Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2012 6:02:35 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been posted before, but nothing came up in a search or in the FAQ.  My questions is, do they make a .308 subsonic round that is suitable for deer hunting?  I have searched online and found several manufacturers that make subsonic .308 rounds but they don't mention if they are capable of ethically taking down a deer.  Is there anything on the market for hunting or is this something that you would have to reload?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You would want the heaviest bullet you can get, and depending on your twist, you may be limited.  There are 220+gr projectiles that are designed to expand at subsonic velocities, but those usually take a 1-8 twist to fully stabilize.  .308 may not be the best round for subsonic hunting because of the limited mass, but it can and has been done.
Personally, I want a .458 SOCOM SBR with a suppressor...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no doubt it would work, but it would stretch my hunting ethics to do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the help RDTCU.

Quoted:

That's what I am thinking.  I found these but I would like to hear from someone that has actually used them.  The price is a little steep too.

https://www.ssgtactical.com/store/productdetail.asp?id=223

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for the help RDTCU.

Quoted:

That's what I am thinking.  I found these but I would like to hear from someone that has actually used them.  The price is a little steep too.

https://www.ssgtactical.com/store/productdetail.asp?id=223

Here are the projectiles I was talking about from Outlaw State Bullets

And here's a quick comparison of your choices to put things in perspective:

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
160 bucks for how many rounds?  You could buy a reloading setup for a couple of boxes...ridiculous...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top