BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I ordered a case from Midway before AIM was offering theirs for $399.  About an hour later the AIM came up and I went ahead and bought another case.  Sure I payed quite a bit, but this appears to be a legitimate AP round, and if nothing else an interesting conversation piece.

I wish their was some way to get real M855A1, but it now appears that won't ever happen via legal channels.  I'd still like to find some M995 as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I ordered a case from Midway before AIM was offering theirs for $399.  About an hour later the AIM came up and I went ahead and bought another case.  Sure I payed quite a bit, but this appears to be a legitimate AP round, and if nothing else an interesting conversation piece.

I wish their was some way to get real M855A1, but it now appears that won't ever happen via legal channels.  I'd still like to find some M995 as well.
View Quote

If I could replace the one round of 855A1 I have, I would shoot it at the plate too
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of countries are moving to steel cores as their standard ball rounds in order to meet 'green' standards. They do not consider them to be AP though and they have separate tungsten core rounds for that.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Lots of countries are moving to steel cores as their standard ball rounds in order to meet 'green' standards. They do not consider them to be AP though and they have separate tungsten core rounds for that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I ordered a case from Midway before AIM was offering theirs for $399. About an hour later the AIM came up and I went ahead and bought another case. Sure I payed quite a bit, but this appears to be a legitimate AP round, and if nothing else an interesting conversation piece.

I wish their was some way to get real M855A1, but it now appears that won't ever happen via legal channels. I'd still like to find some M995 as well.

True.  These are not on the level of a tungsten core AP round, though I'm sure penetration was considered during development.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered some yesterday, too much is better!
Do like the looks of the loading tool.
The Danish SS-109 I purchased last year was on strippers, not compatible with USGI mags, or others.
Guess the CG loaders work great with P-Mags.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have only one concern with this ammo hopefully someone has knowledge of. One of its advantages is listed as being "non-toxic" or lead free. I do not trust lead free primers for long term storage. One seller advertises it as ideal for long term storage. Question: Does anyone know about the shelf life or composition of the primer? I know it is berdan primed and I am sure it is reliable in the short term or it would not be in military use. But what about the long term? I was hoping a member with deep understanding of cartridges could chime in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
By chance I stumbled onto this stuff on AIM when it was in stock and bought a case. Fished my first AR build a couple weeks ago and only have Wolf Gold on hand right now.

I'm curious how this stuff will perform due to the mixed reviews. I'm familiar with M855 through rifle qualifications, wonder how it compares.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My shooting partner and I have been shooting this on and off since the summer.
We found that:
1. It is HOT ammo. One of our rifles exhibited flattened primers and several were pierced.
It may have had an out of spec chamber and or a tight leade. The recoil is snappy.

2. It is the most accurate standard 62gr military issue ammo I have ever shot. we were able to get MOA at 100 yds bench rested with a good barrel.
The projectile is very long and works great in a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

3.The front part of the core is much harder that the rear part which seems to be mild steel.
It completely penetrates 3/8" mild steel railroad tie plates at 50 yds. It is an excellent barrier buster IMO.

It is much closer to AP than M855's wildest dreams.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess we'll just have to wait until someone does some Penetration and gel tests.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess we'll just have to wait until someone does some Penetration and gel tests.
View Quote

Hope it's still available after you are done waiting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What does what I own have to do with someone who also owns it conducting tests???
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What does what I own have to do with someone who also owns it conducting tests???
View Quote

The post I quoted from didn't mention you were already a owner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that matter?  People ate curious about how this round performs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would really like to see how this performs against 1/4" and 3/8" AR500.
View Quote

It barely puts a dimple in it....
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
AIM has about 300 cans of it in stock right now.  They say last shipment.

Here
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AIM has about 300 cans of it in stock right now.  They say last shipment.

Here
View Quote

And they are selling 100rd packs.....

I would have just ordered 1-200 rounds for testing if they did that last time!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Description says "recent production". Will this be the safer stuff or the 09/10' production?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Description says "recent production". Will this be the safer stuff or the 09/10' production?

View Quote

This is not the newer, redesigned version

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any reliable information on how much the non-toxic primers will affect the shelf life?  I assume different non-toxic primers may differ in this respect.  Any experience with these?  It could explain why 2009 ammo is being replaced in 2014.
View Quote

Very curious about this as well. If this ammo is 2009-2011 production and and is non-toxic, lead free as claimed. Lead free primers have a shorter(5 years, give or take) shelf life, how long will this ammo be reliable?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is FNH's Response to a Lead Free ammo shelf life e-mail question:

"Healey Shane [email protected]

Dear sir,
Our supplier guarantees the primer 10 years subject to storage in original packaging at a temperature between +10°C and +30°C and at an humidity not higher than 80%.

