Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 6:28:31 PM EDT
Have Rock River Predator Pursuit with Leupold VXIII Scope.  20" AR 1:8" barrel.  Shoots everything I put into it 50-55-69-77 grain into 1 MOA or less.  Even keeps M855 at around 2 MOA.

Shot it this morning prone bipod with Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match and a 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing reload at 200 yards.  Little wind.  Handload making 5 shot groups at average 0.72 MOA.  Same as FedMatch.

Same place, same wind or lack of, same targets, same everything, Winchester Power Max Bonded 64 grain Deer/Antelope .223 Remington shot a 12" tall by 8" wide group at 200 yards.

You could hear the stuff screw up.  Bang and the action cycled briskly.  Pop and it picked up a new round, but sounded weak.  Then a couple Chug-a-Chugs where weak axx pressure didn't cycle the AR bolt all the way, just enough to pick up a new round.

ZERO malfunctions ever in 3-4000 rounds through this rifle and none today.

Just this ammo grouped into 6 (six) times the size of anything I ever shot in this rifle before.  No group.  Just a pattern.  Absolutely useless accuracy wise.  $120 delivered wasted on this stuff.

I am NOT going to use it for a hog hunt scheduled.

If YOU think you have good stuff there, you better test it before you rely on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not encouraging.  That's the same weight bullet in their Razorback rounds?  Or is this that same ammo?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have Rock River Predator Pursuit with Leupold VXIII Scope.  20" AR 1:8" barrel.  Shoots everything I put into it 50-55-69-77 grain into 1 MOA or less.  Even keeps M855 at around 2 MOA.

Shot it this morning prone bipod with Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match and a 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing reload at 200 yards.  Little wind.  Handload making 5 shot groups at average 0.72 MOA.  Same as FedMatch.

Same place, same wind or lack of, same targets, same everything, Winchester Power Max Bonded 64 grain Deer/Antelope .223 Remington shot a 12" tall by 8" wide group at 200 yards.

You could hear the stuff screw up.  Bang and the action cycled briskly.  Pop and it picked up a new round, but sounded weak.  Then a couple Chug-a-Chugs where weak axx pressure didn't cycle the AR bolt all the way, just enough to pick up a new round.

ZERO malfunctions ever in 3-4000 rounds through this rifle and none today.

Just this ammo grouped into 6 (six) times the size of anything I ever shot in this rifle before.  No group.  Just a pattern.  Absolutely useless accuracy wise.  $120 delivered wasted on this stuff.

I am NOT going to use it for a hog hunt scheduled.

If YOU think you have good stuff there, you better test it before you rely on it.
View Quote

http://www.winchester.com/Product-Service/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, already sent Winchester the info.

Their remedy, if any, doesn't help the next guy who might rely on the stuff being accurate enough to use.  I understand most rifles do "best" with something and less well with other things.  But this RRA never shot anything other than very well.  Erratic powder charges that you can hear don't promote accuracy.

If you buy it, test it before you use it.

PowerMaxBonded 64 and RazorBack are different packaging.  No clue what is in RazorBack.

(Looking on the web, the PowerMax is a bonded core lead and jacket bullet while the RazorBack seems to be a one piece copper bullet.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting experience. It matches my experience with that bullet except it was in 22-250. For a rifle to go from shooting 1/4" groups to 4-6" was a bit shocking especially for the price paid and assurances that it was great stuff. I never took it deer hunting either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I had bad groups when working up a load with that bullet.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top