Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2013 4:41:02 AM EDT
I saw aim surplus has some Wolf Gold .223 55gr, does anyone have any experience with this???
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
they want 8 bucks a box... not really that good of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
the Wolf gold .223 Ive used in the past has had Prvi headstamps  and it worked as well as Prvi regular stuff, it used to cheaper than Prvi but that was back pre-09
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I just purchased 700rds from AIM Surplus. I looked at their website and it looks like it is loaded to M193 spec 3250fps. With the climate today I think it is a fair deal. Not great but just kinda meh... I'll try it out.
http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=117

For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, can anyone who recently purchased this stuff report back?  Who makes it and what is the headstamp?  Is this Prvi?

Thanks.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, can anyone who recently purchased this stuff report back?  Who makes it and what is the headstamp?  Is this Prvi?

Thanks.

HighSpeedSteel
View Quote

My order from AIM has shipped and will be here on Monday. I will take a pic of the headstamp. Ill have a range report by that weekend probably.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
They are now made in Taiwan.
Theres a blue stamp on the brown cardboard container box that says 'Made in Taiwan'
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Good enough for Uncle Sam
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/11/09/taiwan-replenishing-us-556-ammunition-stocks/
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf is working with a Taiwanese arsenal now producing this ammunition.

20 rounds out of an M16A2 20 inch barrel at 1030 feet above sea level
with an ambient temp of 80 degrees F gave an average velocity of 3224 fps
and a SD of 19 fps

Out of a 16 inch 1-7 inch twist barrel it gave an average of 3074 fps
and a SD of 19 fps for 20 rounds.

I fired three 10 round groups off the bench using a Les Baer Ultimate National
Match Space Gun using the competition iron sights. Average group size at 100 yards
was 1.2 inches.

Zero issues encountered with it out of a 16, 20 and 24 inch gun.

Good news that Wolf has brought another manufacturer into the US market....
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
The head stamp on the cases read REM 223 WOLF
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wolf is working with a Taiwanese arsenal now producing this ammunition.

and a SD of 19 fps

I fired three 10 round groups off the bench using a Les Baer Ultimate National

Match Space Gun using the competition iron sights. Average group size at 100 yards

was 1.2 inches.

Zero issues encountered with it out of a 16, 20 and 24 inch gun.

Good news that Wolf has brought another manufacturer into the US market....
View Quote
Wow, that sounds like some good shit.  Glad I picked up a couple cases.  Now if only they'd finish the oil well that's got my range closed

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
and a SD of 19 fps

View Quote

A SD of 19fps??  Seriously?  Wow - that's phenomenal!  I just ordered a case of this stuff a couple of days ago - you just made me really glad I did!
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
For the last month or so I've been sending quite a bit of the new Wolf Gold .223 down range. It's really good stuff, and honestly it surprised me.  Here's more info.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

For the last month or so I've been sending quite a bit of the new Wolf Gold .223 down range. It's really good stuff, and honestly it surprised me.  Here's more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7GB6RD4kI

View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7GB6RD4kI
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Got in 25 boxes of Gold from Aim Surplus, and it is really good looking ammo.

I am looking forward to trying this out. Glad to see good reports on it so far! For the extra $1 per box or so, I prefer buying the brass case to the steel case.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got in 1000 rounds. I fired some Lake City at my target 50 yards away first to get a baseline. Then, I switched to Wolf Gold. POI was almost exactly the same as Lake City; maybe 1/8" lower. However, I have an adjustable gas block for my suppressor and Lake City will lock the bolt back fine on an empty mag with the gas turned down to "suppressor" mode. The Wolf Gold cycled fine, but wouldn't lock the bolt back. The ejection path of the Wolf ammo was also different from the LC. I suspect the Wolf is lower pressure than the LC, so I will have to remember to switch my gas block to "regular" for it. Accuracy wasn't bad, either. Using my Aimpoint, I was able to get a little under an inch at 50 yards. I wasn't really going for accuracy, though, so it could probably do a little better. I like the brass cases since I am going to start chopping my .223 brass down to make 300 Blackout brass.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
My Colt has no issue with it at all...and I get tight groups...so I now have 2000 rounds of it, which set me back about 700 beans.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot about 300 rounds today from a Colt SOCOM barrel and 6920 barrel.