Best regards

Shane Healey"

I would think Sweden's primers would last at least that long considering they do not have a "use by" date on the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
So whats the deal with this stuff.  I was reading elsewhere it has a full steel core with no lead whatsoever.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So whats the deal with this stuff.  I was reading elsewhere it has a full steel core with no lead whatsoever.  Is this true?
View Quote

Correct no lead at all, a hardened front core and a larger mild steel read core.
Meets the ATF's current definition of armor piercing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it any better at penetration that standard m855 clones?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is it any better at penetration that standard m855 clones?
View Quote

Yes according to my comparison.

I posted this earlier:

My shooting partner and I have been shooting this on and off since the summer.
We found that:
1. It is HOT ammo. One of our rifles exhibited flattened primers and several were pierced.
It may have had an out of spec chamber and or a tight leade. The recoil is snappy.

2. It is the most accurate standard 62gr military issue ammo I have ever shot. we were able to get MOA at 100 yds bench rested with a good barrel.
The projectile is very long and works great in a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

3.The front part of the core is much harder that the rear part which seems to be mild steel.
It completely penetrates 3/8" mild steel railroad tie plates at 50 yds. It is an excellent barrier buster IMO.

It is much closer to AP than M855's wildest dreams.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this a statement from experience?

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#27]
We're sorry, only 281 of 'Carl Gustaf NATO SS109/M855 5.56X45/.223 62grn 1,000rd Can' (A556CG) currently available.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#28]
$50 shipping on a case to me up here in Washington.  Gonna pass.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am curious as to how much more effective this ammo is vs standard M855....hopefully someone can do the AR500 test.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am curious as to how much more effective this ammo is vs standard M855....hopefully someone can do the AR500 test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR500 is hardened steel plate and very resistant to almost all common military rifle calibers.  You would need something like .30 caliber AP, or a high powered rifle, to do any significant damage to it.

I'd be more interested to see how much it will penetrate through wood and mild steel, barriers you are much more likely to encounter in the real world.  

I'd love to see how it would preform in this test!

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have several AR500 targets and regularly shoot 855 at it, probably 10k rounds, even at 25 yards it barely puts a dimple in it....  I have also shot 3/8 AR500 with 30-06 AP and 7.62x55r AP at 50 yards with just a small dimple, no dent on the back side, just dimple on the front.  Its gonna take alot more than that to punch a hole in 3/8 AR500.  Now regular mild steel it will punch a hole through easily...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I just stumbled across it today and bought a case on impulse before reading this thread, but now I'm a little concerned. Has anyone shot this ammo suppressed? Also, one guy said to not fire it in a 223 chamber no matter what. What would be the worst that would happen if I tried it in a wylde chambered 10.5 build?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is a youtube video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2TBoP9Aoow

Those plates are only 1/4 thick....
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yes, I have several AR500 targets and regularly shoot 855 at it, probably 10k rounds, even at 25 yards it barely puts a dimple in it....  I have also shot 3/8 AR500 with 30-06 AP and 7.62x55r AP at 50 yards with just a small dimple, no dent on the back side, just dimple on the front.  Its gonna take alot more than that to punch a hole in 3/8 AR500.  Now regular mild steel it will punch a hole through easily...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I expect it to do very little to a 3/8 AR500 plate, bullet construction is very different from traditional M855. I think their is a chance it will penetrate AR500 when fired from a 20" barrel at very close range.

I'll probably try it myself since no one else has tried it yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I see they list "recent production" as 2007+, but what year were the apparent issues with this ammo corrected? Is it 2012 and after?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]
AR500 is what tanks and armored cars use. 5 inch thick mil spec steel is what is most commonly used these days.

Steel isn't dense enough to pierce it. Thats why most armies use RPG's  or Carl Gustov's other creation the M45  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr3iH7vNco

a focused energetic monroe force moving as a very high 6000 fps  can penetrate dense materials vs gun powder at 4000 to 5000 fps .  Yes you can hit armor like this at 4000 FPS but the steel will just shatter. You have to go down the periodic table with something with greater tensile / density .

So you need to pierce AR 500 you have to go with Tungsten ammo and get danger close to it . Its like a graphite pencil being thrown. .
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

AR500 is what tanks and armored cars use. 5 inch thick mil spec steel is what is most commonly used these days.

Steel isn't dense enough to pierce it. Thats why most armies use RPG's  or Carl Gustov's other creation the M45  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr3iH7vNco

a focused energetic monroe force moving as a very high 6000 fps  can penetrate dense materials vs gun powder at 4000 to 5000 fps .  Yes you can hit armor like this at 4000 FPS but the steel will just shatter. You have to go down the periodic table with something with greater tensile / density .

So you need to pierce AR 500 you have to go with Tungsten ammo and get danger close to it . Its like a graphite pencil being thrown. .

