Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:07:41 PM EDT
I need the Hornady experts to weigh in....

I've been shooting the factory loaded Red Box Tap 155 AMAX and the black FPD TAP 155 AMAX and have not noticed any difference in POI btwn the two.  I just noticed that Hornady now has the 155 AMAX loaded in a "Match" offering.  Does anybody know if it is loaded the same as the TAP or FPD ammo?  

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
After a little research it seems the concensus is that the Hoornady factory loaded 168 AMAX in TAP and Match are loaded the same other than the low flash powder in the TAP and the use of nickel vs. brass.  One would assume that the 155 should be similar, yes?

(bump)
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt you'll see much of a difference in POI, but let us know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After a little research it seems the concensus is that the Hoornady factory loaded 168 AMAX in TAP and Match are loaded the same other than the low flash powder in the TAP and the use of nickel vs. brass.  One would assume that the 155 should be similar, yes?

(bump)

I doubt there is even an atcual poweder difference in TAP... was that confirmed by Hornady?  Sounds like some specualtion to me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The new 155 grain Match is now considerably faster than the TAP load, nearly 100 fps faster. The current load #8095PM was formerly known as Palma Match and runs at 2850 fps to maintain supersonic velocity at 1,000 yards but at the cost of higher chamber pressure.

I haven't had any trouble in my standard M1A, but I have seen brass from a DPMS rifle that shows a substantial swipe from the ejector on the case head from the bolt rapidly unlocking. I don't know if it was the ammo or if the rifle is just overgassed.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The new 155 grain Match is now considerably faster than the TAP load, nearly 100 fps faster. The current load #8095PM was formerly known as Palma Match and runs at 2850 fps to maintain supersonic velocity at 1,000 yards but at the cost of higher chamber pressure.

I haven't had any trouble in my standard M1A, but I have seen brass from a DPMS rifle that shows a substantial swipe from the ejector on the case head from the bolt rapidly unlocking. I don't know if it was the ammo or if the rifle is just overgassed.

Interesting...makes me think that I may need to stick with the TAP especially given I shoot with a can quite frequently.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top