Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2009 10:56:36 PM EDT
Hi, I haven't take a look at the Ammo for some time since I got enough ammo to shoot (and I am not a heavy shooter, too busy in work). Now my Federal XM193 is finally almost out and I plan to restock. When I take a look on all the Ammo online, I got really confused. Previously, when we talked about the XM193, everyone is talk about the single one: the light brown Box (20 rds), 500 Rds in a case. However, now we have so many types of XM193, some of them have the American Eagle box, some come with the clips (900 Rds per case), ..., etc. they are all with the name XM193, but get addition suffix, C, AF, ....

What happened in this Ammo world? I might be in the cave too long. I know the ammo price is hiking crazily,  but I never expect that the XM193 type also expanding! I tried to do some search, but most link came back just tell you the price. So I need you guys' help on this.

Main question:

Are these XM193 all as good as my old, original, sweet and  favorite XM193? or some are just down graded, inferior quality?

An educational one:

How many XM193 types are we having now? (Hopefully the number won't exceed 5 or 6, since I already counted at least 3 or 4, and already lost there).  Are they just different packaging of the origianl XM193???

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I can offer no answer to your question as I am confused too.  I always thought XM193 was good ammunition until I was reading a thread about a kaboom (guy was shooting XM193) and every other person chimed in and said that's what happens when you shoot XM193.

After reading that I am a bit leery of the 6K of XM193CBP I have bought over the past couple of months.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not mistaken, the XM193 is essentially the same thing as the earlier military round, the 55 grain FMJ that was succeeded by the 62 grain M855.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Urban (ARFCOM) legend has it that's it's all the same stuff....just packaged differently.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
M193 is a military spec.  XM193 is not.  Ammo manufacturers could probably sell you just about anything and call it XM193.

According to the Internetz, at least Federal XM193 is M193 which was rejected.  There are many reasons for which it can be rejected (some of which won't matter to you), and only a few test bullets (maybe only one?) have to fail, and the entire LOT is rejected.  It could be missing a primer seal, a bullet sealant, who knows what.  It's probably the same old XM193 you used to shoot.  It could have something minor that wasn't quite up to full M193 spec, or it could be fully up to spec.

Now, as for the Serbian, IMI, and other manufacturers... what's up with their XM193?  There's probably no way to tell.  Could be the same situation, maybe not.  But  it's probably safe to assume that there's a reason why the "X" is there.

That doesn't necessarily make it bad ammo, however.  I shoot Federal XM193, and have no worries or complaints.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently loaded 1K of Federal XM193 (the brown box stuff, ordered online in Nov. 2008) on strippers, and found no obvious physical defects. Maybe others have. I think that right now, the Federal XM193, IMI M193, and Prvi M193 are the way to go. Find one of those your rifle likes (and supply is good) and stock up.

If, however, you're looking for guaranteed first quality stuff, the Speer Gold Dot M193 is it. It's on our state bid list for LE agencies, so I highly doubt it is "rejects." (That same list has Winchester Ranger M855, which is our duty ammo and is definitely not "rejects" or "seconds.")
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top