Pretty good accuracy, similar POI to my PMC X-Tac M193.  Cycled fine both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Its GTG. It shoots about 1-1.5 MOA out of a Rainier select barrel. Out to 400 my dope on it is the same as no M193. Haven't choreographed it though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its GTG. It shoots about 1-1.5 MOA out of a Rainier select barrel. Out to 400 my dope on it is the same as no M193. Haven't choreographed it though.
View Quote

Now dance! DANCE ya varmit!!! *bang*bang*bang*
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Just did another, more in-depth test of Wolf Gold. I shot 4 rounds of Lake City and all were in the bullseye at 50 yards. Then, I switched to Wolf and fired 25 rounds at the same target. All 25 rounds were consistently 1 inch low and a little to the left. Also, I still had some issues with the bolt locking back after the last round when the gas block is on suppressed mode. On regular gas, it locked the bolt back fine. It will be good plinking ammo, but after my Lake City is gone, I am going to start reloading my own to near 5.56 velocity. Then I will sight the gun in for that and only use Wolf when at the range or for my Slide Fire stock. Not bad ammo for the money, though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the wolf gold crimped and or sealed?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#25]
yes and yes
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The old Wolff Gold was re-labeled Partizan but now the new stuff is from Taiwan.

Does anyone know if:
- it is reliable?
- it is copper jacketed or steel with some copper flashing?

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The old Wolff Gold was re-labeled Partizan but now the new stuff is from Taiwan.

Does anyone know if:
- it is reliable?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anyone know if:
- it is reliable?

Please read the thread before you post.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Just did a review on this myself. Functioned 100% and grouped about 1.5 inches at 100 yds. I got it for .36 cents a round.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4EgEfoNTYs
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just did another, more in-depth test of Wolf Gold. I shot 4 rounds of Lake City and all were in the bullseye at 50 yards. Then, I switched to Wolf and fired 25 rounds at the same target. All 25 rounds were consistently 1 inch low and a little to the left. Also, I still had some issues with the bolt locking back after the last round when the gas block is on suppressed mode. On regular gas, it locked the bolt back fine. It will be good plinking ammo, but after my Lake City is gone, I am going to start reloading my own to near 5.56 velocity. Then I will sight the gun in for that and only use Wolf when at the range or for my Slide Fire stock. Not bad ammo for the money, though.
View Quote

Change in average POI is irrelevant.  What was the size of the Wolf group compared to LC?  I'm curious because I've always found LC to be weak in the accuracy department, but saw some fairly impressive chronograph data for the Wolf Gold that was indicative of good accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I must be the only one who has been having issues with this ammo.  Granted, my AR isn't fully broken in yet, I probably have about 200 rounds through it, but every time I've tried using it, it fails to feed and eject.  The rounds get stuck in at an awkward angle inside the receiver, and the spent cases get stuck too.  My rifle cycles American Eagle just fine though, ejecting at the 4 o'clock position.  

Possibly a gas issue with my gun?  I've been using nothing but Gen 3 Pmags so I'm pretty sure it's not magazine related.

EDIT:  Also, this is the recent Wolf Gold, made in Taiwan.  Not the Prvi stuff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Change in average POI is irrelevant.  What was the size of the Wolf group compared to LC?  I'm curious because I've always found LC to be weak in the accuracy department, but saw some fairly impressive chronograph data for the Wolf Gold that was indicative of good accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got ~3/4" group at 50 yards shooting 20 rounds. Had one flyer, but I am pretty sure that was my error.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I import and sell this ammunition.  I have also shot several thousand rounds of this ammunition.

My simplistic approach is that if I am going to sell this stuff I better trust this stuff.

I know that Federal XM193 gets a lot of rave reviews..... but realistically it is second rate stuff....

My go to is IMI 5.56 and this  Wolf Gold.   I have over 100 mags loaded with it right now and I will guarantee you that you will not have a misfire, short stroke or FTE with this ammo.

Best bang for the buck....

I own it.. I shoot it... and I sell it...

Enough Said,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Please remember that Lake City is almost always factory seconds..... or at the very least overruns.  

IMI, Wold Gold, Samson, Radway.... will almost always be more accurate.....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top