below.

CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: No sales of ammunition delivered to the counties of Marin, Napa, San Francisco, Yolo and Ventura. No ammunition delivered to the Cities of: Berkley, Carson, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco. No high capacity magazine exceeding 10rds sales to anyone or dealer in CA. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impala

Pete,

Thanks for trying....I live in L.A.:-(

Impala
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Isn't Igman no go for reloading?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isn't Igman no go for reloading?
View Quote

Small primer holes cause de-priming issues
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
223/556(Fed Tact/w clips) on sale in IF, local GS, @ .31 OTD.  Cheapest price in the US right now.  They have been on sale for about 1mo.  New store.....probably need some cash flow
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#27]
seems to me ammo prices fluctuate like gasoline!!!! Here the rpice appears to come down and all it takes is something to stir it up!

Impala
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll buy at $.04 a rd.  It shows up around here for that - till the supply is gone (about 30 min.!)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top