Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2009 8:05:01 AM EDT
I've been trying to find out what is the best small game 22lr hunting ammo out there? I have had many people tell me to get CCI or other brands when I look for them I find they only have the solid point rounds. I'm just taking a shoot in the dark but would not most any HP round work better the a solid point the a CCI mini-mag? Out of the ones below what one would you pick if none of them please tell me the kind you like and where they can be bought. Thanks

Winchester Super-X 40gr. Power Point HP Ammo

.22LR CCI Sub-Sonic 40gr. Hollow Point Ammo

22LR CCI Quik-Shok 40gr. Segmented Hollow Point

.22LR Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity Hollow Point

.22LR CCI Mini-Mag 40gr. Solid Point Ammo
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with CCI Stinger "hyper velocity" hollowpoints purchased from Wal-Mart. If I remember correctly they have a 32gr projectile.

I'm not really much of a hunter, but I've been doing battle with skunks for years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've killed dozens of possums and a couple of raccoons with a .22 LR and can't say I've ever shot one with a hollow point....

I take that back.  I've shot one possum with hollow points.  I got him out of the tree with an air gun, but it didn't finish him, so I grabbed my 4" Taurus 94 which happened to be loaded with some Tiger-Cat hollow points (yeah, I've never heard of them, either, but someone gave them to me; they're Hecha en Mexico, so there ya go).  I have no idea if they expanded or not.

Mostly, I shoot solids, not because they're superior or inferior, just because they're what I have the most of.  Head shots will do the job, no expansion needed.  Realistically, anything you're going to shoot with a .22 is going to die when you put a bullet in the brain pan or the vitals whether it expands or not.

I keep a 10-round magazine for my Remington 597 loaded with Winchester Super-X 40 grain solids for possum and raccoon duty.  I wouldn't have a problem using CCI Mini-Mag solids.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've killed dozens of possums and a couple of raccoons with a .22 LR and can't say I've ever shot one with a hollow point....

I take that back.  I've shot one possum with hollow points.  I got him out of the tree with an air gun, but it didn't finish him, so I grabbed my 4" Taurus 94 which happened to be loaded with some Tiger-Cat hollow points (yeah, I've never heard of them, either, but someone gave them to me; they're Hecha en Mexico, so there ya go).  I have no idea if they expanded or not.

Mostly, I shoot solids, not because they're superior or inferior, just because they're what I have the most of.  Head shots will do the job, no expansion needed.  Realistically, anything you're going to shoot with a .22 is going to die when you put a bullet in the brain pan or the vitals whether it expands or not.

I keep a 10-round magazine for my Remington 597 loaded with Winchester Super-X 40 grain solids for possum and raccoon duty.  I wouldn't have a problem using CCI Mini-Mag solids.

Thanks the only thing I have shoot with a 22lr HP was a rabed(We think) fox the first shoot was through its left eye(I was told to aim for the head then after told by the game warden that they could not test it cause I shot it in the head.) it fell to the ground and got up and ran to the back of the shed. Next shoot was center mass to the chest the fox dropped but was breathing but was not going anywhere. Last shoot was just to take it out. The fox weight was about 15 lbs.

Not sure if the HP had anything to do with it or it would have been better with the solid points, What I can say is there was no exit wound on the fox they where really worried about that cause I had shoot the fox in town.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used CCI Velocitor quite a bit with great results. It's very high velocity(for .22lr) and hollowpoint. A little less velocity than the CCI Stinger. But they are a lot more accurate in my rifles than the Stinger. A while back they were labelled as gold dot hollowpoints on the box. The newer stuff I've bought is a different point. But it seems very effective.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
CCI minimag hollow points accurate deadly dependable..  what goes into my huntin mags...
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
my favorite is cci quick shot. it's a segemented hp hyper velocity. 32grain and breaks into 3 pieces upon impact. really ruins a squirrel or rabbits day. very distinct TWAP on impact. you know when they connect.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like Eley or Wolf target for squirrels. But Stingers kill the heck out of armadillos.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think that they make it now but if you can find Winchester Super-Max, it's a great hunting load.  34 gr HP with almost the same ballistics as Super-X.  It hits a little higher at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
What ever is cheapest. I only hunt squirrels, rabbits etc. with my .22 I want as little damage as possible, so no hollowpoints.
Shot placement is key. I don't get much complaints from the targets.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#10]
CCI high velocity or CCI Green Tag. Great quality ammo
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#11]
CCI Velocitors, out of my 10/22 are very accurate and have gold dot type bullets, CCI products always seem to be high quality for the price
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've killed alot of crows with the .22 Stingers
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
For just the kill Hypers velocity stuff is great.  Looking to save meet you should look to the subsonics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont know about you when I go small game hunting I carry my Ruger 10/22 with a Bushnell rimfire 3-9 scope.

I carry 2, 25 round hot lips 2, 25 round steel lips and 4 ten round mags and at least 500 rounds.  I carry the Federal

bulk packs they work well in my gun and a good shot puts a squirrel down.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
If you decide penetration is more important for your type of small game, then solids have the advantage. Otherwise, I agree, a fast hollow-point is going to do more damage to most small game upon impact. I like the one-shot one-kill concept with any type of game, even though I realize in reality it isn't always going to happen that way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a 22LR to hunt squirrels, rabbit opossum coon and any thing I catch in a trap. I never use a hollow point and 99% of the time I get 1 shot kills. If you can manage a good head shot you would be suprised what you can bring down with a lead round nose.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I like Aguila SSS 60 grain subsonic. The heavier bullet really messes them up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like Aguila SSS 60 grain subsonic. The heavier bullet really messes them up.

I hit a possum in the head with one of the 60 grain Aguila SSS rounds out of a rifle one time and he stopped like he had been hit in the head with a sledgehammer.  Bled like crazy.

Shot another one in the head 3 or 4 times with the same ammo but fired out of a revolver and he bled like crazy, but wouldn't die (or come out of the tree, for that matter).  Switched to a .410 bore shotgun and a 3" loaded with #6 and peeled him right off the tree limb, dead before he hit the ground.

Moral of the story:  Don't use the subsonic ammo out of a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
CCI Velocitors for me.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top