Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2012 1:19:43 PM EDT
I went to my local Dick's today to see what their prices looked like on ammo. I ended up picking up a American Eagle black box 100rd value pack and a few 20rd boxes of PMC Bronze. What I found interesting was their selcetion of .223 and 5.56 ammo they had in stock. The other boxes of ammo (and the majority of what they had on the shelf) were all Ballistic tipped from various manufacturers (Ultramax, American Eagle). I just found it strange they had so much of this type of ammo and not FMJ. Maybe this is normal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They just got into the black rifle game- learning curve

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
come on now, u can't leave us hanging without pics or prices, give us a price/box at least
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The dicks close to me had a good bit of ammo but the prices where from 7.99 to 9.99 a box. They had PMC, XM193, and some AE stuff. Then ammo cans 420 rounds green tips for 179.99 a can. Hope that helps some one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
come on now, u can't leave us hanging without pics or prices, give us a price/box at least

Oh man I almost forgot...speaking of pictures. They had a few boxes of Winchester PDX1 .223 hollow points. I though about picking some up for HD ammo, I can say I'm glad I didn't. I opened about 4boxes and found that about 5-6 of the rounds in each box (out of 20) had the bullet pushed down into the brass. Lack of QC at Winchester? Considering they were about $34 per box you would expect those to not make it out the door.

Sorry I don't have a picture I should have taken one to show what they looked like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Their prices have always been ridiculously high and the selection poor at the local Dick's, but maybe there's hope
if they are starting to stock some decent stuff.

Interestingly enough, Wal Mart had some Hornady Zombie Max .223 55gr. recently.  It was in the $20 range though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yep. what surprised me was the troy stuff my local dicks has in stock- mags, slings, etc.. their prices are a bit high but sign up for a rewards card and you can get some coupons/ rewards gift certificates back
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#7]
because FMJ ammo is hard to find, people are scrafing it all up.
What is available is the expensive ballistic tip, hollow point ammo that people don't normally buy for plinking and everyday shooting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
because FMJ ammo is hard to find, people are scrafing it all up.
What is available is the expensive ballistic tip, hollow point ammo that people don't normally buy for plinking and everyday shooting.

THIS is the answer.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad gave me a 10 dollar off coupon on the back said excludes ammo but I talk to this hot girl working there for a min in she let me use it so find a coupon then find a hot girl in see what will happen. I got 250 rounds of 12 ga for 45 bucks next time I will try it for some 223.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dad gave me a 10 dollar off coupon on the back said excludes ammo but I talk to this hot girl working there for a min in she let me use it so find a coupon then find a hot girl in see what will happen. I got 250 rounds of 12 ga for 45 bucks next time I will try it for some 223.

I live in Maine, that won't happen.

I have been meaning to get over to Dicks and ck them out, but I HATE going to the Mall.  Maybe I'll do some recon after work today.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been buying CCI SV .22LR ammo 2 bricks at a time for $22.99/brick net (no sales tax in NH) after using the $10 off $50 coupon in the 2012 NH Fish & Game Freshwater Fishing Guide.  Coupon doesn't exclude ammo but it expires May 27th.

Link Posted: 5/25/2012 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep. what surprised me was the troy stuff my local dicks has in stock- mags, slings, etc.. their prices are a bit high but sign up for a rewards card and you can get some coupons/ rewards gift certificates back

Our store finally started carrying those items too. At least you can get your hands on them and see if you like them vs. looking at a picture online.
I'll have to keep my eye out for those coupons.

I did notice the other day that Walmart finally had .223 ammo in stock. I was suprised to see that AE .223 FMJ was 6.99 normal price.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads-up, Reb..

but at my Dicks here in Akron, Ohio, no one even bothers to show up to wait on customers in their "Hunting Shack."

If you want to spend $150+ on some inter-galactic pair of Chinese gym shoes with all the bells and whistles, there are plenty of sales clerks over there.

A "can somebody help me at the ammo counter..." is greeted with: "that's not my area..."

GREAT SALESMANSHIP!
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
The Dick's in my town was selling 500 round ammo cans of M855.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I was in Dicks and Sports Authority both this week on LI NY. 10 to 15 min wait to look at firearms, shotgun ammo is out on the floor, rifle pistol behind the counter, no bulk to be found
Kmart is no better, support your local gunshop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was in Dicks and Sports Authority both this week on LI NY. 10 to 15 min wait to look at firearms, shotgun ammo is out on the floor, rifle pistol behind the counter, no bulk to be found

Kmart is no better, support your local gunshop.

I'm guessing this plays no small part in your findings.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#18]
No fair, my Dick's doesn't sell ammo or firearms.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top