Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2014 11:55:40 AM EDT
So Last night, I decided to try the Wally World Specials Tulammo 308

Open up a Box and Shot out of my 308 Bolt Action.

For the most part it was accurate to 100 yards, I am thrilled with the accuracy.
1 MOA @ 100yds, Cool

Out of 20 Round Box, I had 4 FTF (Fail to Fire)

Has anyone shot more than a box of these?
I have had good luck with the Tulammo 223, never had a Fail to fire, only a couple of Fail to Eject out of over 1K rounds.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Light primer strikes/hard primers.  Put them through again, they'll go off the 2nd time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Light primer strikes/hard primers.  Put them through again, they'll go off the 2nd time.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Why have I never tried this?!? .... I just waited a couple of minutes, then ejected, and disposed of them.
I figured it might be like fireworks, if it's a dud, don't relight it... Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot at least 3 boxes through my Sig 716 with no problems at all. I know that's not a lot but no failures to fire yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For the most part it was accurate to 100 yards, I am thrilled with the accuracy.

1 MOA @ 100yds, Cool

View Quote
i guess there's no reason to buy match ammo then, steel cased gets it done

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 MOA @ 100yds, Cool

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 MOA @ 100yds, Cool

100 yards is one thing 300yds is a whole different ball game.
I'll keep what I have to plink with, but definitely not going to hunt with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like your gun needs a new spring.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like your gun needs a new spring.
View Quote

Hadn't thought about that... Only have shot  52 rounds out of it, not including the 4 ftf's
Savage Axis XP, 6 months old...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Never seen it at Walmart,
how much was it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never seen it at Walmart,
how much was it?
View Quote

$10.89/bx plus tax for 20 I believe, definitely less than $11,  I'll be selling some of mine soon on EE, I have about 17 boxes left, I'll just keep a few for myself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've shot at least 3 boxes through my Sig 716 with no problems at all. I know that's not a lot but no failures to fire yet.
View Quote

Same here.  Don't much care for the stuff, mostly due to the odor/gassing but I've put a couple hundred rounds through my 716 with no issue.  I don't have a picture to show for comparison but from memory I'd say those strikes do look awfully light.  With a little work you can find the Colt/Silver bear .308 at the same level or cheaper but in your situation it may be less accurate.

My Sig really likes Privi and it can also be found under $0.60/rd.

If you are getting under 1 MOA with Tul - I'd go ahead and get a new spring in there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
never seen any 308, i shot a box of 223 with zero probs once though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Tula and the Hornady steel match ammo in 308 have problems with both a hard and deeply set primer.

I cant speak specifically to the Tula loading, but the Hornady steel match ammo, per Hornady is Tula steel case and Tula primers.  The Tula primer is set deep and hard for use in semi auto rifles (M1a, G3, FAL, etc) that have longer firing pin protrusion.  My own experience with Hornady steel match and the phone/email conversations with customer support all pointed to too short of firing pin protrusion in my rifle being the cause of failure to light.  I had similar "light" strikes on primers, and these same rounds wouldn't light if I tried to re-fire them.

Hornady took care of me on this by sending me replacement ammo other then steel match.

I have seen others shooting Tula ammo have the same problem, and I feel it isn't a light strike so much as a too short firing pin to reliably light off this loading.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Put about 60 rounds through my PTR 91.

Accuracy was not earth shattering but it was fine for what it was (.50 cents a round or a little less).  Sighting in, plinking, and just getting the feel of the gun it was fine.
All cycled fine, no FTE or FTF (aside from a surplus magazine issue).

Only downside was the smell which doesn't bother me but it might bug some folks, and it is dirty.  My bolt was dark dark black and covered in soot after those 60 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
this is all i can afford to shoot in my '91 clone never had one not go bang.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tula and the Hornady steel match ammo in 308 have problems with both a hard and deeply set primer.

I cant speak specifically to the Tula loading, but the Hornady steel match ammo, per Hornady is Tula steel case and Tula primers.  The Tula primer is set deep and hard for use in semi auto rifles (M1a, G3, FAL, etc) that have longer firing pin protrusion.  My own experience with Hornady steel match and the phone/email conversations with customer support all pointed to too short of firing pin protrusion in my rifle being the cause of failure to light.  I had similar "light" strikes on primers, and these same rounds wouldn't light if I tried to re-fire them.

Hornady took care of me on this by sending me replacement ammo other then steel match.

I have seen others shooting Tula ammo have the same problem, and I feel it isn't a light strike so much as a too short firing pin to reliably light off this loading.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, Firing Pin Lenght makes sense the way you explained it.

I have emailed Savage to see what can be done.  I'm assuming the Spring should be fine, but you never know, I'll inquire about the firing pin as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 MOA @ 100yds, Cool

He measured the best three shot group and used that one to claim the 1 MOA result.  The other groups that measured 5+ MOA he just ignored.

I've never tried Tula, but I have tried Herter's which I believe were manufactured at the same factory that produces Tula.  Couldn't hit anything at 300 yards using my RGS rifle (iron sight from the bench).  Even the lowly Winchester White Box hit the target consistently at 300 yards.  I'll try the Russian stuff with my AR-10 @ 300 yards next time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have emailed Savage to see what can be done.  I'm assuming the Spring should be fine, but you never know, I'll inquire about the firing pin as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firing pin protrusion if too long will pierce primers and can cause damage to the firing pin and bolt face.
Your rifle probably works perfectly with normal ammo and will have zero issues with light strikes.  This is straight up an ammo issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He measured the best three shot group and used that one to claim the 1 MOA result.  The other groups that measured 5+ MOA he just ignored.

View Quote

I really did get 16 rounds through quarter size hole @ 100

with just a bipod, no bag under stock
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I too was very surprised at how accurate it was through my GSR at 100yds, horribly dirty though.  After 50 rounds of LC and 20 rounds of Tula  my action was getting gummy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Savage Responded and wants me to send the Rifle back to them for repair.

My Dilemma, should i send it back?
Or chalk it up to hard primers on the Tulammo?

I'd really like to think the rifle is ok...
or would i be dumb not to send it?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
120 rnds each though my Scar and Pof, both 308, 0 problems of anykind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Right on, I'll send it in anyways, worse they can say, is it is just fine...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Out of 200 rounds of this, I've had 5 or 6 light strikes with my DPMS.  Also FTF on rapid fire.  Brass next time for me.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top