Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2012 9:22:46 PM EDT
how good is this lake city green tip xm855 ammo that comes on the stripper clips, in the 420rd box?

it will be shooting out of a 16" 1:7 twist.

good groups?

edit: groups would be for 300yrds on 10" steel to site in for coyote hunting.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's surplus (2nds) bulk ammo. I wouldn't expect amazing groups. Fine for the range and fine for plinking. It's not match ammo by any means. Good to go though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's surplus (2nds) bulk ammo. I wouldn't expect amazing groups. Fine for the range and fine for plinking. It's not match ammo by any means. Good to go though.

Yep I believe it is 2-3 MOA ammo, which is what is called for from a combat load.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
not trying to shoot it in a match, just around 300 yards for coyotes. but i would like to be able to site the xm855 in @ 300yrds to hit 10" steel targets everytime so @ 300 yards. im likely not to miss the coyote. if you know what i mean. is the ammo gtg with something like that?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the ammo is capable of that, and most likely so will the gun (which make BTW) if you do your part.

ETA: Does the weapon have an optic on it or is it iron sites?
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
its an Adam Arms 16" 1:7 piston upper, XTC comp. with a 552 eotech.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
not trying to shoot it in a match, just around 300 yards for coyotes. but i would like to be able to site the xm855 in @ 300yrds to hit 10" steel targets everytime so @ 300 yards. im likely not to miss the coyote. if you know what i mean. is the ammo gtg with something like that?

thanks

There are better options at 300 yards for coyotes........... I would really recommend a hunting bullet.  It's not IMO very humane to use m855 ball and risk it passing through the coyote and having it suffer. There are hunting bullets for a reason.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Not awful and should be fine for yotes...
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
some lots are better than others

I bought 2 seald cans of LC M855.

I get groups 6MOA and larger with my 2-M4`S

I wont buy LC ever again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
how good is this lake city green tip xm855 ammo that comes on the stripper clips, in the 420rd box?

good groups?

thanks.

Do you call them?
Im just wondering why the 300Y?
Ive had them run right up on me

Are you going to zero at 300Y?

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
no iv never tried calling them, they just show up all over the place when i am sitting in my deer stand or on my trial cams. most of them are really big.. and the deer are moving on... id like to have the ability to have a 300yrds zero (which is my current zero) with an over all round that i can use for targets as well as coyotes. if possible i would like to only need to buy one type of ammo, so if im out sitting in my stand enjoying the woods or out shooting and i see one, i dont need to change ammo or zero. right now i shoot PMC bronze 55gr for targets. i just ordered 420 rds of the xm855 federal green tips. 62gr. to try it out because my brother said that all he used in afgan. thats all he uses for in his AR. that the 62gr stabilizes a little better. the green tip kills the bad guys just fine, so a coyote would be no different. his words, not mine. he did 3 tours, and a lot of trigger time. so, not that im doubting him.. i just want the job done right, so thats why im posting.

thanks

Quoted:
Quoted:

good groups?

thanks.

Do you call them?

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't shot M855 at anything other than paper, but I did kill my first ground hog with a M856 tracer

If you want accurate M855, get some IMI M855 from Widener's before it's gone.

Otherwise, like others have said, use a more capable round for hunting. I recommend any of the Black Hills flavors. I personally use either 69gr SMKS (hand loads), 75gr BTHPs (Black Hills), and I now have some 77gr OTMs (Black Hills). Those will all fly well from your 16" 1/7.

That, or Hornady V-max 55gr seem to be very popular for varmint and yote hunting.

-Will
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Was that XM855LCAC1 or XM855LC1AC1?

The former was marked "NOT FOR DUTY USE".

ED

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ED

im talking about the new ones, the ones that are not marked " not for duty use"   they are a 2011 batch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
M855 shot great for me. Bought at WallyWorld.
initial sight in with Fed. 62gr. M855 ball @ 50 yrds.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

thanks

Ok, back up. XM855 on steel targets is not good to go, they are designed with the steel penetrator for a reason. This ammo will destroy the steel. If it is your steel and you don't care, knock yourself out, but if it isn't your steel, I doubt you'll make any friends using that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Ok, back up. XM855 on steel targets is not good to go, they are designed with the steel penetrator for a reason. This ammo will destroy the steel. If it is your steel and you don't care, knock yourself out, but if it isn't your steel, I doubt you'll make any friends using that stuff.

At 300 yards it is very unlikely it would do anything to a proper steel target.  It's not armor piercing ammo.

