Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:10 PM EDT
Will a 50gr TSX work well out of a 1/7 twist?

I got a 1/7 to shoot the 70gr TSX as it is better further out, but i here it has issues with petals opening after passing threw a hard barrier or auto glass And that the 50gr doesn't.

Basically i'm looking to get my ammo down 2 a short range and a med/long range 556 round, that both work well out of my 1/7.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, 50gr TSX bullets shoot well from my 1-7 (and 1-8) barrels.
The bullet is plenty long enough to shoot well from a fast twist barrel.

That said, I'd still prefer the 70gr TSX for game/longer range.

Edit--> As said in later posts, the Black Hills 50gr TSX load uses a different constructed bullet (compared to components available)- and is what I use. As a light bullet, it sheds velocity/energy pretty quickly- but at any home defense range, it is highly recommended. For longer range, the 70gr TSX has quite a following and a good track record. I find either option offers advantages and disadvantages, but either choice also works well for most applications. If you already have some 70gr loads, you are well equipped.  HTH
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
For what use?

The 50gr TSX was designed for duty, penetrating auto glass and auto doors. It has thicker petals, thus a higher velocity expansion threshold ~2300 fps vs the ~1800 fps for the other TSX.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what use?

The 50gr TSX was designed for duty, penetrating auto glass and auto doors. It has thicker petals, thus a higher velocity expansion threshold ~2300 fps vs the ~1800 fps for the other TSX.

View Quote

Depending on which one you use. The Black Hills 5.56 load uses a special bullet that you can't get as a component, it is indeed thicker. The 50 gr TSX component bullet is a lighter construction.

OP, what's the interest in a longer range load? The BH 50 gr TSX 5.56 load should get you full expansion out to 150 yards or so from a 16" gun.

ETA: Yes it'll work fine out of a 1/7. It does for me at least.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Depending on which one you use. The Black Hills 5.56 load uses a special bullet that you can't get as a component, it is indeed thicker. The 50 gr TSX component bullet is a lighter construction.

OP, what's the interest in a longer range load? The BH 50 gr TSX 5.56 load should get you full expansion out to 150 yards or so from a 16" gun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For what use?

I wanted to get some of both just because, I knew the 70gr was nice along all ranges but i wanted something that works well on car's and such.

As we have a large population of FSA in are small town that are well equipped with "assault car's and sonic sound deceives".
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The 50 should be your best "short" range bet, especially on cars. It will shoot fine an anything from 1/7 to 1/12. The POI is a little different from most other loads so check it. Get a box or two and try it in your gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have fired 50 rounds of BH 50gr TSX rounds from my 1/7" twist and it does fine for me. I only use the round for HD and have tested it from 5-25 yards only since HD distances are not that great in my home. I've also some BH 77gr Match HP in the black and white box but  I do not know if it is the same thing as MK262 from Black Hills.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top