AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I sure would like to hear of some more range reports on this stuff,  I'm inclined to buy some, but I just can't bring myself to do it after what all I have read in this thread.  But then with my luck, after its all gone I'll find out it was good stuff.  So, shoot some more, and report back.

Well, I shot a few more 5 shot groups @100 yrds and got the same results as last time. 4 would go into about an inch with one flier out at 2 'oclock to open up the group to about 1 3/4".
Shot pretty good for "green tip", and the brass is my favorite for MK262 clone reloads.  I think it's worth the price. Up to you though.

No such thing as "fliers". You can't dismiss shots that you don't like - 10 shot groups are more indicative of the rifle/ammo's accuracy.

True, there is no question that 10 shot groups are a more accurate indication of the true accuracy of any given load.    These are not shots I "don't like", they are consistantly one or two rounds almost touching at 2 o'clock, about 3/4 to 1" out of the main group.  Maybe my barrel just doesn't like this lot of M855, or maybe I'm just lazy.  I rarely shoot M855 for accuracy, because I just don't care.  This time, I was just curious, to see if this was the cause of the "not for duty use" lot rejection.  I don't think it is. I save that sort of labor for working up my 77 & 75 gr competition loads, which get 10 shots each.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:l
No such thing as "fliers". You can't dismiss shots that you don't like - 10 shot groups are more indicative of the rifle/ammo's accuracy.

You know, while that is true and I generally agree the only place I've ever heard this made such an issue of is here on AR15.com. Many many years ago when I shot in an NRA affiliated club shooting smallbore we shot 5 round groups. I have not to my knowledge ever heard of a manufacturer who guarantees accuracy for a 10 round group. I'm also unaware of any formal accuracy matches that are shot in 10 round groups(although admittedly I have been away from any form of competetive shooting for many years). So where do you stop? If 10 is a better indicator than 5 why not 20?30?40?.

I've never shot anything living that I wanted dead more than twice and the group size didn't matter because the target wasn't stationary.M855 isn't match ammo, and we all know that.If you can pick up your gun everyday and it will put 3 rounds into 2 inches at point of aim every time I'm going to call it good. most of the time I need 1 maybe 2 rounds to do what needs done. If it will shoot 3 inches at 100 yards it will shoot better than 99.99999% of the shooters on this board when shooting from an unsupported or hasty position so why keep making such a big deal of it? I read the excuse earlier that it serves to lower the expectations of noobs from thinking they have a bad gun. I'm not convinced that lowering shooter expectations is going to make the world a better place.

As far as I am concerned if the ammo is capable of greater accuracy than the optic/reticle/aiming point subtends then it is as good as the gun, and in MOST cases better than the shooter. The end result of all this bitching is going to be that the next time some of this ammo comes up for sale the wholesalers won't buy it because it didn't move. My opinion(and we all know about those) is that for .33 cents a round delivered on strippers in a new can it's a pretty damned good deal, and it wasn't long ago you couldn't touch it for that.

Yes, I'm buying all of it I can afford and am happy to get it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know, while that is true and I generally agree the only place I've ever heard this made such an issue of is here on AR15.com. Many many years ago when I shot in an NRA affiliated club shooting smallbore we shot 5 round groups. I have not to my knowledge ever heard of a manufacturer who guarantees accuracy for a 10 round group. I'm also unaware of any formal accuracy matches that are shot in 10 round groups(although admittedly I have been away from any form of competetive shooting for many years). So where do you stop? If 10 is a better indicator than 5 why not 20?30?40?.

It's the basics of sampling.  The greater the sample of the population, the greater the accuracy of your test.  It's a fact.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the basics of sampling.  The greater the sample of the population, the greater the accuracy of your test.  It's a fact.

I understand the concept.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
So, I have read through this entire thread.

Ill just strait up tell you that i am a newb.  LOL

I was planning on buying the 420rd can from targetsportusa.

Now I am sorry if i overlooked this,

but  the "NOT FOR DUTY USE" makes me a little weary.

Has it been established that its marked as so because it failed specific QC tests, OR is it because cops cant use it due to its penetration characteristics?

I was all excited to get the ammocan, bando's and some greentips.

But now my decision is hinging on the opinions of you black rifle gurus!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the concept.

I tend to agree with bgenlvtex, I mean, this is M855 for god's sake.  All I was trying to point out was that I thought it grouped pretty well for green tip.  Worth buying..etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Has it been established that its marked as so because it failed specific QC tests, OR is it because cops cant use it due to its penetration characteristics?