You're right, I only say that because even though OP specified 300, wanted to be sure that he knew the reason nobody was raising a flag was due to the range, not the ammo type. Just hate to see someone ding steel they didn't mean to because they assumed it wouldn't. Just erring on the safe side.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#18]
If your looking for a better quality M855 penetrator, go with Winchester Ranger. They are hard to find since they are "LE ONLY" (not a law just a distribution rule).
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

its my steel on a privet range. my brother is a welder/ fabricator so there is no shortage in steel. we just like the look of shredded steel after a nice day of shooting.....
im just trying to find a happy medium on ammo. that will shred steel and still could be used to take out coyotes without buying different brands and grain. we have a problem with them on our land running down deer. i would like to solve the problem by using my AR for something other than punching steel. i dont want to change optics or zeros. im not trying to go balls to the wall coyote hunting. i just was wondering if this ammo would do the job up to and around 300yards. they are very large dogs and have to go. i dont want to shoot one and then have it suffer, and possibly not even die.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

its my steel on a privet range. my brother is a welder/ fabricator so there is no shortage in steel. we just like the look of shredded steel after a nice day of shooting.....
im just trying to find a happy medium on ammo. that will shred steel and still could be used to take out coyotes without buying different brands and grain. we have a problem with them on our land running down deer. i would like to solve the problem by using my AR for something other than punching steel. i dont want to change optics or zeros. im not trying to go balls to the wall coyote hunting. i just was wondering if this ammo would do the job up to and around 300yards. they are very large dogs and have to go. i dont want to shoot one and then have it suffer, and possibly not even die.

thanks

Then you're way ahead of me and GTG!

I have no experience with 855 for hunting, so I cannot comment on that part of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ED

Mine lot isnt XM its the real deal LC I bought it back 5 or so yrs ago.

There are other guys that have reported the same findings

Im not saying all LC M855 is bad.
Im not going to buy any to find out

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
no iv never tried calling them, they just show up all over the place when i am sitting in my deer stand or on my trial cams. most of them are really big.. and the deer are moving on... id like to have the ability to have a 300yrds zero (which is my current zero) with an over all round that i can use for targets as well as coyotes. if possible i would like to only need to buy one type of ammo, so if im out sitting in my stand enjoying the woods or out shooting and i see one, i dont need to change ammo or zero. right now i shoot PMC bronze 55gr for targets. i just ordered 420 rds of the xm855 federal green tips. 62gr. to try it out because my brother said that all he used in afgan. thats all he uses for in his AR. that the 62gr stabilizes a little better. the green tip kills the bad guys just fine, so a coyote would be no different. his words, not mine. he did 3 tours, and a lot of trigger time. so, not that im doubting him.. i just want the job done right, so thats why im posting.

thanks

Quoted:
Quoted:

good groups?

thanks.

Do you call them?

Yeah Ive seen yotes while bushwacking deer as well
And yes M855 will kill. Ive done it with M193 and M855 and other calibers

If I was wanting to kill yotes at the 300Y I would use a Soft point /TSX .
I dont think M855 will frag very well at 300Y.
The SP/TSX has a better chance on mushrooming at 300Y
Also If I was wanting to shoot deer  I would use a SP or TSX even though at the right range M855 or M193 will work.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If your looking for a better quality M855 penetrator, go with Winchester Ranger. They are hard to find since they are "LE ONLY" (not a law just a distribution rule).

MAH supplies has it instock

If I had to have M855 I would go IMI or ranger
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAH supplies has it instock

HAH supplies? My google-fu failed. What is that?

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't mean to hijack this thread BUT...I got some XM855F3 a few weeks ago, 300 rounds loose in a bag. Today i bought 420 rounds of XM855F1 on stripper clips in a ammo can. The F3 in the bag looks better quality, shinier and less dings. Both 62 grains. I been shooting the F3 and it cuts holes at 50 and 100 yards if I do my part with an occasional flier.

What's the difference if any? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#26]
so with all the mixed reviews on lake city XM855, what is a good green tip ammo? any others than IMI?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
so with all the mixed reviews on lake city XM855, what is a good green tip ammo? any others than IMI?

Win Ranger
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAH supplies has it instock

HAH supplies? My google-fu failed. What is that?

MAHsupplies   The guy who runsMAH has been a member here for a long time

my bad
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I like Prvi and PMC Xtac.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Winchester Ranger and PMC X-TAC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#31]
PMC Xtac seems to be out of stock every where i have looked. matter of fact, most everything is out of stock, other then the LC XM855...

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

There are better options at 300 yards for coyotes........... I would really recommend a hunting bullet.  It's not IMO very humane to use m855 ball and risk it passing through the coyote and having it suffer. There are hunting bullets for a reason.

this
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#33]
please do not do that
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If one consider Molon's most excellent extensive testing of military ammo one knows the most accurate of all was the IMI M855 followed very closely by the Winchester Ranger M855.

I have shot a few varied lots of LC XM855 and they are noticeably less accurate than the IMI M855 (or IMI M193)

Plus the IMI is actually cheaper in case lots ($379.99/1200 round cases)

Forgive me but with IMI considerably more accurate, reliable, consistent and cheaper what was the question???

IMI

BTW, I just checked, it is still showing "in Stock" but the M193 is gone and I would not be surprised if this is gone any day

Wulfmann
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top