BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2014 3:19:06 PM EDT
Note from Stan Widener...

Welcome To Widener's

To all our customers.

Data breaches are all too common in these times, and unfortunately, we have become a victim of one. We have been hard at work determining what happened and doing everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Here’s a summary of what we have discovered and what we have done about it:

Just prior to February 16th, there was a brute force attack on the site that we now believe allowed access to some customer credit card information. Fortunately, we keep very few customer records in our on-line database. Since there is very little information on the site, exposure is minimized just in case something like this ever happens. We were alerted to this potential breach by a few customers, and we are fortunate that it was so small.

When our internet provider later discovered the attack, we immediately took action to prevent unauthorized access. Since that time, we have further tightened security. We have also performed internal audits to insure all our in-house systems are free of problems.

At this point, we believe we have identified only a few customers who were affected by the incident, and we have done everything possible to prevent recurrence of this activity. If you suspect you have had a problem due to doing business with us, please let us know immediately. We sincerely apologize for any difficulty this has caused.

Sincerely,
Stan Widener
President, Widener’s Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc.

============================================
============================================

Neck beard's web crawlers were apparently looking for more than 22 rim fire ammo.

This will not go well for the perps when the Serbians and Israelis find out someone is screwing with their NO.1 ammo outlet to the U.S. markets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
sent an email to the address on the website
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the notice and it's very professional of you to let us know and one of the reasons you have such a great company.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Stan, I purchased IMI Razorcore with my Discover card on 3/31.

I have not made any purchases with it since then.

Discover called me today, someone called and added another purchaser to my account, changed the address, and requested a new card.

I'd check and be sure your card processing problem is really fixed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to add to the snafu, but I purchased some Razor Core long about 5 days ago, with a brand new card, as my original was hit with 2 unauthorized charges.
My replacement card got hit with 3 more, for 200.00 on each transaction.
I have only made one online purchase (at your site) since getting my new card..........

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to add to the snafu, but I purchased some Razor Core long about 5 days ago, with a brand new card, as my original was hit with 2 unauthorized charges.
My replacement card got hit with 3 more, for 200.00 on each transaction.
I have only made one online purchase (at your site) since getting my new card..........

View Quote

thats just crazy.....

sounds like more than just a data breach at the web sire or CC processor. sounds more like an inside job. they better get the shit figured out soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have made many purchases from them over the past 10 or more years.

There are a lot of other options out there, (Aim Surplus, SG Ammo, etc...)

I don't want to deal with this credit card identity theft BS again.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
They have a great deal on Wolf Gold .223 for $320/1,000.

Buy a pre-paid Visa to make the transaction.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I placed an order last week after the first snafu.  I called and asked beforehand if they had things worked out and was assured they did.  I did place my order on the web with my card afterwards.  I watch it every day now for any activity after seeing these posts.  So far, I'm good.  Wish they'd get this crap worked out.  Often times no one else has what I want and certainly not for the same price as them.  Earl
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^^ what he said. Too many other vendors that you don't have to worry about your card getting hacked.
Google : Wideners credit card, and your eyes will pop out. This problem is much more widespread than Wideners wants to admit.
I will never purchase anything from them again
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

^^^^ what he said. Too many other vendors that you don't have to worry about your card getting hacked.
Google : Wideners credit card, and your eyes will pop out. This problem is much more widespread than Wideners wants to admit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea that there is only one website that has compromised credit card info & all others are safe is ridiculous. The fact is if you shop online anywhere you're payment info is out there. The only thing between the info being safe & being stolen is anyone with the skills to decide they would like some of someone else's money. There are only two ways to *protect yourself from having your identity or CC info stolen:

1. Don't shop online
2. Hope the online vendor stores & processes data offline & destroys the data 90 days after purchase. Which hardly anyone does.

*Nothing is 100% safe & there is always a way, even when shopping at a local store your CC info can be stolen, either by a compromised machine or an unscupulous employee. The only fool proof protection is to not use a credit card at all.

This threat could be even more widespread as recent discovery of a vulnerability called Heartbleed was found in the code that is suppose to encrypt & protect website data called SSL. In short there will always be ways for smart programmers to discover vulnerabilities & to exploit them for those who decide steal from others. I'm sorry for anyone that has had their info stolen & had to deal with the insanity of rebuilding their financial life. For those that haven't, just realize nowhere is safe when using electronic transactions. Physical money is much harder to steal than invisible one's & zero's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a new update on there home page:

Please excuse the inconvenience!
Ordering via the web site has been temporarily terminated to allow for security and design upgrades.
Phone orders in at 1-800-615-3006 as they are 3rd Party Processed and Secure!
View Quote

Just to clarify, I have no affiliation with the site, company, etc. I have never even ordered from there as I don't like their policy of requiring ID before purchasing. But figured this would help those who do shop there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Count me in as a victim also. My Visa card was hit with 2 charges after I ordered something online from this vendor. It was about a week in a half ago. I had a noticed placed on my credit card account stating that I need to call them. They had flagged a couple of suspicious charges and had to close it out and send me a new card. I had read about these issues with Wideners prior to placing my order but thought it was all cleared up. I was wrong.

Drew
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I had my card info stolen from their site last month. I'm not gonna take them off my ammo suppliers list however. I've bought ammo from them for a few years now and have been very happy with the product, price, and customer service from Widener's. They will get this problem worked out eventually. As was mentioned above any business that takes credit card info online is subject to be hacked. Simple truth in today's online environment. Risk you take for the convenience of using your card.

Shabo
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Too many other vendors that you don't have to worry about your card getting hacked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many other vendors that you don't have to worry about your card getting hacked.

No such mindset. No matter how "secured encryption" is boasted, there is and forever will be the potential for a security breech. It's a cyber cat and mouse chase... My bank has automatically canceled my Visa/Debit card on three separate ocassions over the past 5 years stemming from a potential security breechs. While is is aggravating, I am thankfull in the end that I have not fallen victim to identity theft.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  IMHO they dicked around too long before taking this seriously.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I am just an Ostrich, but when you compare Wideners breach to the massive breaches to Target, Neiman Marcus, Sally Beauty, etc in the past 6 months. I am talking about an estimated 100,000,000 customers cards/info stolen, this is small change.  I feel bad for the guys that have had issues.  I made an order during this whole crap(late Jan) and so far I have been fine.  I have had my card hit many times over the years, no idea where they got the info from, but each time it cost me nothing, except a short phone call to my CC 1 800#.  If you use a credit card, there is always a chance it will get compromised at some point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I let this run for a bit so people would see it, but it's not a tech topic.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top