Without a doubt it is labeled this way because of QC issues.  Cops specifically choose certain loads FOR their penetration characteristics.  That's why they run the 62 or 64gr bonded bullets etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without a doubt it is labeled this way because of QC issues.  Cops specifically choose certain loads FOR their penetration characteristics.  That's why they run the 62 or 64gr bonded bullets etc.

thank you for the clarification.  

So with that taken into account, is it a sound judgement on my part to keep buying PMC Broze for the range, rather than this stuff?

And depend on like Hornady TAP for accuracy and home defense?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you for the clarification.  

So with that taken into account, is it a sound judgement on my part to keep buying PMC Broze for the range, rather than this stuff?

And depend on like Hornady TAP for accuracy and home defense?

I think that's what most of us do around here.  Many will buy M855 or M193 for bulk storage/SHTF/range/plinking, because it's cheap, but for the first few hundred rounds for home defense, most will go with a premium bullet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I sure would like to hear of some more range reports on this stuff,  I'm inclined to buy some, but I just can't bring myself to do it after what all I have read in this thread.  But then with my luck, after its all gone I'll find out it was good stuff.  So, shoot some more, and report back.

Well, I shot a few more 5 shot groups @100 yrds and got the same results as last time. 4 would go into about an inch with one flier out at 2 'oclock to open up the group to about 1 3/4".
Shot pretty good for "green tip", and the brass is my favorite for MK262 clone reloads.  I think it's worth the price. Up to you though.

Do you two have anything to add about the aparent quality of this ammunition or the "not for duty" use status? I'm on page four already trying to find out first, have there been any kabooms with this ammo and second if it is generally reliable? But its getting hard to make out that information because the signal to noise ratio sucks in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a box of 300 rounds bulk packed.  I've only fired 90 of them, but they all went boom when they were supposed to.  I found all but 3 cases and didn't see any splits, cracks, flattened primers, or other defects.  I didn't chrony them or zero with them, but at 50 meters most of them hit a coffee can.  I'm sure the ones that missed were on me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  Cops specifically choose certain loads FOR their penetration characteristics.  That's why they run the 62 or 64gr bonded bullets etc.

Without a doubt it is labeled this way because of QC issues

What do you base this conclusion on? Four pages of speculation is all I read. With no solid evidence this statement is about as valid as mine," the green tips are the wrong shade of green".

Sorry, a conclusion without facts is at best an educated guess.

I'm purchasing another can or two. It's 855, it goes bang, it comes on stripper clips,in 30 round cardboard bandolier boxes,with a spoon and in a GI ammo can. All this for $129 .

It may not be match ammo but so what. If I miss my paper Zombie I just pull the trigger again and again and again.

My main worry is this deal runs out before I can purchase more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  Cops specifically choose certain loads FOR their penetration characteristics.  That's why they run the 62 or 64gr bonded bullets etc.

What do you base this conclusion on? Four pages of speculation is all I read. With no solid evidence this statement is about as valid as mine," the green tips are the wrong shade of green".

I'm purchasing another can or two. It's 855, it goes bang, it comes on stripper clips,in 30 round cardboard bandolier boxes,with a spoon and in a GI ammo can. All this for $129 .

It may not be match ammo but so what. If I miss my paper Zombie I just pull the trigger again and again and again.

I have shot 3 cans of it. It is, as has been said already, not match ammo. One of my cans had no spoon and was sealed. One of my cans had 2 spoons and was sealed. All three of the cans had strippers made of the toughest shit I've ever seen, and were VERY difficult to strip into the magazine. Someone else in this thread has also mentioned these same problems. I don't know if that is the reason they failed QC or not but they sure did go to a bunch of trouble packaging QC flunked ammo didn't they?

ETA: I see several of you refering to "Duty Use" as being for LEO use. I strongly suspect that the "Duty Use" that they are refering to is military issue for duty use.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I went to my local Cabela's today and they are selling some new cans of this stuff for $169.99 and it's "NOT" Labeled "Not for Duty Use". I purchased 2 cans of this stuff for $139 at Cabela's a month ago that's labeled "Not for Duty Use" and have had no issues. I asked them to open one of the cans and quite honestly visually I can't see a difference. I'll buy a can at $139 when it goes on sale and then pull the bullets and do a more detailed inspection and report back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
This is Igman green tip, '03 production, 30 rounds @100 yards, rapid fire. It was sold as rejected SS109 and has no NATO approval headstamp. I have some M855 Lake City from 1994 that shoots slightly better. There is so little left that it's being kept for special occasions. I've never used M193, so can't comment about that stuff. It can be done. I served in the Marines and was a multi-award expert with rifle and pistol.