View Quote
M193 will punch 1/4 AR500 when shot from a 20" barrel, sometimes it will do it from a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#38]
with 5.56 rounds and steel plates at short distances, its more about velocity than it is bullet construction.  this is why its been known for many years that M193 will penetrate 1/4" AR500 at very close range while M855 will not.  however, at longer ranges M855 will out-penetrate M193 and M80.  

the metric that NATO uses to compare bullet penetration is at what max range a round will penetrate standard NATO armor plate (3.5mm mild steel).  M855 penetrates it out to 570m (iirc), while this Carl Gustav (Nammo NM229) does it out to 625m.  the upgraded less toxic round (NM255) will penetrate NATO plate out to 725m

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
with 5.56 rounds and steel plates at short distances, its more about velocity than it is bullet construction.  this is why its been known for many years that M193 will penetrate 1/4" AR500 at very close range while M855 will not.  however, at longer ranges M855 will out-penetrate M193 and M80.  

the metric that NATO uses to compare bullet penetration is at what max range a round will penetrate standard NATO armor plate (3.5mm mild steel).  M855 penetrates it out to 570m (iirc), while this Carl Gustav (Nammo NM229) does it out to 625m.  the upgraded less toxic round (NM255) will penetrate NATO plate out to 725m  
View Quote

Since the Aimsurplus stuff is supposedly new shipments.... do you know how to tell between the two, or what year they changed?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Since the Aimsurplus stuff is supposedly new shipments.... do you know how to tell between the two, or what year they changed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the manufacture date is on the brass and also on the plastic bag they are sealed in.  all of this so far has been 09-10 stuff.  the NM255 didnt start production until 2012 i think and was supposed to be NATO qualified last year
just saw this at ammunitionstore.  its the exact same thing as the CG labeled can just with a different sticker.  they even use the same description

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#41]
When mine shows up I will post about it.

I ordered another 200 rounds of Aim's latest shipment too. We will see then... finger's crossed

BTW: I'm assuming Aim is reusing their photo from the last batch.

It would also make sense though that they are selling off the "worse" stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

When mine shows up I will post about it.

I ordered another 200 rounds of Aim's latest shipment too. We will see then... finger's crossed

BTW: I'm assuming Aim is reusing their photo from the last batch.

It would also make sense though that they are selling off the "worse" stuff.
View Quote

i doubt that the new version will ever hit the surplus market

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I see they list "recent production" as 2007+, but what year were the apparent issues with this ammo corrected? Is it 2012 and after?
View Quote

Nammo had 30 million rounds of NM229 they had to buy back last year and apparently dump on the American market; don't expect to see any of the replacement NM225 ammo in the USA any time soon.

In regards to "issues" with the NM229, basically the new NM225 ammo has a longer boat tail to reduce barrel fouling, a new leaded primer, and a new no ammonia smell powder.

Best guess is they traded away some soft tissue lethality  with the NM225 design, but improved barrel life and long range ballistics.
Probably people shooting NM229 in HK416's (or anything else with a tight bore) might want to choose something else, as you'll probably get over pressure signs and more airborne metal exposure.
What would be very interesting is to see how the NM229 performs in a polygonal bore
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The increased plate penetrating range of the NM255 is probably a function of its longer boat tail giving it a higher retained velocity at distance versus the NM229
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Thats shitty

Would I be putting my gun or self at risk by only using a 1000 rounds?  Or better off selling the lot entirely?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thats shitty

Would I be putting my gun or self at risk by only using a 1000 rounds?  Or better off selling the lot entirely?
View Quote

most people have zero issues with it

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
AR500 is hardened steel plate and very resistant to almost all common military rifle calibers.  You would need something like .30 caliber AP, or a high powered rifle, to do any significant damage to it.

I'd be more interested to see how much it will penetrate through wood and mild steel, barriers you are much more likely to encounter in the real world.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLitgXZnjjw&index=13&list=PL7337CFD1A573C18F
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLitgXZnjjw&index=13&list=PL7337CFD1A573C18F

Looks like I need to stock up on some M856
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#48]
It's kind of surprising, but not really when you look at the total length of the massive bullet (the reason why the M16 turned into a 1-7 twist weapon in the first place).  I wonder how it does in ballistics gel!

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I answered my own question!

Wow, that looks absolutely devastating!  ....maybe I should just stock up on that stuff!

Looks like it makes short work of concrete walls too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQRmHVTze-g
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thats shitty

View Quote

The Norwegian's in Afghanistan said this:

"We have been repeatedly on the range and shot up to 200 shots per person, per session each day. Most feel strongly chest discomfort, throat and oral cavity after this shooting, which leads to uncomfortable cough for several hours after the shooting is completed. "

The fact that such problems were reported at both OUTDOOR and indoor ranges is concerning, but it's tempered by the fact it was large groups of people shooting the stuff all at the same time.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dagbladet.no%2F2009%2F03%2F06%2Fnyheter%2Finnenriks%2Fforsvaret%2Fhelse%2F5158015%2F&edit-text=

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I've destroyed barrels with as little as 1000 rounds of this ammo (stainless matchbarrel). Chromed barrels usually have a lifespan of 5-7k before they start opening up the group size radically.

Nammo had to buy back a lot of these from the Norwegian Army, because of several different issues (illness, barrel life, pressure).

Over here, most shooters will not use them in their personal guns.

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top