Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2014 4:37:40 PM EDT
Thinking of picking some up as cheap hunting ammo.  Wondering about how the round performs.  Shooting from a SigM400 if that means anything.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking of picking some up as cheap hunting ammo.  Wondering about how the round performs.  Shooting from a SigM400 if that means anything.  Thanks.
View Quote

Could not give you any specific information but I shoot Silver Bear without any problems at all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#2]
ive shot a lot of it in 308 and killed lots of pigs. don't ever remember a misfire or any issues.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot some silver. But mostly shoot brown bear 62grn HP and have taken 40 or 50 hogs with it. No FTF's or E's.
The price on it at SGammo is high now. I bought a bunch several years ago when it was $100 for 500 delivered. I won't be buying anymore until it's that cheap again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would expect that the bullet will not mushroom if it has a steel jacket
View Quote

MRW, I somewhat agree, with the lack of reliable expansion, even with the SP.  But, I would almost guess it might act like a cheap bonded as well.  Very cheap, but maybe.  It would be interesting to find out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have and have shot the 62gr HP's. Love them. Wish I could get more. I would think the
soft points would be similar.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
spend the money on 1 box of good ammo. You should only need 3 to site in, and have 17 left for the season

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thinking of picking some up as cheap hunting ammo. Wondering about how the round performs. Shooting from a SigM400 if that means anything. Thanks.
View Quote

I never assume that any Eastern European / Russian 'hollow point' or 'soft point' bimetal jacketed ammunition will expand. I assume it will perform like FMJ.

For actual game animal hunting (i.e., Bambi) / self defense, I buy ammunition that has proven terminal ballistic performance.

ETA:  Typing "silver bear soft point expansion" into the Bing search box gets you a ton of hits.  Many are about Golden Bear.  So far all are about the 7.62x39mm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
So here's a little accuracy test I did on the Silver Bear 62gr.  It ran without problems and shot quite well imho.  I'll definitely be using it when tooling around looking for javelina/coyote/near the border.

I shot these at 50yrds from sand bag rest with an eotech to check various diff. rounds I had.  and how far off of zero they all were to one another.

The single "/" marks are 55gr xm193.  
The "circle" is the Silver Bear 62gr sp, (there are 10 rounds, some holes overlapped and I missed marking them before taking this pic.)
The one "t" round is the last 55gr tap I had.
The five "//" rounds are 50gr vmax fiocchi.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Ammunition To Go has 20 round boxes at 6.95.

Is that cheap enough to warrant getting some?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's where I got it from.  I went in on it three ways with some coworkers.  We split 300 rds shipped for $40 each, so it cost us $0.40 per/rd.  

I know that you can find 55gr fmj brass cased for a tad cheaper.  However I wanted a little heavier bullet and I wanted the soft point.  I don't regret the purchase and am happy with the price based on local availability and price compared to some similar rounds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Today I did a very unscientific water jug test.  Laid six 1-gallon milk jugs back to back and shot them from 20yrds.  First two milk jugs blew up, 3rd had a nice single entry and exit, 4th had an entry and I found this in the bottom with no other fragments found.  I'm super happy with this for shooting javelina/coyote... Unfortunately I only had one set of jugs to test so I could only test one round this time... but it looks like it'll be ok for small/medium game.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's where I got it from.  I went in on it three ways with some coworkers.  We split 300 rds shipped for $40 each, so it cost us $0.40 per/rd.  

I know that you can find 55gr fmj brass cased for a tad cheaper.  However I wanted a little heavier bullet and I wanted the soft point.  I don't regret the purchase and am happy with the price based on local availability and price compared to some similar rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still trying to figure out, splitting 300 rounds 3 ways.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top