Rifle is a 16" Colt Match H-bar with a full float sleeve, Accuracy Speaks trigger, and a Millet DMS-1 (at the time) off the bench.

A few mentioned what can best be paraphrased as saying that civilians don't need the ability to shoot accurately By that logic all anyone really needs is food, water, and shelter. We can all give up our arms and pick up rocks when necessary

Flame on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot 3 cans of it. It is, as has been said already, not match ammo. One of my cans had no spoon and was sealed. One of my cans had 2 spoons and was sealed. All three of the cans had strippers made of the toughest shit I've ever seen, and were VERY difficult to strip into the magazine. Someone else in this thread has also mentioned these same problems. I don't know if that is the reason they failed QC or not but they sure did go to a bunch of trouble packaging QC flunked ammo didn't they?

ETA: I see several of you refering to "Duty Use" as being for LEO use. I strongly suspect that the "Duty Use" that they are refering to is military issue for duty use.

I got the story from midway at $169. 420 rnd can NOT labeled "not for duty use" and palmetto $129.420rnd can labeled "not for duty use". Palmetto said it says that for LEO over penitration to not use it,which I dont believe. Midway said it could be labeled like this for a few reasons,1 didn't pass QC,2 lot over runs that are not going to the military and is set for civi sale and there never was a problem with QC.I am waiting for federal to get back to me with the straight scoop.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I purchased a can from Cabela's today that is "NOT" marked "Not for duty Use". Has a Lot # of SMQ11D303S026, Head stamp with Nato Cross 2011. My other 2 cans of "Not for Duty Use" are Head Stamp with Nato crosses and the Lot #'s are SMQ11B303S001. The new cans are labeled with weight on them and is designated XM855LC1AC1. Not for duty use is labeled XM855LCAC1. Some photos.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine were fine,in fact a little hotter than my "M855 62 gr" reloads
Has anyone put a chrono on these yet ??
Thanks
John
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I purchased a can from Cabela's today that is "NOT" marked "Not for duty Use". Has a Lot # of SMQ11D303S026, Head stamp with Nato Cross 2011. My other 2 cans of "Not for Duty Use" are Head Stamp with Nato crosses and the Lot #'s are SMQ11B303S001. The new cans are labeled with weight on them and is designated XM855LC1AC1. Not for duty use is labeled XM855LCAC1. Some photos.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/cojam_photos/M855001.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/cojam_photos/M855002.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/cojam_photos/M855005.jpg

Intredasting.  The different labels have me curious.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi

I just recently bought a can of the Federal XM855. My understanding is that the "X" is what IDs it not for duty use for the US military, nothing to do with LEO although the ammo may or may not meet their criteria; it's just that from what I was told, they don't use the "X" prefix because of LEO concerns

I rejected (ruthlessly) 12 rounds out of my can of 420. I could probably shoot ten of them no trouble; they have minor dents. The other two however have conical 'dings' as if from a blow with a center punch, near the neck. I imagine that another round was driven into the side of the case, which makes me think that a machine jammed up during production. I only received one 'spoon' in my case, as well.

I found the ammo to be cheap enough and good enough that I went looking for another case yesterday- all long gone. the shop has talked to the Federal rep and is looking to get more. I'd buy it again- but I'll inspect every round again, too
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't shot any from this new batch but wanted to comment on my use of previous XM855 "Not for Duty Use".

I have fired countless thousands of rounds of real M855 with no problems ammo related that come to mind.  Quality control on military purchased M855 is quite good.   On the other hand, I ran 2K of XM855 (in the same weapons) and could easily see why it was rejected for military use.  Many dented rounds and inconsistent powder loadings.  This would cause rifles to short stroke and make you wonder if the bullet really left the barrel (they always went out).  It would also cause other types of malfunctions to keep training interesting.   The ammo was great for practicing malfunction drills during CQB but that was about it.  

