Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 6:05:35 AM EDT
Of these three "budget" type .223 rounds, which is the more accurate and consistent, WOLF Gold, PMC Bronze or American Eagle (black box)  ?  Are all about the same or does one stand out more than the other ? What average size groups from a scoped 20" barrel ? They all seem to be about same price . I know, buy a box of each and try them, but maybe some reviews and opinions to know what to expect. -Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the three PMC bronze would be my favorite ammo.

The PMC is a lighter 223 loading, but the accuracy is very good, it is clean shooting, and the brass is excellent for reloading.

American eagle is in my opinion, meh...  The brass is good, but you have to check each bullet with a magnet.  I shoot competition so magnetic bullets are an issue for me.

The wolf gold seems okay.  I have fired a good 400rds of it and feel it is typical wolf smelly powder.  Accuracy was acceptable, shot reasonably clean, and the brass is reloadable.  I checked the first 10boxes of the wolf gold with a magnet and found nothing sticking to the magnet.  

For the price point I would go with the PMC first, then Wolf gold second.  I would have to be hard pressed to buy the AE.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Last month I built a free float 20 inch using a BCM standard barrel, nothing special.  A super sniper 3-9x, just something to reach out to 5-600 yards easily enough.

First day I zeroed at 50 yards on a bipod.  The American Eagle you are looking at was doing 1 inch or more at 50.  I shoot a lot of Wolf Gold and it was about the same.

The best grouping at 50 yards that day were with Fiocchi 55 grain and the Swiss Geco 223.  Those groups were right at an inch as I recall.  While this wasn't eye opening they did outperformed the American Eagle/Federal and Wolf Gold.

Ive shot a lot of standard PMC, mostly at microwaves and cactus at 300-500 yards.  Its never stood out as being particularly accurate or hot.  The XTAC stuff is probably a little better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Wolf Gold gets my vote. I shoot three types of ammo, Wolf Gold, PMC X-TAC Green Tip (M855), AE XM193.

Wolf gold, despite beaching the cheapest has been what I've shot the tightest groups with. I've also pulled apart all three and it's loaded more or less exactly like the XM193 rounds with the PMC having less powder content than the other two (though quite accurate) PMC Bronze, which is what you're considering, is loaded even lighter still.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Of these three "budget" type .223 rounds, which is the more accurate and consistent, WOLF Gold, PMC Bronze or American Eagle (black box)  ?  Are all about the same or does one stand out more than the other ? What average size groups from a scoped 20" barrel ? They all seem to be about same price . I know, buy a box of each and try them, but maybe some reviews and opinions to know what to expect. -Thanks
View Quote

Also look at Independence, Palmetto usually sells it for around 7.70 a box.  Which is slightly more than Wolf Gold sold for 6.79 at Aimsurplus.  I cant tell a performance difference in the 2, just reliable source of ammo for you at a decent price.

Do you have access to distances farther than 100 yards/meters?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]

You must had the old stock of the WOLF Gold, which is made in Serbia. Those are ok with dirty powder.

The latest WOLF Gold is made in Taiwan by factory that made 5.56 for the US military. Clean burning and accurate. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I've consistently chrono'd PMC bronze in the 2600-2700 MV range out of a 16" CL 1-7. I had one lot with an ES of 14 and just over 2600, that lot would hold about 1.3 MOA which is great for budget ammo. The next lot had an ES of almost 100, closer to 2700 FPS, and wasn't nearly as accurate.

I haven't shot any wolf gold and only a little bit of AE black box, but I don't remember it jumping out to me one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
a year ago, I would have said American Eagle, but the last thousand or so has been unimpressive.

I would go with Wolf Gold. ATM it is good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
PMC for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like all three are GTG, meh, and not so good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]
PMC Bronze - very good
WOLF Gold - good
American Eagle - sucks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Prvi 55grain FMJ is a pretty decent option as well. It usually groups around 1" at 100yrd out of my guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]
PMC
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
i'd pick the Wolf golf from Taiwan because i had some PMC bronze last year that would not cycle in my FN 20" GI barrel, a colt 20" A2 barrel and a Colt M4 barrel in temps below 40 degrees. its the most under powered 223 ammo i've ever had, just cuz it looks pretty all dolled up in that box doesnt mean much.

of all those 3 brands, the current Wolf gold is the only one with neck sealant and built to M193 specs. i dont see how you could even argue the case against it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Have there been gel tests of Wolf Gold to see if it performs like M193?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have there been gel tests of Wolf Gold to see if it performs like M193?
View Quote

I haven't seen any gel tests but the guy on Military Arms Channel (youtube) chrono'd it along with LC XM193 and the velocities were almost identical.

I've bought 200 rounds but haven't had a chance to fire any yet.

I've shot a lot of PMC Bronze and it's fine for practicing / plinking. It cycles both my 16" and 20" just fine but feels like a weak loading. Accuracy for me is not great.

I'll second what was said above about Prvi M193. For me it's as accurate as LC and is always less expensive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Tried out all three today at the range. All seemed about equal, with the WOLF Gold leading the pack slightly, followed by AE, then PMC. The PMC hit lower than the other two and always had a flier in the group. The WOLF turned out the best group of the day, and was the most consistent. The AE produced some nice groups also but not as consistently as the WOLF. Thanks for all the responses to my post.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tried out all three today at the range. All seemed about equal, with the WOLF Gold leading the pack slightly, followed by AE, then PMC. The PMC hit lower than the other two and always had a flier in the group. The WOLF turned out the best group of the day, and was the most consistent. The AE produced some nice groups also but not as consistently as the WOLF. Thanks for all the responses to my post.
View Quote

Those were my results as well between Wolf Gold and AE. I've shot PMC also but not on the same range day to directly compare. Both were pretty close but the Wolf Gold shot groups slightly tighter, and did so consistently.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those were my results as well between Wolf Gold and AE. I've shot PMC also but not on the same range day to directly compare. Both were pretty close but the Wolf Gold shot groups slightly tighter, and did so consistently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone on this forum posted chrono data for Wolf Gold 55gr several months ago.  It was very impressive - something like 3200fps avg with a SD of 19.  Yup - 19.  I bought a couple of cases after seeing the data, but haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty good video about WOLF Gold

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top