Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2014 12:36:55 PM EDT
What's the skinny on the Hornady 70 gr GMX TAP Barrier?  Has anyone here tested or read any published ballistics tests on this round?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
From Hornady own promotional shots:

Autoglass:

Plywood

Sheetmetal

DryWall

Other than the drywall shot, they don't look very impressive.  Can't find a price on it, but one site prices the 5.56 55gr GMX at 27.00 + shipping.  This would be a pass for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the 70gr. GMX is too long for mag length.  IIRC, the ogive is too long.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the 70gr. GMX is too long for mag length.  IIRC, the ogive is too long.
View Quote

It would not be loaded to 5.56 pressures as part of their Tap LE line if it was not mag length.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
so there trying to copy the 70gr tsx and failing?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so there trying to copy the 70gr tsx and failing?
View Quote

The TSX preforms pretty similar.

AutoGlass

70gr PDF
62gr PDF

Looks better through plywood but gets same results against steel and autoglass.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad round if you found a deal on them, but there are better options out there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It would not be loaded to 5.56 pressures as part of their Tap LE line if it was not mag length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then they changed something in there smart guy.  Because they were not able to be loaded to mag length in the past, as that was one of the biggest complaints about it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well then they changed something in there smart guy.  Because they were not able to be loaded to mag length in the past, as that was one of the biggest complaints about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I looked in the Hornady load manual for the truth.
Mag length is 2.250"
70 gr GMX C.O.L. is 2.235" with 2800 FPS
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mag length is 2.250"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mag length is 2.250"

And again, I will restate, that there was something changed.  When these came out, there were no 70gr. loads from the factory, and nobody loaded them to mag length.  There was a pretty simple reason for that.....they were too long.  Hell, there were threads on here with people scorching Hornady for their lack of thought regarding that.  Glad to hear that is now an option.  Thanks for looking it up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not a bad round if you found a deal on them, but there are better options out there.
View Quote

Better options?  I am interested and would like to hear about the other options.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Better options?  I am interested and would like to hear about the other options.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tacked thread at the top of this forum. Best choices for SD ammo. READ READ READ, wealth of knowledge in there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And again, I will restate, that there was something changed.  When these came out, there were no 70gr. loads from the factory, and nobody loaded them to mag length.  There was a pretty simple reason for that.....they were too long.  Hell, there were threads on here with people scorching Hornady for their lack of thought regarding that.  Glad to hear that is now an option.  Thanks for looking it up.
View Quote

Nothing has changed. It's a direct competitor to the Barnes TSX bullet. It can be loaded to magazine length just fine... and always HAS been able to be loaded to magazine length.

You may be thinking of the VLD style, 75gr Hornady A-Max, which is too long to load to magazine length, but is NOT the same bullet as their 75gr BTHP, which CAN be loaded to magazine length.

Left to right: 77 SMK, 70 GMX, 70 TSX

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Doc Roberts seems to consider the 55 gr 5.56 round as an acceptable barrier blind load FWIW.

I remember seeing some expansion velocity testing results  a while back, seemed like the GMX has tougher petals than TSX at the expense of needing more velocity for reliable expansion.

The 70 gr TSX is a 350+ yard expanding bullet, not sure how much of that I'd want to give up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Doc Roberts seems to consider the 55 gr 5.56 round as an acceptable barrier blind load FWIW.

I remember seeing some expansion velocity testing results  a while back, seemed like the GMX has tougher petals than TSX at the expense of needing more velocity for reliable expansion.

The 70 gr TSX is a 350+ yard expanding bullet, not sure how much of that I'd want to give up.
View Quote

Minimum expansion velocity sometimes get thrown around without a good definition.  Sure they are technically expanding but probably not like many people think.

Nosler E-Tip

30cal GMX at 3400, 2700, and 2000
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
For comparison, here is a 64gr Golddot at 1923fps.  God I love these little bastards.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#17]
We are truly living in a great time for shooting an AR.  The amount of badassery, is mind blowing.  Man I love his game.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We are truly living in a great time for shooting an AR.  The amount of badassery, is mind blowing.  Man I love his game.
View Quote

I can remember 15 yrs ago trying to find a descent heavy for caliber load in .224 for hunting medium game.  I think the Scirocco had just come out, the 64gr Winchester PP or a heavy match otm where the only choices.  None of which were really Ideal.  Now, WOW!  You have to wade through 10 bullet makers to find the one your gun likes best.  Choices are great.

P
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can remember 15 yrs ago trying to find a descent heavy for caliber load in .224 for hunting medium game.  I think the Scirocco had just come out, the 64gr Winchester PP or a heavy match otm where the only choices.  None of which were really Ideal.  Now, WOW!  You have to wade through 10 bullet makers to find the one your gun likes best.  Choices are great.

P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

P, you are our hero!  Well at least mine! LOL    I am down in the Houston area, and get to exterminze some animals now and again........nothing on your scale.  You ought to be on ome ammo mfg's pro staff, with field testing.  In all seriousness!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

P, you are our hero!  Well at least mine! LOL    I am down in the Houston area, and get to exterminze some animals now and again........nothing on your scale.  You ought to be on ome ammo mfg's pro staff, with field testing.  In all seriousness!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

Broker the deal, you get 15% and I'll sign the papers!

P
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top