If it has been rejected for military use, it was rejected for a reason.  Keep that in mind and use how you see fit.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I've used that Federal 855 ammo where on the can it states not for duty use. I've fired literly thousands of rounds of it and it works just fine.
However, it doesn't even compare to my reloads for accuracy.
I had questions like several other members on this ammo. I  took to task weighing out over 1K of these rounds on a digital scale, performed a visual inspection of each cartridge, measurements were taken with a digitial caliper and 0 to 1" micrometer. The ammo was comparred to mil. spec. issued ammo, I couldn't detect any issues between the two ammunitions........
It's good shooting ammo, period...........
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Not to dredge up old issues, but if you have the patience to wade through this thread there is some good data on different issues. If I have it right;

• First, it appears the "Not for Duty Use"  are lots that were rejected due to professional level QC issues. That is not to say they are bad. In fact, throughout this thread there is pretty good evidence offered that most folks did not have any malfunctions. It seems there may have been some cases that were dented and minor blemishes- but nothing major. Personally, as a top quality manufacturer, I would not expect any less from Federal. However, it is safe to say there are questions about accuracy compared to similar rounds that were not marked in this manner. There was a gentlemen that appeared to be a professional level shooter attest to that. With pictures.

• Next, there have been constant questions about Federal/Lake City "M' vs. "XM" designations (absent the "Not for Duty Use" designation). Here is what Federal says on the "XM193";

• XM193 product is first run, first quality product manufactured at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant for Federal Cartridge and is made to Federal specifications typical for commercial ammunition.

• All XM193 product is the same regardless of the sku or part number. (ie. XM193C is the same as XM193F, XM193CBP and etc…) The only difference is the package configuration.

Notice they don't call it "seconds" or mention it is military QC "rejects". But I suspect this won't end the legend. Like Sasquatch, it will live on...

My personal experience with "XM855" vs "M855" is that using a Colt/14.5 barrel/semi-auto @68.58 meters the "M" series shot tighter groups. The difference I measured was a little less than 1 MOA for that distance (.68); Which is not really a big deal if you are plinking or having fun- which is what you are suppose to be doing. Not reading about how some guy went to the range with a ruler to measure ammo performance, when he should have been cutting the grass. Plus it could have been the humidity. Or light breeze. Or mosquitoes.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought 2 cans from BiMart labeled the same as shown in a previous post (XM855LC1 AC1), with a different lot number. There is no "NOT FOR DUTY USE" wording on the labels.

Rifle is a DPMS 1:9, 16" SS barrel. Chronograph of a 5 shot string averaged 3270, corrected for instrument distance from the muzzle. I then shot multiple strings at 25 meters, with group size a bit over 2 MOA. Acceptable to me, for range ammo. However, when I shot at a 100 meter target (prone, with sling) I wasn't able to find any hits within 12 inches of the center. Unfortunately, I wasn't using a clear target backer so I couldn't identify where my rounds were going. Curious (I can usually do a lot better than that at 100 meters) I pulled a few bullets and checked the powder charges. I don't know what powder Federal uses in these rounds to get such high velocity, but the average charge was 27.3 grains. According to my ballistics program, I should have had hits at 100 meters about 3 inches high––not spread out all over the place. I'm assuming that somewhere between 25 and 100 meters the bullets become unstable .

So, I guess I'm stuck with a bunch of ammo that shoots OK at least out to 25 meters (fine for Appleseed) but not much use at longer ranges, unless I just want to make noise. I might offer some to friends to see if their AR-15s like this ammo better than mine does.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#25]
On Palmetto State Armory's website they have the 420rnd cans that DONT have the "Not For Duty Use" on them.

They explain that this ammo is Not factory seconds and has passed all Military Quality Control. (Inferring to me at least that the marked ones do fail some QC)

I still might not take it as 100% truth, but I would guess they know more than most of us

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2251.php

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#27]
JUst curious as to where this ammo came from (what dealer).

Last week I had a can of XM855 arrive from wideners that had no "Not For Duty Use" markings on it.  Lot # SMQ11H393SS108.

The lack of markings may lend support to the argument that there was something found during a QC of the ammo.

As a side note, QC labs have very high stds they must adhere to.  It could very well be that these "Not for duty use" rounds did fail QC in some aspect that is fairly insignificant.  In general terms the criteria could have been "  "X "number of rounds must give result "Y " 99.5 % of the time.   In this case "Y" may have been 98% hence the failure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Another side of the discussion to consider:  when I was still on active duty, several times we were told in briefings that we were not to use non-issued ammunition to either replace or augment the ammunition for our duty weapon (M-16A2).  Despite these warnings, on one occasion we were made aware of an individual who was ordered to "block out" his ammunition and on inspection it was discovered that he had replaced several rounds with a mixed bag of commercial hollowpoint and tracer rounds.  Perhaps the "Not For Duty Use" disclaimer is as much to emphasize that just because it's on stripper clips and comes out of a green can, doesn't mean it's okay to use it for US Military combat duty.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top