Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2011 9:32:29 AM EDT

I spent some time over the weekend reading through some of the older threads in this forum and came across this post in a thread titled PMC X-TAC SS109 or M855? (which is now Archived):

Quoted:

I've never shot the X-tac but I'll try to edjumacate you a little about M855/SS109.

SS109 is the name of the projectile used in all M855, as well as other ammo that might not be M855 spec (like IMI or Radway that doesn't paint the tips green, or seal the primer or projectile). It could be identical in all other respects but would not pass as M855 because the "cartridge" isn't up to the specifications required to be tagged M855 by the US DOD...

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to IMI M855 as not being made to "M855 spec".  

The fact that the tips aren't always painted green is irrelevant. And while I don't know about the primers, I'm fairly certain that the projectiles are sealed, etc.

So, are there others who contend that IMI ammo (either the 855 or the 193) isn't the real-deal stuff?  Or that their M855 somehow isn't "M855 spec" ... ?

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like that poster did not read this, and has his panties in a bunch.  I do not bother with these never-be's.

Attack of the (M193) Clones, Part Two: M855 Comparison.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That's silly. It may not pass as M855 due to the tips not being painted green. However, it definitely will be SS109/NATO spec passing (which is the same spec).
The U.S. is the only country that paints the tips green to help soldiers be able to make sure they picked up the right ammo and not tracers or AP or old M193.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
IMI is superior to Fed XM855 in all areas that matter. If it is that important to you, dip tips in paint for all I care.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

...The fact that the tips aren't always painted green is irrelevant.

Quoted:

... If it is that important to you, dip tips in paint for all I care.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like that poster did not read this, and has his panties in a bunch.  I do not bother with these never-be's.

Attack of the (M193) Clones, Part Two: M855 Comparison.

Quoted:

That's silly. It may not pass as M855 due to the tips not being painted green. However, it definitely will be SS109/NATO spec passing (which is the same spec)...

Pretty much the same thing(s) I was thinking, but wondered if maybe I was missing something.

Just looking for some "confirmation".

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's silly. It may not pass as M855 due to the tips not being painted green. However, it definitely will be SS109/NATO spec passing (which is the same spec).

The U.S. is the only country that paints the tips green to help soldiers be able to make sure they picked up the right ammo and not tracers or AP or old M193.  

ZV NATO SS109 paints there TIPS  greenish blue
Also is Hotter than M855 specs

IMI still have there FORUM? I use to be a member there long ago
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top